WHAT IS A GOOD NITRO MOTOR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WHAT IS A GOOD NITRO MOTOR

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

I've always leaned toward O.S. as my favorite all around engine manufacturer, even though I don't currently own one. The ones I have dealt with were powerful and tuned really well too. I've only ever used or dealt with their small blocks though so I can't really comment on the big blocks they make, but the CV small block engines have always been great for a mix of good power and reliability, but unfortunately they are slowly being discontinued as they are kind of dated. I've heard the Speed Series are pretty awesome engines, the B2101 is what I'd go with for my big block truck if I had the budget for it. My 4910 old school Maxx project is going to get an O.S. .18 CV-RX for it's power plant when I get around to putting it together.

Of course besides O.S., Picco is a top contender for some good budget big blocks and I've heard great stuff about Nova, too. I currently have an LRP, but can't really comment on it yet as I have yet to run it in due to the continuing cold here. I bought it after reading everywhere about it's ease of tuning and high power output for the price. A lot of people like to use them in Basher oriented trucks and buggies.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

P5 may be the best motor period..budget motor or not!! Just saying...
Old 03-27-2015, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lagcisco
Jerm13 has it right! Get a decent budget engine first because you will end up destroying it anyways. It's expected. Then get that nice $500ish motor when you've learned.
There are many top engines that are WAYYYYYYYYY under $500. As a matter of fact my OS Speed and Cody King WC orion engines were both over 500 and the Cody King Orion was crap and had no support, from the factory there were flaws in the casing and they wouldn't even reply to emails for support. My modified X3LFM was under 500 and my bonitto was also under 500 and both of those engines put to shame the 500 dollar engines and my new non modified x3L with a filled crank is right at 300 and it has better run time than many 500 engines. Last weekend a guy had a new Samuri OS engine (over 500) couldn't get 8 minutes run time my 3 gallon old X3L got 10:13, 9:54 and 9:58 (10:13 was dry) also I had the faster lap time and would slightly pull away at the end of the straight and on the short run ups I would easily clear where sometimes he would dart into the opposite jump. Some of this could have been skill but...... it wasn't only me there was an alpha dragon and a couple of other nova engines that were keeping up and pulling away like me. On the straights it would hold its own but for the price I was NOT impressed with the run time, this weekend I will be able to run against a new tessman engine and will see how it does against my X3L...

Last edited by jeromerc; 03-27-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Alpha Club Racer and a 2090 Pipe. You'll be good for awhile ;-) $175 engine, and still not a beater....it's quite fast and reliable.

http://lutzinator.com/lutzrc/cart/in...roducts_id=147

http://lutzinator.com/lutzrc/cart/in...roducts_id=158

These guys are spot on though....get something inexpensive, but not "cheap". You will have issues learning Nitro, we all did. So don't learn a $500 lesson out of the gate. There are MANY MANY sub $250 engines that are well worth the money.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

The more interesting question is really, "what race engine available now is NOT good?"

Crickets...

How "good" a nitro engine is has way too much to do with the user and all the variables - fuel, plug, pipe, break-in, tune, etc.. - than just a brand name. Sure, the OS Speed is obviously a great race engine, probably even the ideal against which all others are measured, but at its price it's definitely not for everyone. Somebody with a clue about nitro could end up with a "better" engine from Go or Alpha than some clueless guy with a Speed...
Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I think just about any engine on the market will be considered "good" that is - run strong - perform well - and not give you issues.
- IMO anything OS based is a great engine (lrp, protek, maxima, Sworkz)
- Nova
- FX
- RC Concept
Old 03-27-2015, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thanks for all the input on motors a big help for sure.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default o.s

Overdrive RC online still lists the O.S. 21VG for 155. It's a discontinued engine but, as with all O.S engines, parts won't be a problem. I watched a young teen break in an tune one 2 weeks ago. This is a very user friendly engine, also very fast after break in. Hard to beat an O.S for that price.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrettL
Overdrive RC online still lists the O.S. 21VG for 155. It's a discontinued engine but, as with all O.S engines, parts won't be a problem. I watched a young teen break in an tune one 2 weeks ago. This is a very user friendly engine, also very fast after break in. Hard to beat an O.S for that price.
I ran the OS 21VG for a season, and while it seemed to run OK, it was a turd on the track in a Truggy. Maybe in a buggy it would go better, but that thing could barely get out of it's own way. lol Didn't last much longer than 3-4 gallons either....then it needed bearings and a pinch to keep trucking. It did tune pretty easy though. I forget what pipe I was running, and having more experience now...it could very well have been the JP pipe I was running....can;t remember which one though.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by lagcisco
Jerm13 has it right! Get a decent budget engine first because you will end up destroying it anyways. It's expected. Then get that nice $500ish motor when you've learned.
Agreed, you would be surprised what kind of performance you could get with a budget engine and a good pipe/header combo.
for one of my bashers, an old Inferno MP7.5 I bought a $140 Dynamite .21...put on a Jammin JP4 pipe. Wow what a combo.
On a soccer field this thing was topping out at 75km/hr. with a 11:70 ratio.
My advice buy a cheaper engine and enjoy it (easier to tune) then you can go for the more exotic mills when you gain some tuning experience.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Fast410
WHAT IS A GOOD NITRO MOTOR ?
I have a mugen mbx7r eco buggy i run indoors on a clay track ,i want to get a mugen mbx7r and run nitro outdoors this summer ,I dont know much about nitro and want to spend the cash rite the first time so any info on motors and clutch's would be great ..or any other pointers you can share ...
Be smart about your money,You dont know much about nitro. Get this http://www.horizonhobby.com/DYN0897?...FdgcgQodaE8AqA
Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://rex-usa.com/ELITE-5-ELITE5.htm

Based on one of the most popular engines ever made. Well priced, great performance, very reliable.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

OS Max .15 or .18 cv
Old 04-13-2015, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by imaxx21
whats your budget?
This is all about

If you have the budget , the OS Speed 2 is a great choice IMO (I am running Alpha for 3 years). Few friends have the B2101 but it looks a bit more tedious to tune. IMO the OS speed II is probably the best engine in the market.

Medium budget

Otherwise , engine like the Alpha lutz, Picco boost , Rc concept , Werks , OS clones are really proven engines and will do the job for sure. the choice is really unlimited regarding this category. very difficult to provide a judgment since the choice is so high. Most of the famous brands are ok and will not disappoint you. If your budget is limited , just take into account the spare parts price.

Low budget :

Definitly GO engines are a really good choice, few friends are running the GO and i am really impress by this cheap engine , worth the money for sure.

The last thing i will recommend regarding your engine choice is about your style of driving . Not the most important but you can take that into account. All engines have a different output power curve and some engine may suit your style and the way you manage the Throttle.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rage1945
P5 may be the best motor period..budget motor or not!! Just saying...
The Nova P5 ROCKS!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.