Wiki Posts
Search

What about a Supercross format for Nitro Offroad racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Tech Addict

Default What about a Supercross format for Nitro Offroad racing

This may be a little off topic....

I have been thinking about a race format that would be like AMA Supercross. I am a fan of Supercross as many of us are and thought that the format would apply well to Nitro RC for a special event. So what would make an event a "Supercross style" event?

Track design and starting method:
Having tracks with larger jump sections and whoops like supercross would be logical to include. A long start straight that could flex into a track layout with a land rush start would also be very interesting. I have seen starting systems that drop the cars to the track at the same time allowing the driver to rev the engine while awaiting the start. This would be better run on large tracks that can accommodate layouts and of course marshal safety.

Race Format:
I would think that running a Supercross style event would also mean a race format to provide a number of options to make the main event. A special event could limit entries to twice the number of positions on the starting grid....say 15 each heat or 30 entries or run qualifiers to seed the 30 positions. Each 5 minute heat would seed 2 direct to the main. The remaining drivers would seed into 10 minute Semi's that would then seed an additional 4 to the main. Then the final chance to get into the main through a 5 minute LCQ would fill the remaining 3 places. Then a 20-30 minute main to finish the day.

What do you think?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomErickson
This may be a little off topic....

I have been thinking about a race format that would be like AMA Supercross. I am a fan of Supercross as many of us are and thought that the format would apply well to Nitro RC for a special event. So what would make an event a "Supercross style" event?

Track design and starting method:
Having tracks with larger jump sections and whoops like supercross would be logical to include. A long start straight that could flex into a track layout with a land rush start would also be very interesting. I have seen starting systems that drop the cars to the track at the same time allowing the driver to rev the engine while awaiting the start. This would be better run on large tracks that can accommodate layouts and of course marshal safety.

Race Format:
I would think that running a Supercross style event would also mean a race format to provide a number of options to make the main event. A special event could limit entries to twice the number of positions on the starting grid....say 15 each heat or 30 entries or run qualifiers to seed the 30 positions. Each 5 minute heat would seed 2 direct to the main. The remaining drivers would seed into 10 minute Semi's that would then seed an additional 4 to the main. Then the final chance to get into the main through a 5 minute LCQ would fill the remaining 3 places. Then a 20-30 minute main to finish the day.

What do you think?
Land rush starts SUCK. It's Total crap shoot on whether you make it through unscathed.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've always thought about a supercross start but the problem i foresee is the chaos and carnage with everybody trying to get first to the turn. but i bet it would be a bunch of fun to try one day
Old 03-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

The FIRST RC PRO Was like this.

Ask any of the ol' timers about it.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

We've done holeshot starts at Thunder Alley. These type races are going on all the time. To be honest the starts ended up better than I thought.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

I agree that the starts would be a challenge unless the track was designed to handle a large wide field. Some of the supercross tracks lead into a more gradual sweeper which may be a better option. So track design is crucial.

Thing is many people are asking for land rush starts. More in Short Course than Nitro Buggy but they still ask. Others complain about the normal grid start. So you can't please everyone.

What do you think of the race format?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Super Cross start ends up being a hack fest. Unless people have control of the buggy/truggy. I know I make mistakes and can hit someone and I am careful to drive close and not them.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Starts are wild but I like the idea of big jumps and a rythem section
Old 03-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Danny B at LRT Raceway (Evansdale, IA) is going to run his points series like a supercross for quals. I don't think he is going to do starts like SC. If you have get a chance to get to one off his races you will not be disappointed. Great track, great people.
I can't wait to race during a Qual instead of doing timed parade laps.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Honestly, the traditional motocross format would be better. Rather than qualifiers, you run 2 longer races and score points for each race. Tally points and determine winner.
Of course the challenge with this would be that it's just not practical if you have more cars in a class than the track can really handle.

Supercross qualifying would be fun for a 1 off event.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

reedy race format is where its at.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I Love gate starts, Its the only way to go !!! POP that clutch and twist that baby and hang on till after the first turn.... Oh Im sorry r/c starts,,,,,pppffttt!
Old 03-04-2015, 01:28 AM
Tech Addict

I would also prefer Heads Up racing over time trials. When you have a mix of skill level it really can impact your qualifier when a slower car gets in your way.

The Reedy format is interesting since it is closer to the Motocross format with points scored in multiple heats. The drivers are not always racing the same people and the advantage goes to those starting at the front of the pack. The gate start or land rush start is supposed to equalize everyone. 1:1 Short Course in the midwest (Crandon) also does this but they have to have multiple rows like Arenacross.

The IFMAR format is close as well. When I raced in Brazil we ran IFMAR qualifying which was not bad. Qualifying defined your starting position in the Semi Finals. Finish position and time in the semi determine starting position in the main. No lower mains so if you didn't finish top 7 in the semi you were done for the day. Semis were 15 minutes and the main were 30 minutes.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

One way to avoid the slow guy messing up the fast guy during a qualifying race is to have timed practice. I have been at tracks that record your practice laps after you sign up. Then they seed the qualifiers by lap times. I think that is a really good way of doing it. There may be cases where a slow guy jumps lanes and gets into the fast qualifier but you could limit that by doing an average of say the fastest 3 laps. Not a perfect situation but I think it would seed correctly most of the time. Plus it may get people to sign up sooner so they get their laps timed. That can only make the Race Directors job easier and may save time in the morning before racing starts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.