Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Balooning Tyres Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by masher81
The foam dosn't cause the tire to balloon the rubber tire balloons.

You don't want a hard piece of tape between the tire and the foam. The inside carcass of a tire has grooves/patterns that actually dig into the foam to stabilize it. This is what is happening when you break in a tire, it is seating the inside of the carcass to the foam.
OK..... I stand corrected on the diff ..... I was just makeing an assumption no the tire tape . I dont use it.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

VP Pro had some "belted" tyres a while back, not made anymore but some are still available in Australia. But balloning tyres aren't that bad as the diameter of the tyre grows it helps with a higher top speed, same way as top fuel dragsters get huge speeds.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

try useing a hole puncher on all 4 tires and that will allow the excess air to bleed out.. racers at our track do this and have been for a while.. esp the serious ones.. and it has done well..

aka has a hole puncher but other wise just go to your local hardware store and puck one up..
Old 02-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

On the ground, I don't care for it much (ballooning) and would have started trying to do something about it if it weren't for how much control it gives me in the air.

I do a lot of jumping and I've noticed the tire sets I have that don't balloon much aren't as good for having throttle control in the air.

The tire sets that balloon up real good make for my best jumping, especially for those mean nose dives.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Any tire that I make up I put Gorilla tape on em . Keeps ballooning to a minimum .
Originally just used any brand duck tape but didn't hold up . 1/2" overlap with gorilla
keeps together , and be mindful of rotation for the overlap that you keep it same direction
Old 02-26-2015, 08:58 PM
Tech Addict

I would say thicken centre diff aswell. However Kyosho's are probably the worst culprit for ballooning the fronts as anything thicker than 5 in the centre doesn't suit the handling characteristics of the car. I have tried running a bead of glue down the centre of the tyre inside of tire rib, but hasn't really worked. I just find if I run soft or harder it's not too much of an issue. Supersofts however kill it and I usually end up destroying my body as they balloon so much on the front.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here's a pic I found of one of mine with the tires ballooning pretty consistently.

I'm not even sure if this is any kind of problem.

In the dirt is fine with me but I had a set of Proline street tires that did this and wore the center down after only a few runs that got so bad so quick that one of them tore down the middle.

But with this particular set shown in the pic, I do all my jumping with ALL my cars I run this set on.

They're Duratrax Lockups.
Attached Thumbnails Balooning Tyres Question-dsc00589.jpg  
Old 02-27-2015, 01:40 AM
Tech Master

Bushman, here's a pic of my JQ Yellow Edition at speed at the Shepparton, Vic track with the VP Pro belted tyres, no ballooning.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ozziii
Bushman, here's a pic of my JQ Yellow Edition at speed at the Shepparton, Vic track with the VP Pro belted tyres, no ballooning.
Wow ozziii Your JQ and those tyres look like they have max grip and traction sorted. If I can source those VP Pro belted tyres, that will save me messing about experimenting with the 'Sikaflex' and fibre tape. My driving skill has a very long way to go, before I get near to the level of our clubs 'Ace' drivers, but my choice of tyres do suffer from rapidly loosing their tread pattern in the centre portion. Your tip is much appreciated Paul, thanks.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:48 AM
Tech Master

Sent you a PM about tyres Bushman.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ozziii
Sent you a PM about tyres Bushman.
Thanks a million ozziii you're a diamond.

Pheew, I thought I was going to be doing a lot of messing around trying to get this problem under control, but thanks to you and Jason at UltraHobbies, the problem will be no more.

Thanks guys

Old 02-28-2015, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

All good mate, glad I could help.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's called diff'ing out. Center diff (or front diff or combo of front and center if in a turn) is too light or not filled enough or leaked out. These diffs are"open diffs". Power is sent to whichever wheel has the least amount of traction just like an old muscle car that doesn't have posi-traction (or the various different names given by manufacturers) will only spin one rear tire when doing a burn out. A posi-traction car will burn both. With r/c's we adjust our diffs anywhere between open and posi-traction with the thickness of the fluid. Less traction on any given tire on our cars comes from the lack of load on the each tires and the looseness of the track under each tire. Light center diff + punch it out of the hole = weight transfers off the front tires and then spin up (or diff out). The thicker the center, the less this happens.

Make a left turn and punch it + light center diff + light front diff= weight transfers off the front left and onto the back tires and front right and so the front left spins up and balloons.

It's a balance too. You can't just put 100k in your diffs and expect your car to handle right. It needs differentialing action in order to handle. Also, let off the gas!