Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of getting back into nitro

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Thinking of getting back into nitro

Well i have been thinking about getting back into nitro. Im and electric guy and kinda miss the noise. I have not played with nitros for years so it would be a learning curve again. I really want a truggy for my next vehicle. Its going to be 100% bash vehicle. I want something pretty durable and am open to suggestions. I would like an rtr but am not set on an rtr. I do not want to break the bank with this one something in the $500 range. I am looking at an ofna hyper ss truggy rtr (not the caged one) and the nexx 8t rtr. They look really similar and are both well within budget. I have been using brushless vehicle a lot so i want something about as powerful as i can get in that range. I know it wont be anything compared to 6s brushless but still. Will the truggys be able to do 40mph or so? Any other rtr's you would suggest? Tower hobbies seems to have the best deals.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Durango just came out with some new cars I think. A truggy I know, not sure if there's a nitro RTR though.

The NEXX8-T is basically a Jammin X2 CRT, which is a reasonable quality basher. Not sure on the engine, but I would think it's a good place to start.

I imagine others will chime in and tell you to get a pro kit, which would undoubtedly be better, but would easily cost double what an RTR would. Unfortunately the RTR nitro truggy market (or electric for that matter...) is a bit slim at the moment... I don't know of any better than the Ofna... The Hyper might be alright too...
Old 02-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info, I know a pro kit would be better but I'm not wanting to spend $1000 at the moment. Also I would like to get a kit that also has an electric conversion kit available for it just in case I end up not liking the nitro. I like the looks of the hyper ss better but I want what is best for the money.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

There's some really nice used stuff out there, all brands. Be patient and look around.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

I've been looking the used area too but I'm thinking I want to buy this one new and break it in myself. Anyone have any input on these? I also like the inferno neo st but looks like it has a small motor. Will it be slower? See I'm the kind of guy that likes way more power than I know what to do with and then some.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

Personally I think you will be disappointed in the the power, quality and performance of an rtr truggy if you're used to brushless motors in decent cars, servos are usually only just powerful enough and not that fast either.

Are you bashing just anywhere or at a track?
Old 02-10-2015, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Im just bashing pretty much anywhere. Right now I have a flm built emaxx brushless. Just jumps and dirt/mud and speed runs.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

RTR isn't a good choice, the engines are unreliable and generally less powerful than most "budget" motors sold separately.

Find out what's the most solid and reliable truggy, go with that, then get a decent reliable engine to stick in it, no need to get the most expensive one, but a decent budget engine.

This way you avoid disappointments.

I have no truggy experience, but I'm just going to assume the Hotbodies D8T is unbreakable.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

Used nitro engines are always a crapshoot. So say you get a good used roller (you need a bit of a clue and luck there...), then say a Werks B2 with 2058 and any ole's silver clutch and an air filter, just the engine set-up will cost you $300 bucks easily.*

So..., just how firm is your $500 budget?........................................... ...............

IMO the RTR NEXX-8T is about as good as you can get for a nitro RTR truggy. Yes, of course it would be great to get a Mugen MBX7T with fancy servos etc. for $200, but I don't think that's going to happen. Maybe look for an RC8T used. You'll almost certainly have to bump up your budget though to get going.

No doubt a good race kit is better than an RTR. But getting up and running with something good for $500 firm is not going to be easy IMO. The best advice would probably be as stated: be patient and willing to nudge up your budget, possibly step by step, and find a good used truggy kit with servos(Mugen, Losi, AE RC8T, Hot Bodies D8T), radio, etc.. Then get a new engine. Sometimes you can get new ones unused here on the forum or ebay for better prices. Amain has the Novarossi P5XLT on sale (or did anyway...) for a great price.. You can try to scrape by with a used pipe an starter box, etc.. In any case, it will require some patience, searching, time, and almost definitely more than $500, but you'd end up with something better. Assuming that is that the roller and electronics you get are a good deal and not ragged out.

You could open a thread in the WTB section, and see if any good offers come up. It would seem to me you could post them here and see what people think. That way you'd have a bit more security than just answering some random guy's PM.

* I forgot a starter box with batteries. Add $100. (OK, maybe less used.. But you still need it..)
Old 02-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Used nitro engines are always a crapshoot. So say you get a good used roller (you need a bit of a clue and luck there...), then say a Werks B2 with 2058 and any ole's silver clutch and an air filter, just the engine set-up will cost you $300 bucks easily.*

So..., just how firm is your $500 budget?........................................... ...............

IMO the RTR NEXX-8T is about as good as you can get for a nitro RTR truggy. Yes, of course it would be great to get a Mugen MBX7T with fancy servos etc. for $200, but I don't think that's going to happen. Maybe look for an RC8T used. You'll almost certainly have to bump up your budget though to get going.

No doubt a good race kit is better than an RTR. But getting up and running with something good for $500 firm is not going to be easy IMO. The best advice would probably be as stated: be patient and willing to nudge up your budget, possibly step by step, and find a good used truggy kit with servos(Mugen, Losi, AE RC8T, Hot Bodies D8T), radio, etc.. Then get a new engine. Sometimes you can get new ones unused here on the forum or ebay for better prices. Amain has the Novarossi P5XLT on sale (or did anyway...) for a great price.. You can try to scrape by with a used pipe an starter box, etc.. In any case, it will require some patience, searching, time, and almost definitely more than $500, but you'd end up with something better. Assuming that is that the roller and electronics you get are a good deal and not ragged out.

You could open a thread in the WTB section, and see if any good offers come up. It would seem to me you could post them here and see what people think. That way you'd have a bit more security than just answering some random guy's PM.

* I forgot a starter box with batteries. Add $100. (OK, maybe less used.. But you still need it..)
Do you think the nexx-8t would be fine for bashing around the house and jumps? Then maybe drop a nicer motor in later down the road. I'm really considering that or the kyosho neo race spec. Also thinking of doing a used losi but I really want a new engine so I know it's not going to be a pain to tune or messed up.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

if Nexx8t= Jammin Crt X2 (KIT) and all material and quality are equal. then, i will go for it. Back in the days, OFNA jammin had both KIT and RTR. KIT version is the only way to go. I purchased a new Jammin Crt rtr 10 years ago; i still have it. But very regret that i bought a rtr; because KIT is much much much better. with all the upgrades (due to broken); i should have bought a KIT
Old 02-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

If I end up getting the nexx is there any way to put a 2 speed in it?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I am not sure as I have never seen. But in order to make it two speed. You need to have a new two speed clutch bell; shims kit; two speed center diff or poss front and back center drive shafts etc. I doubt it worth the time to make this conversion. May have bought a Revo or an inferno Gt
Old 02-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

I don't want another revo, the truggy should be tougher. I may end up keeping the center diff idk. I just don't know if it will be enough speed for me or not. Again I'm not racing this rig just bashing it.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:15 AM
Tech Champion

I think for casual messing around the NEXX8-T or Kyosho are probably fine. Not as robust and high quality as the higher end kits, but for the money, hey...

You can get a 2-speed for the Thunder Tiger ST-1. The ST-1 is a pretty old platform, but for a basher it's great. Put an LRP Spec 3 .28 in it or Losi 454 and you're good to go. The 2-speed is like a 100 bucks though I think...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.