Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Looking into my first nitro...which one? >

Looking into my first nitro...which one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking into my first nitro...which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Default Looking into my first nitro...which one?

Hey guys. Just a little background. I've been in the hobby for four years, but have only been into electric. I do have a Losi Desert Buggy XL, and I find it fun, but many tracks around me don't allow fifth scales to be run and the cost of spares is pretty high up there. I still want a car that runs on fuel and has a real, living, IC engine in it. So I've thought I would give nitro a try. I do get the tinkering bug every now and then, so I thought why not give it a try? So I've narrowed it down to these two so far:

Ofna X3 Sabre

JQ Products "THECar"

Now I won't be racing competitively and will only be running them on the track on practice days for fun. Kinda just bashing but bashing with style. Anyway, out of the two which one would be the better choice? I've been doing some research but its been pretty 50/50 so far. I'm open to other suggestions as well...I have a limit of $450 max. Again, it won't be a competitive racer; just something I take to the track for some fun.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The ofna lx2 I think it is is, is actually a really good buggy for 299$ you have extra money for a servo and a starter box. It would do fine on the track for fun
Old 11-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

There are a few directions you can go depending on how much equipment you currently have. If you need everything (or close to) I'd actually browse ebay searching for a new 8ight 2.0 RTR setup. You'll get some components that are good quality and the buggy is still capable of winning races should that turn into something you're interested in.

If you have most of the equipment already, start looking at previous models from various manufacturers. You can find starter boxes that work just fine for about $35 and if you have a couple 2s LiPos laying around that dont perform like you want in your current 1/10 cars, covert you box over to run on LiPo (2x2s LiPo works great in starter boxes). HobbyPartz doesnt have the best stuff but it can be great for starter and receiver batteries along with a few other items.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can find starter boxes from hobby king for 35$ and I doubt you'll find a "new" losi 2.0 rtr on eBay, if you have a transmitter and are interested I'll sell you my losi 8ight 3.0 as a roller for 300$ Obo it's extremely clean, everything is fresh and done right I live in PA and could sell it locally
Old 11-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

I mean the only nitro equipment I have are a fuel bottle and a glow igniter which is probably shot from 4 years ago when I first got into the hobby. I bought a nitro back when I first started because I was ignorant and thought it was just "fire up and go". I do have 2s lipos for my 1/10 scales, but currently they both work fine for me. As for starter boxes, I'll have to learn a little more about those.

Thebombster - Thanks for the offer, but currently, being new to the nitro side of things, I'm looking for a brand new RTR so I can start from the beginning.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Buying something that has good parts support in your area is always a plus. Other than that, good luck, have fun.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Definitely smart to stick with something that has local parts support if you're bashing. There was an 8ight 2.0 RTR on there a couple weeks ago, just gotta catch it at the right time. You may be able to find one at the LHS as well (they are available out here).
Old 11-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

The turnigy 1/8 nitro buggy is only like $160 brand new. Hk actually has a very good track record with their 1/8th stuff.

I personally have a traxxas 3.3 revo and it's tons of fun, very durable and does okay at the track. Very fun at the track with the right tires but can't hang with a buggy in handling.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Tech Champion

If more bashing, then truggy.. Ofna NEXXT for ex...
Old 11-11-2014, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

The JQ rtr buggies are pretty strong & perform well for an RTR, I had one & never had any issues with it or the Alpha engine. They are compatible with the Yellow Edition kit buggy for parts & a few of the newer White Edition parts could be used as well.
The JQ buggies are pretty good & pretty strong to, well worth a look.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys! I heard truggies are more expensive when they break? Is this true? I was probably just reading something wrong since it was late at night .
Old 11-11-2014, 04:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have the JQ and I do like it but you will be at that $450 if not a bit more since you need to buy Glow Starter, glowplugs, NiMH charger for receiver battery.
All the small stuff adds up fast.

tires for truggy are a bit more $$ than for a buggy.
I bash my buggy in the grass some times and it gets around ok. I have more fun at the track thow.

I have been pritty ruff with my JQ and when I brake some thing it seams to be about $10 to $15 to get back running. other than the steering knuckle witch are $33 a side and the ones on the rtr are a week point but the black cnc ones for the yellow are the same price and bolt rite on and are rock solid.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by electricrc68
Thanks guys! I heard truggies are more expensive when they break? Is this true? I was probably just reading something wrong since it was late at night .
Not true. Plastic parts such as suspension arms are about the same( plastic is cheap no matter which piece it is). The chassis, driveline, engine, shock towers, are the same. Tires cost a little more because they are larger than buggy tires. Tires are only an issue when racing since they need to be replaced often for maximum traction. When bashing tires will last a long time.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by benny2727
I have the JQ and I do like it but you will be at that $450 if not a bit more since you need to buy Glow Starter, glowplugs, NiMH charger for receiver battery.
All the small stuff adds up fast.

tires for truggy are a bit more $$ than for a buggy.
I bash my buggy in the grass some times and it gets around ok. I have more fun at the track thow.

I have been pritty ruff with my JQ and when I brake some thing it seams to be about $10 to $15 to get back running. other than the steering knuckle witch are $33 a side and the ones on the rtr are a week point but the black cnc ones for the yellow are the same price and bolt rite on and are rock solid.
Originally Posted by Micah78
Not true. Plastic parts such as suspension arms are about the same( plastic is cheap no matter which piece it is). The chassis, driveline, engine, shock towers, are the same. Tires cost a little more because they are larger than buggy tires. Tires are only an issue when racing since they need to be replaced often for maximum traction. When bashing tires will last a long time.
Oh okay thanks guys! I think I can consider a truggy then. Any other suggestions on a truggy that would be a good choice?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Buggies tend to be a little more durable than truggies. My buddy had the Kyosho Neo RTR and he beat the crap out of it for a long time and even raced it a few times. The pullstart broke pretty quick so he got a starter box and was up and running again. Over time he replaced the engine and bought a couple hop-ups. He gave or sold it to another friend and it's still running (been at least 3 years if not 4 since original purchase). I noticed they have an MP9 RTR now so that may be worth checking out as well (no clue what the cost is).

Edit: This actually has some pretty good reviews. My buddy has a couple of the non-RTR 7s and has had pretty good luck with them on track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.