What's wrong with this* tire brand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's wrong with this* tire brand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Post What's wrong with this* tire brand?

Ok, we have one big thread about chassis brands, one not so big abount engines. Now lets talk about another performance part of 8 scale - tires.

Threads, compounds, wear, fit'n'finish, price, availability, maybe some other brand-wide aspects to talk about.

Tire brands in alphabet order:
- Aka
- Beta
- Duratrax
- HotBodies
- JConcepts
- Panther
- ProCircuit
- ProLine
- Schumacher
- Sweep
(maybe someone is missing, but main 10 are here)

After Worlds in Italy it could be very interesting thread.

p.s.: we are talking about 8th scale program only, succcess/fails of small-scale program could be ignored.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

- Aka: Fit and finish is outstanding, never had a set (premounts) come unglued. Foams are always well-seated, and I've never had any deformities in any sets I've used. Only 2 issues I have are availability and wear. It may just be my track but I find they don't wear as well as ProLine (the only other brand I've used).

- Beta: Never tried

- Duratrax: Never tried

- HotBodies: Never tried

- JConcepts: Never tried

- Panther: Never tried

- ProCircuit: Never tried

- ProLine: Fit and finish are pretty good, but has reduced in consistency in the last few months; I've had deformed/badly seated foam inserts a couple of times, resulted in bad tire balance. I've never had a set (premounts) unglue on me. Wear slightly better than AKA's on my home track.

- Schumacher: Never tried

- Sweep: Never tried
Old 11-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vandalzzz
- Sweep
Good tires, good wear, good inserts. Happy with them. Premounts sometimes come unglued.

- Beta
Wears a lot more than AKA and Sweep. Inserts not as good. Decent quality overall.

- ProCircuit
Inserts are terrible. Only really have one good thread pattern, "Hot Dice" (similar to Aka Impacts). Decent if you are looking for an Impact type tire, but inserts not as good. Needs a lot of paste when balancing them.

- Aka
Good tires. Good inserts. Good wheel.

- ProLine
Very happy with the ones I've tried.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Adept

You missed VP pro. Which in fact I find are great for the price. Close to beta but the compound is better on the VP tyres. The rest I ain't tried due to availability.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am in no way a pro or all that great at racing so don't put a bunch of thought into my post.

I got a few pair of duratrax with a car I bought used. they were posse C3 compound. to my surprise they grip as well as my HB megabites and AKA impact.
but they are easily torn/ripped and since they were premounts, the glue is awful. they come off in a few laps. they seem like a good practice or bashing tire.

I have a set of proline ion which absolutely suck at my local indoor clay track. (bought based on a local racer (wins a lot). but that seemed like bad advise. lol
and recoils. came with a car. seem to work sometimes. but when it starts to get a little layer of dust they get slippery. terrible corner traction but great forward and stopping. their rims can take a good beating and don't seem to be affected by the glue. ( I mention this because I have a set of rims that have a NH on them and they're all busted up on the glue edge. seems the plastic is being attacked by the glue.

the HB tires I have are megabites in pink and beams also in pink. decent tires but over priced. doesn't come with foams. everything tires they make are much more than other brands. not worth it to be honest.

the AKA tires I have are handle bars and impacts. lower cost than HB with the same kind of performance. not to mention they come with molded foams and their rims take a beating without busting or turning brittle from the glue.

the only J concepts tires i have are for a 1/10 buggy. but they work great and the standard white foams and rims are holding up just fine.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know that this thread is a mirror of a couple others like it, but this component is a bit different. All of these companies use their own proprietary blend of rubbers and that makes each unique. some tires just plain work better even tho their competitor makes an equally soft and nearly identical tread pattern. Track A Proline MC Electrons may be the ticket, but JC Gold Dirt Webs are as slippery as ice. Track B could be the total opposite. It differs from chassis and engies as they are all pretty much made from the same components.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Not trying to stir the pot.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoese37
I know that this thread is a mirror of a couple others like it, but this component is a bit different. All of these companies use their own proprietary blend of rubbers and that makes each unique. some tires just plain work better even tho their competitor makes an equally soft and nearly identical tread pattern. Track A Proline MC Electrons may be the ticket, but JC Gold Dirt Webs are as slippery as ice. Track B could be the total opposite. It differs from chassis and engies as they are all pretty much made from the same components.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Not trying to stir the pot.
You are right, but there are some more things outside performance only factor. Molding quality, stickers came with tires =) Maybe due to size of RC community someone gonna choose brand N over M just because of personality behind brand, behavior on RC scene and so on.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

here my 10 cents about tires I have used so far...

VP Pro: medium quality, pins are getting ripped of easily on high grip tracks, sidewalls are not strong enough and tires can get ripped apart
JConcepts: I used them just 2 or 3 times, good grip and wear, didn't like the insert
Procircuit: Working good, easy to drive as they are not providing as much grip as AKA or Prolines, so they are less nervous. Had pins ripped out though not as much as on VP Pro's
Prolines: I like the X compound on high grip tracks as they really last longer than all the rest. As they have less sidewall flex in the x-compound they can feel agressive on a bumpy track. Very consistent quality
AKA: Best rubber quality, never had pins ripped out. Wear is good (not as good as x-compound), very consistent quality and up until now my first choice (having a close look at Prolines at the moment)
Old 11-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ok, we have one big thread about chassis brands, one not so big abount engines. Now lets talk about another performance part of 8 scale - tires.

Threads, compounds, wear, fit'n'finish, price, availability, maybe some other brand-wide aspects to talk about.

- Aka Tires are good. The pre mounts actually stay glued. Best foams on the market. (Red 1/8 foams)
- Beta Never even seen a pair
- Duratrax Can be pretty decent. Foams wear a bit too soon
- HotBodies Never tried them
- JConcepts Only tried a couple of different treads. They don't work on our tracks, but quality is good.
- Panther Never tried them
- ProCircuit Never tried them
- ProLine Pre mounts come unglued instantly, and the holes are punched in the wheel instead of the tire. Tires themselves are fantastic. I can always find a tread pattern that works. The new X compounds have tons of grip and good wear.
- Schumacher Never tried them
- Sweep I have only recently tried these, but am impressed so far. The Exagons are probably the best truggy tire I have ever run. They seem to work just about everywhere on outdoor tracks.
(maybe someone is missing, but main 10 are here)

After Worlds in Italy it could be very interesting thread.

p.s.: we are talking about 8th scale program only, succcess/fails of small-scale program could be ignored.

- Beta Never even seen a pair
- Duratrax Can be pretty decent. Foams wear a bit too soon
- HotBodies Never tried them
- JConcepts Only tried a couple of different treads. They don't work on our tracks, but quality is good.
- Panther Never tried them
- ProCircuit Never tried them
- ProLine Pre mounts come unglued instantly, and the holes are punched in the wheel instead of the tire. Tires themselves are fantastic. I can always find a tread pattern that works. The new X compounds have tons of grip and good wear.
- Schumacher Never tried them
- Sweep I have only recently tried these, but am impressed so far. The Exagons are probably the best truggy tire I have ever run. They seem to work just about everywhere on outdoor tracks.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=MX304;13632197
- Sweep I have only recently tried these, but am impressed so far. The Exagons are probably the best truggy tire I have ever run. They seem to work just about everywhere on outdoor tracks.[/QUOTE]

+1.... Sweeps are my no. 1 choice. Square Armors! Never had an issue with tires coming unglued. i usually run ultra soft. good wear. i have a set on the buggy now that lasted 2 heats, a main and i will use them for practice and a heat or two at the next race. speaking of wear... something else to consider is driving style. guys who hit corners fast, and WOT to correct out of the turn will melt the tires down quickly.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Pro-Line

everything else
Old 12-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

- JConcepts. Ordered one set of Hybrids during amain sales. Nevereveragain. Pattern seems to be good enough, but look'n'feel is terrible: tire doesn't have internal reinforcement like aka or pl does, insert looks like molded from used toys. Can't say anything about track performance (ipcoming season will show), but first impression not so good.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

- JConcepts. Ordered one set of Hybrids during amain sales. Nevereveragain. Pattern seems to be good enough, but look'n'feel is terrible: tire doesn't have internal reinforcement like aka or pl does, insert looks like molded from used toys. Can't say anything about track performance (ipcoming season will show), but first impression not so good.
Might be one of the best of the year; havent had it on track but look and feel is terrible. Looked terrible at the Worlds this year too...
Old 12-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

AKA period.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Tech Addict

-AKA

Top notch. Use their foams anytime I want a closed cell foam.

- Duratrax

Top notch rubber. Very popular locally because the largest Canadian dealer was pushing them two years ago. Wheels are fragile and most people cracked a rim, while I know of only one other rim failure in that time. Inserts did not fill out the tire completely (though I hear there is a new insert now). I would not recommend pre-mounts at all, but the rubber itself is great and in some very unique tread patterns.

- JConcepts
- ProLine

Top notch all the way around but I use AKA foams for everything. Have not tried their closed cell foams.

JConcepts offer superb customer service on this forum though. We have a new track and weren't sure what tires would be choice, their rep was bang on with his recommendations.