R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #346

Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)

Thanks, Rocket!!

Leavin at the crack of dawn tomorrow for practice day. Track won't be watered at all, and will blue groove with all the racing on it, so I may have to do a little set-up tweakin, but shouldn't be much. Can't wait!!!

Talk to ya all in a few days!!!

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #347

Wow, what a weekend!!!!

First off, the race didn't have the number turnout that everyone was hoping, but the quality of drivers was very good! I'm guessing that having a heat index of 112 degrees had something to do with that. Heck, I wouldn't have even went if it hadn't of been a big race!!!...lol.

But, here's my buggy/race update.....

Had some problems on the last lap of the second heat when the input cup came off the idler gear that goes into the rear diff. I was in the 3rd at the time...bummer.
So, I fixed it by tightening the grub screw and putting some locktite on it.
In the 3rd heat it, the front one came off!!!...double bummer!! So, I done the same with it...put it back on, re-locktited it and got ready for the fourth heat.
Went to the stand for the fourth heat, and they BOTH came off before I even started the heat!!!...lol.
So, I took the cups off and put new grub screws in both of them, locktited the crap out of them and got ready for the B-MAIN, which I had BQ'ed....yuk...lol.
The cups stayed on and I won the B, and then was ready to start 9th in the A after the bump up.
I had been tweaking the buggy all day trying to get a grip on the extremely slick, blue grooved track (for some reason, on this track, blue groove DID NOT = traction!!), and I think racing the B main actually helped me for the A, in that I had an extra 10 minutes run time to see what the buggy needed.
I put on a new set of crimefighters (nothing else was working for anyone either, tire wise) on, and put ONE 1/8 inch spacer back on the rear shocks and was ready for the A. I had been softening the set-up all day due to the slick track, and had been fighting it being LOOSE all day too! NEVER had to fight that before!!!...lol.
Anyway, the main went well! I had worked my way up to second at one point late in the race, but ended up bringing home fourth place (nerves got the best of me!). All things considered, with no longer than I have been racing, and no longer than I have raced 1/8 buggy, I was very happy!! With the competition that was there, it was a great accomplishment for me and my H8!!

On a buggy note....My beloved H8 was mired in a lump of SP2's and Jammin FT's all day long!! My H8 was the only one there, and attracted a lot of attention, as most of them hadn't really seen one yet....lol. The winner of the A-main ask me how I liked it, and commented that it looked really hooked in the main (we were together for a while in the race, and beside each other on the stand). Said he was impressed with how it looked!!

In summary, I practiced it all day Friday, raced it all day Saturday, and THE ONLY problem I had with it was the input cups sliding off!! NO broken parts, nothing!!
Had a lot of people take notice of and look at the H8, as it was up to the task of running with ANY of the bugs out there!!

Thanks again Rocket for the help on setting up a buggy. I have done some reading other places as well, and it all REALLY helped me get the buggy where it needed to be for the track. The adjustments that it needed were very subtle after the initial barrage of bigger changes. It reacted sooo much to each small adjustment, what a buggy!!

Great weekend, great buggy, great fun!!!!! REALLY HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll post the results page when they are posted on the site...

Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 07-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #348
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Have you guys had any problems with wear in areas that the slop kit doesn't fix or new aluminum dog bones in the chasis?
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
Have you guys had any problems with wear in areas that the slop kit doesn't fix or new aluminum dog bones in the chasis?
Don't know what you mean by slop kit, but, I can say that I haven't had any problems with excessive wear with the aluminum dog bones, or input/output cups....

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 07-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #350
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey WYLDTHING,

Congrats on your awsome showing!.Glad to hear that the car worked fairly well(except minor exception).It sounds like you got alot of use and practice in previous to the race which might have contributed to the cups coming loose.
They(UPS)tried to deliver my H8 late Friday afternoon but I work swing so I couldn`t get my hands on it(DARNIT).Well I guess I will just go pick it up Monday Morning instead of them trying to deliver it again.Again good showing for you and us with your H8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #351
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

the hingepins basicly have plastic sleeves which slide over them. The plastic sleeves get sloppy instead of the arms, so after 3 gallons of running you can replace these sleeves instead of the entire arm.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #352
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wyldthing.... how do you like your S5? I ordered an S7 yesterday... hopefully it will be delivered and broken in by the time we race our club race Friday night.
LSUsportsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #353
Tech Regular

wyldthing sounds like you had a good weekend despite bad luck. outdrive cups come loose every now and then but its wierd for one to come loose right after you tightened it.

about the track was anyone else complaining about a loose car or were you the only one having that problem. i ran m2 crimefighters on a bluegroove in oregon but the fronts went bald around the 15 min. mark.

what other web sites have you gotten some advice from you should post that here so everyone else can get some additional help setting up there cars.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #354

motomanpat; Thanks!! It was a blast, and it seems like I am more impressed with the H8 with every passing race!! Sorry to hear of your misfortune with UPS...lol, but I guess that will let the excitement build a little more??

party_wagon; Sorry, I guess I had never heard it called that before. I guess I chose to look at them as tuning options rather than "slop kits". Regardless, no, I haven't had any issues with those wearing any faster than they should I guess....

LSUsportsfreak; I love it!!!! I have to admit, though, that it is my first RB engine. However, it WON'T be my last!!!...lol. It runs strong, idles great, and just never misses a beat. It also gets great fuel mileage too. I can get right around 11 minutes of racing out of a "legal" tank of fuel, running at about 240 degrees. The S5 is a high RPM engine, so the stock H8 pipe seems to compliment it well, since it's considered a low-end pipe.
I think the S5 played a part in my success yesterday with the fuel mileage, and with the track being slick(as they usually are at big races), it helped keep my driving more smooth without that sometimes violent hit coming out of the corners. I did have the bottom end a little more lean than I wanted though, so it was a little more "touchy" on the low end...I think You'll love the RB engine!!!

Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 07-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #355
Tech Elite

Holy cow am I gonna have to buy new tires every 15 min. of run time if so I better get another job to support my habit.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #356
Tech Regular

motomanpat 1/8 scale tires will last you 2 months of racing every week generally on a wet track. (pro-line tires work the best but have the shortest life span, panthers will last a little longer. but if you want a long lasting tire and your track is loamy advantage blockpass tires will last an extremely long time.) now when you start talking blue groove don't expect your tires to last long at all. the crimefighters i burned up i ran a couple of practice rounds in vegas, 4 qualifiers and a 30min. main in vegas rcp round 1 west, i ran the same tires for 4 qualifiers in oregon on a blue groove and keeped them on for the main. (much better life than 1/10 scale tires). chad bradley ran knuckles in oregon and they held up extremely well after his 45 min. main. he told me they weren't as good as the cf's but they stayed consistant.

life span does have to do with tread pattern as well, if i ran knuckles or sim. my tires would still be good for another race.

on the hyper 8 i have found the car likes a loose tire so i trim the outside and sometimes the inside lug off all of my tires.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #357

Rocket;

Ya, it was a great weekend!! Better to have them come loose in the heats rather than in the main, so I was fortunate in that respect! And, it was my fault for not checking them for a while. I knew they had been red locktited, and they hadn't ever caused a problem in the past, so I overlooked them during the rebuild this last week (my own fault!).

Everyone was fighting with the slick track. Some were dealing with loose, some with tight (MBX-5 guy, go figure...lol.), but everyone was struggling to get a good handle on the track. Lots of set-up/tire changing going on all day.
The guys that beat me were just better drivers, that's all. The H8 had the speed on the lap times, it just didn't have the driver that could run them as consistently as the other guys. My best lap times were right up there with the best, but those guys are just to good!

I have done a lot of reading on the OFNA website too. Not just the H8 thread, but all the 1/8th scale threads. It seems like I can learn a lot no matter what brand it is. It still helps me learn what to change/try to accomplish whatever I need to with my buggy.
I go by J.C. r/c on there, but I have never posted yet...

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 07-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #358
Tech Regular

well wyldthing keep at it and your time will come its hard to hold that concentration level for a long time but keep at it and it will come. you will get faster and more consistant the more you drive the car and get used to your setup.

that track sure sounds like a beast, having to adjust cars and tires all the time not just you but seems like everyone else as well.

i also post on the ofna website my screen name there is russjones42
Old 07-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #359
Tech Elite

I just checked out those badlands tires they totally look like a Dunlop dirtbike tire.I figured that the tires would last longer than that! I still need to purchase a set of track tires,temp gun,heat gun but I am close so all is good.I will probably go with XTR CFs if they are ever in stock anywhere.I have a question for you guys,do I need to have one of the setup systems or am I going to be ok without.I mean are you guys making adjustments bye eye or what are your methods?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #360

Rocket;

Thanks, I'm hoping so. The great thing is....I don't have to win to have a blast racing R/C!!!!....lol. After a life of motocross, playing video games, and just about every sport under the sun, r/c is something that has come somewhat naturally to me, so that has been cool. I just have to make sure that I keep it fun. I used to ruin everything by taking it TOO seriously!...lol.

I seen you mention about the OFNA website a few pages back, so that's what got me going there....

Ya, the track had all new dirt on the corners, and even the owner wasn't sure what it would do. It was different than anything else I have ever raced on before, that's for sure!!! Being in the southwest, you probably see it all the time I imagine....

==TEAM NOVELTY==