R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #301
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
Here ya go... I have yet to try this myself...Im gonna rebuild the buggy during the week so maybe Ill try it now.
Thanks for the pic NitroOB4, not forgetting Rocket42 for his tip.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:12 AM   #302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Alright guys in the morning I am going to order my kit,H8 here I come!
List of stuff
1.Hyper 8 Pro kit
1.5 O.S. Vspec(Sorry had to add it inn as my car would be really slow without a motor)
2.Ofna starter box and two 7.2 packs
3.Deans connectors(as I like them)
4.Not sure about servos exactly so any help would be appreciated(94360z & 94359z maybe
5.Don`t really know what radio to buy I just know I need my right index on the gas and left hand on the steering(Ideas would help with this and I am partial to Airtronics)
6.On road tires for the crappy stock rims"(Question)do all 1/8 rims fit the Hyper 8.
7.Shoot almost forgot about the 5 cell receiver pack(Maybe ideas would be good)
8.Am I forgetting anything except(Diff and shock fluid recomendations would be so cool)
9.Anything else you can think of before I send this order in would be greatly appreciated(Extra parts,nessesary parts, beer,oh did I say that out loud)
10.Thanks guys for swaying me the right direction
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:25 AM   #303
Tech Elite

I just know I am going to forget something!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:40 AM   #304
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomanpat
List of stuff
1.Hyper 8 Pro kit
1.5 O.S. Vspec(Sorry had to add it inn as my car would be really slow without a motor)
4.Not sure about servos exactly so any help would be appreciated(94360z & 94359z maybe
5.Don`t really know what radio to buy I just know I need my right index on the gas and left hand on the steering(Ideas would help with this and I am partial to Airtronics)
6.On road tires for the crappy stock rims"(Question)do all 1/8 rims fit the Hyper 8.
8.Am I forgetting anything except(Diff and shock fluid recomendations would be so cool)
9.Anything else you can think of before I send this order in would be greatly appreciated(Extra parts,nessesary parts, beer,oh did I say that out loud)
4. Those servos should be good to go I'm using the 94358 for steering and it works great.

5. M11? You can get a transmitter only for around 250, throw in a Spektrum Pro system for another 180 and you'll have a pretty sweet setup. Especially if you want it reversed. (I've got both and am quite happy with it)

7. Hump pack right?

8. Oils - I'd look at the setups posted earlier in this thread and use those for an idea.

Softer clutch springs maybe?

Find out what the tire of choice at your local track is and get hooked up with some good rubber?

Fuel?

Make sure you have a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen up that vspec and you should be pretty much ready to go.
nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:51 AM   #305
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Blue Thread lock is a good thing to have...tire glue, I prefer the Losi product,
a charger for your Rx and starter batteries, depending on where you race you might consider a folding table and chair, 100Ft elec cord, possibly even a pop up for shade, Associated Green Slime ( great stuff to have for shock and diff o-rings), a box of some sort to carry it all in (Ill post a pic of the box I use, got from Home Depot), a few extra glow plugs, a good quality hex set, RPM camber gauge, and it goes on and on and on......
As for servos, Air has several great offerings. I was using the 94358 Steering and 94162 Throttle at one time. I just recently tried Ace servos. You can check em out at www.amainhobbies.com . Awesome servos and a little less expensive than more popular brands.
Diffs - get a selection of 7k, 5k,3k,2k,and 1k. These will be the most popular. I am currently using 3 in the front and center and 1 in the rear. From everything I have read and those that I have talked to in person, I don't think anyone uses 7 in any of their diffs...but it might be nice to have.
Shocks- A decent selection to start would be several in between 50 wt and 30 wt.Different manufacturers have different ratings...ie, AE makes mostly even wts..20-30-40-etc...Losi has those as well as 25-35-45 etc, Trinity has all of those as well as (if Im not mistaken, if I am then it is Losi who does this) what they call "half weights", ie 32.5 and so on.Im currently running 40 front and 30 in the rear.
As for the tires...yes, you'll want a track specific set up. In most cases, Panther Komodo Dragon IIs are an excellent choice.Proline Crime Fighters are very popular as well. Go to the track you plan to race and ask the drivers. Make some friends and ask anything and everything. More than likely you will find some folks that will gladly help you there. Now, getting a set of on roads is a decent idea...I have a set for break in as well. But, since the H8 already comes with wheels/tires/ and I believe it also comes with foam inserts, you may as well use those tires rather than spending the extra $80 or so for an onroad specific set. The kit tires really arent well suited to the track.
I could go on and on...but Im super tired right now, just got home from work. I'll add more later as will others Im sure. Good Luck

I can't seem to find the box Im using for my carry-all. It is a Stanley item, sold by Home Depot.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:13 AM   #306
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomanpat
List of stuff
1.Hyper 8 Pro kit
4. Use KO Propo 2365ICS for throttle 2366ICS servo for steering

5. Use Ko Propo Helios ex-10

6. Go to offroad track and use GRP offroad tires

7. Reedy receiver pack

Powered by O.S Speed - Futaba
BIOMASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #307
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Here is the set up i found to work great for my track.

www.actionrc.com

See what you think

Times
12 laps at 7:22 T-bone
12 laps at 7:23 t-bone
12 laps at 7:23 JT
12 laps at 7:26 Burgerman Jerald
12 laps at 7:36 Phil
12 laps at 7:37 Dibs

Dibble
Hyper 8 pro kit

Front:
------

Oil.............. 45 wt Losi oil
Pistons.......... 1.5 x2 pistons drilled with the #53 bit
Spring........... Kyosho hard dark blue
Ride height ..... Ride height above arms level
Shock pos........ tower,00 (0) 00 So Middle hole/ super Inside on Arms drilled hole.
Shock travel..... full?
Ackerman pos..... Middle hole
Sway bar......... Stock 2.5 (0mm preload)
Front Caster..... 22 Degree Hubs
Caster Hole...... Outer hole on hub
Upper arm pos.... Low Roll center upper Lower deg +3
Front kickup..... 8 degree?
Diff oil......... 3000wt Mugen
Camber........... -2 degrees
Toe.............. 1 degrees out per side
Tires............ ?
Foams............ ?
Wheels........... OFNA TrueLite White Dish Wheels I wish. hahah?

Center:
-------

Diff............. 3000wt
Brakes........... Stock brake disk
Spur Gear........ 46 tooth
Clutch Bell...... 13 tooth
Clutch Shoes..... New silver shoes
Clutch Springs... gold .9mm
Engine........... V-spec motor
Cooling Head..... V-spec
Tuned pipe....... 2060 pipe
Fuel............. byrons fuel
Glow plug........ p3 plug
Radio............ helios
Steering Servo... new digi servos from kopro 66
Throttle Servo... new digi servos from kopro 65

Rear:
-----

Oil.............. 35 wt losi oil
Pistons.......... 1.5x2 pistons drilled with the #53 bit
Spring........... kyosho old Blue
Ride height ..... Level
Shock pos........ outside on arm, on tower//in 0 (0) 000 tower\\

Rear hub......... Hyper 7 hubs, middle wheel base. My stock hubs was gone after 3 races.

Camber link...... very very bottom inside hole

Camber........... -2
Antisquat........ 2 degrees
Toe in........... 2.5 degrees
Diff oil......... 3000wt
Shock travel..... full
Sway bar......... Stock 2.8mm (5 or 7 I think mm preload)
Wing position.... Lower position Top Hole.
Tires............ ?
Foams............ ?
Wheels........... ?

i don't drive super hard into the turns. i let the buggy roll around the turns to keep a tight line going in and then gun it coming out... just a style i learn driving my SP2 buggy. if you try to drive a SP2 like you did your old K3 you would get bit fast.

i like a little push going into the turns that way i will have more control of the buggy.

lmk what you think of the set up.

i sent it to paul C and he said if it works leave it. lol

also if you want more steering going in. he said take off the front swaybar.

he said that the team has take it off all together.

i tried it and it was cool but, i think a 1 mm or 2mm front swaybar best.

all u have to do is call a piano shop and make your own.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #308
Tech Elite

Hey Guys,

I have most of the standard stuff like table,power cord,tire glue,charger as I have had a RC10GT for a many a years.I do need another radio/servos and some tools as I am sure that I don`t have the sizes I need for an 1/8 scale.What kind of hex set is good and is the H8 need metric or standard?I really don`t belive that I need to get the best top of the line radio like say the M11,like I said though I am into the airtronics stuff just need one that will allow me to steer with my left hand
Old 07-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #309
Tech Elite

Come on ROCKET where are ya when I need ya.HEHEHEH
Old 07-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #310
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Im not sure if the M11 does allow one to switch steering controls. I use the Nomadio Sensor, which does, but it's probably not what you're after. Great radio though if you do decide to look into it. Air does have the MX3 which is a great budget radio, but again, this Im quite sure, as I've had one before, does not allow one to change. I do believe the K.O high end radioes do.I think the best thing you could do would be to look into each companies website and see if you can find info there, or check out www.towerhobbies.com as they carry Futaba, Air, Nomadio, and Hitec or check www.horizonhobby.com . I know they carry JR and they might also carry K.O. Sorry I can't offer any dead specific info on changing hands other than the Nomadio.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #311
Tech Regular

hey motomanpat here you go first lets try and keep it on the cheap side for you. first for servos i like airtronics as well you will need the high torque 200 oz.in. .10 transit for steering buy whichever one is in your budget with or without heatsink case and the high speed 125 oz. in. .07 transit for throttle and brake. i run the non heatsink case because thats all they had when i bought them. i would run the setup i posted because i ran at a-main raceway and it worked with minor mods. for a blue groove. you will want a #54 or 1.4mm drill bit for the shocks and a 2.9 to 3mm drill bit to make the rear shock tower mod. you may also want to purchase a 4mm drill and tap set. optional. never run the car at full travel this car has way too much down travel. extra parts you may want to purchase will be center alumn. dog bones, extra screws for front hub carrier, red and blue thread lock, you will need at least 4 extra 4x25mm button head screws for mods. shock rebuild kit, shock bladders, shock dust cover (or balloons). you may also want to purchase some misc. screws for lost or dropped screws. i would check ebay for any large purchase (over $15) cause you will find some unbelivible prices on hyper 8 gear.

as far as radios go i only believe the high end airtronics are reversable for lefties. so get the m11 you will not be sorry and it will last you for years for all your cars. but if your trying to stay cheap you might be able to find a killer deal on a used m8 and that radio is the previous model and it is reversable for lefties cause i have one.

you will want to get the o.s. 2060 pipe for your engine.

i would also stock up on things like clutch bearings. clutch springs i like the 1.0 mugen springs and i think mugen makes the best clucth springs. i also run there carbon shoes but i would use up the kit stuff first.

don't bother buying street tires use your kit tires. and don't buy the ofna tru lite rims i have seen them crack time after time first run on them. i personally run advantage rims because they are half the cost of proline rims and i like the spokes. go to watch the races at the track you plan on running at and see what everyone runs for tires, panther has just come out with a new tire and i think that will be the ticket.

i'am not sponsored by anybody and i will not promote any product just because i'am sponsored i only promote products i believe in and have proven to work.

shock oil buy 27.5,30,32.5 for rear for front buy 37.5,40,42.5, but mainly 30wt. and 40wt. to get you going
diff oil buy 3k, 2k, and 1k leave the front and center diff and re lube the rear at 1k start with this and then try 2k later

deans plugs are a waste of $12 your starter box will not need them at all.
reciever pack just buy a 1400 hump pack or i think nitrohouse has a 1600 hump pack now made by ofna. i have no brand loyalty when it comes to this and the cheapest one will work as good as the most expensive as long as its the same mah.

boil your kit wing it will last a long long time after doing that.

if you don't like the body pick up a crowd pleazer for the hyper 8.

all 1/8 rims should fit. i think that will be enough to get you going when you get the car pm me and i can tell you where to make the mods. you may also want to order part no. 88034 rear support mount or sonthing like that. and i can tell you how to beef up the rear end. <mod does not have to be done right away.

if i forgot anything else just let me know and if i remember something else i will add to this post.

Last edited by Rocket42; 07-11-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #312
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Msand Send a message via MSN to Msand Send a message via Yahoo to Msand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket42
first for servos i like airtronics as well you will need the high torque 200 oz.in. .07 transit for steering
The 94358 and 359 are both 200oz @ .10 not .07

Not being a jerk just helping out.
Msand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #313
Tech Regular

my bad thats what i meant to say msand thanks for clearing that up.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #314
Tech Elite

Dood you are the coolest!.I am just sitting here stewing over all the decisions I think it may be all to much to handle at once.I have decided to buy the H8 for sure and the ofna starter box so I am good with those decisions I just have not pushed the button yet.I wanted to thank you for all the help so far!I do need a tool kit like hex and all the stuff for 1/8 but just not sure of sizes needed.I have RPMs but they trully suck and would like to have something better.Size does matter
Old 07-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #315
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

GET ALL YOUR TOOLS HERE.

WWW.micro-tools.com

drill bits
http://www.micro-tools.com/store/ite...emCode=82615MD

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2...t_Code=82616MD

Sizes: 1.05, 1.1, 1.15, 1.2, 1.25, 1.3, 1.35, 1.4, 1.45, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0mm

Drivers
http://www.micro-tools.com/store/Sea...ategoryCode=12

i get all my tools here super cheap and if you loose one it only cost you $2 and not $15 for that hudy .