R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #286
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Rocket...I understand what you're saying on my set up issues. I made the mistake of not mentioning the rear camber link mod wasn't done. As far as the caster change I made, I went on the advice of a local hot shoe and it did seem to work. Ill take the week to work on the buggy and set it back to the 20* caster, lower front camber, make the rear camber link mod , and try the rear ackerman hole. I will test it all Saturday if I have the time, before I race on Sunday. And will test them all one at a time, lol. All in all, Im very happy with the base set up you posted. And I know there will be some changes here and there depending on where I run and conditions, etc. I do know, full well, what set up I am running...and this is the main reason for my praise on the one you posted. Before setting my car up close to that, I had no idea really as I had been running it as it was built, from the box, save for changing diff fluid to 3-3-1. And for what it's worth, I highly recommend all readers to consider the set up he posted a few pages back. It likely won't be perfect, but it is a great baseline with which to work.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Smile

diff set is key to the buggy Words from Mr. Hara.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #288
Tech Regular

well i wouldn't bother changing the caster block back if the 22 worked better for you. you tried both and the 22 worked better. i'am just saying that you would have had more steering with the 20 block if you had the rear camber link mod done. so first just make the rear camber link mod then try. and then make the ackerman change and then try. and if those changes give you too much steering then go back to the 20 degree block, but if you still don't have enough change the front camber link.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #289
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Rocket42,MOTORMAN and the rest of you cool people.Thank you for the insight and I belive that I have made the decision to go with the H8.Yes I did go out to watch the big race and I thought it was so cool.I could only managed to hang out till about 2PM as it was blistering hot out there.So where are you from then Rocket are you local or Cali?S)(IT I think I will order some stuff today before I head to work maybe the kit and starter box/batteries or maybe I should stew over it some more.I think it is cool to have a different car than most of the others.I am sure that you could see almost everyone local around here has either a MP777 or a Mugen!!!!!!
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #290
Tech Elite

Oh first real question,do you guys use ofna starter box w/2 7.2 packs or do you go for the 12V gel.Also do the 12V fit inside the Ofna starter box or is it an external thing?I think I may have to wait till Tuesday to order so I can compile a list of needs(Damn work always gets in the way)
Old 07-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #291
Tech Regular

motormanpat i live in arizona and it was a long drive for me but my wifes family live in newport and my father in law used to race in the 80's how cool is that. so he pitted for me we where in the motorhome to the right of the track so we had some a/c which was nice.

for the starter box i use ofna's lightweight compact box with 2 7.2 packs and it works great but it will not work to turn over a new engine. it comes with alligator clips and if you are breaking in a engine you will want to attach it to a car battery.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #292
Tech Elite

Wow I would think that the 2 packs would be ok to turn a new engine.I am going to buy a OS VSPEC even though everybody thinks they have issues.I love my OS .12CV it has always been a good motor.It is really weird I closeted my GT for 5 years and recently broke it out again.The last time I ran it before it went into hiding it ran like 280 or 290 which I know is really hot but it screamed and ran great with blue thunder fuel.So I went to the hobby shop to get some more fuel but they did not have the blue thunder in stock so I was forced to buy Sidewinder.Now the thing runs like 180 or 190 and still screams can`t figure that one out! It must have been a really long drive for you but at least you are use to the heat living in Arizona and all.I lived in Phoenix for a year when I went to MMI,lived over by 40th st and Bell.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #293
Tech Elite

Hey were you the only lonely motorhome right next to the track behind the grandstands?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #294

Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)

Like I said, motomanpat, the only issues I have had with mine, was getting the push out of it, and the center diff retaining ring breaking and letting the spur gear come loose. I fixed that problem by ordering a steel one from the hyper7. Haven't had any problems with the tanks (I use shock o-rings on the top and bottom of it just for added safety), or any of the other horror stories that you hear.
I guess to sum it up....if I was to buy all over again, and I had plenty of money to buy any buggy I wanted, I would STILL by the Hyper8! What better testimony can you hear than that???
I too use the OFNA lightweight/compact starter box with 2 1500mah battery packs. It works great!! I was actually quite surprised at how well it worked, to be honest!...lol. It spins my RB over like a top, and it still sticks at TDC.

Congrats on your decision, I truly believe you will be very happy with the H8! Besides, like you said, it's nice to have something different than everyone else: makes it more fun that way...

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #295
Tech Regular

yep that was me. got there late fri after practice had ended and that seemed like the best spot
Old 07-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my friend has driven a Hyper8 now
for 1-2 gallons......
there is practically 10 mm play on all suspension parts
front and rear
yeakes....
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #297

Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2
my friend has driven a Hyper8 now
for 1-2 gallons......
there is practically 10 mm play on all suspension parts
front and rear
yeakes....
Sorry to hear about your friends luck....I have between 1-2 gallons through my H8, and don't have anywhere near that much play anywhere on the buggy...Might depend on how it's driven too, maybe....?

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #298
Tech Regular

for us americans 10mm = almost 1/2"
i seriously doubt that your buddy has had that much play in all suspension parts i think you are just trying to bash the hyper 8. if you have a legitimate complaint about the car tell us about it in a truthful way not outlandish lies. i have 2 gallons on my hyper 8 and it doesn't have any more play than my jammin buggy. did at the same time and less play in the universals.

1 or 2 gallons which is it that is a huge difference in run time if you want to bash the car your method shows no signs of validity
Old 07-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #299
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I assure you it's true
all suspension parts seem to wiggle like an unlocked
gardendoor catched in heavy wind
I never seen that
even on the knuckles, everywhere

wonder if he is been doing anything the wrong way
I will inquiere more next we...
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #300
Tech Elite

If I woulda only known it was you I could have had a little more shade for a few more hours.Yes is this guy just talkin trash or are these type of issues true.I tell ya though I know it won`t have the kind of play that my 9 year old RC10GT has HAHAHA