Wiki Posts
Search

New kit help and advice (n00b)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Default New kit help and advice (n00b)

Hi everyone!
Need some help with purchasing my first kit..
[history - unnecessary to read ]

my first RC was a RTR HPI RS4 evo3 (1/10 onroad) and my second was a GV XT2 RTR (1/8 off road) since I bought the off road I had gone away from the hobby and now I have recently rejoined and want to get something new and more capable, I was tossing up between a 1/8 truggy or a hpi baja but i think I will go with the truggy for now and I might get a baja further down the road.

I have pretty much made a decision on the Losi 8ight-T 3.0, I know it's pricey for a non serious racer but I'd want something that was capable if I did end up on the track.
I was originally looking at the HB D8T for both the price and good reviews but there's something about the body that turns me off(the front end)..even the aftermarket ones don't add much to the aesthetics of this truggy, which is a shame..

I have an Airtronics MT-4S radio and have been looking at Savox servos (still haven't made a definitive decision on which though) 1258TG,1256TG,1231SG etc...1233SG looks the business, but being a tall servo would it be suitable for the 8T?

I haven't even started on the engine.

So i guess I'm looking for a little guidance, opinions, options, tips etc.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..seems all so overwhelming especially when you're someone who tends to read too much into everything..

Also, is there anything I need when building kits that wont come with it? like any tools(apart from the obvious hex drivers), greases, oils etc?

Thanks a lot

p.s my apologies if i posted in the wrong place.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:31 AM
Tech Champion

The Losi 8ight T3.0 is an awesome place to start..

Servos - Savox 1258 on gas/brakes, 1256 for steering(or, just two 1256's..) Get the appropriate alu steering horn for the steering servo(assuming on isn't in the kit..) These are the cheap, older ones. I don't know the other models. But the 1256 is solid for the money..

Werks B2 engine and track down a used 2013 or 2058 pipe. Get two extra plugs.. (Werks #6) There are MANY MANY MANY engines to choose from. I just mentioned the Werks B2 because it's cheap (but good value for money..) An RB Blast, Novarossi P5XLT, Alpha A852 etc are all good too.

Get a 1900 nimh hump pack(unless the Losi takes a stick pack.. I don't know on that one..) Other people will tell you to get lipo, so do that if you prefer..

Ofna blue starter box with two nimh stick packs.

Besides that , the normal nitro starter kit stuff - glow ignitor with charger, etc.. And maybe some after run oil, and a few decent hex drivers (is Lois still imperial?.. For most cars you mostly need 2mm and 2.5mm)..

Two other things that cost a bit but ultimately make everything a lot easier, I'd also recommend 1.) the Mugen (or Protek or whoever else rebrands them..) pit-bag, for carrying all your stuff around, and 2.) a mini cordless drill like the Bosch Ixo (google) with the necessary hex bits for wrenching on your stuff - especially the build. The latter especially is a godsend.. (and you can use it around the house too - so not a total waste of money...)
Old 08-17-2014, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Herrsavage pretty much nailed it. To piggy back on what he said....

Yes Losi is still SAE hardware.
It does use hump packs but if you are running HV servo's, get a LiPo RX pack.
Engine choice will be dependent on your budget and knowledge of nitro motors. If you are new, the B2 would be perfect. If you are experienced, then you will want to get the best one to afford. No sense of spending $400 on a motor if you are not savvy on tuning and going to possibly blow it up in the first gallon or so. ( we have all done it, rookie and pro so don't let that discourage you).

The 8T 3.0 is an awesome kit. If you are not to familure with Losi, you will enjoy the build. Just take your time and follow the manual. Take a look at Casey Peck's build up with pics thread on here somewhere. Yes its for a buggy, but everything he does also applies to the truck as they are exactly the same as far as building goes.

Have fun and welcome back to the addiction.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Tech Initiate

sweet, thanks for the replies..

would the losi kits sold in Australia still be imperial? I was hoping for metric just bought some shiny new EDS hex drivers..

Just missed the savox sale at amain..burning!

any specialty type tools i would need? whether for the build itself or somewhere along the line?
Do kits include stuff like grease, shock & diff oil etc..?

thanks again
Old 08-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jedi.mind.trick
sweet, thanks for the replies..

would the losi kits sold in Australia still be imperial? I was hoping for metric just bought some shiny new EDS hex drivers..

Just missed the savox sale at amain..burning!

any specialty type tools i would need? whether for the build itself or somewhere along the line?
Do kits include stuff like grease, shock & diff oil etc..?

thanks again
Try bruckner hobbies. They were doing 20% off savox.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Initiate

hang on..now i'm confused..lol
what's the difference between SA & SC? eg SA-1256TG & SC-1256TG
seem to have same specs, but the SA is $1 more..??
Old 08-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

hang on..now i'm confused..lol
what's the difference between SA & SC? eg SA-1256TG & SC-1256TG
seem to have same specs, but the SA is $1 more..??
I believe, and don't hold a gun to me, that the SA were designed to be used in aircraft and heli's and the SC's are for surface vehicles. Just like the Spektrum A (aircraft), M (marine), and S (surface) on their servos. Not a real difference in the specs but some have different frame rates, dead bands and frequency windows.

And yes, if you buy a Losi anywhere, it will come with SAE (imperial) hardware.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jerm13
I believe, and don't hold a gun to me, that the SA were designed to be used in aircraft and heli's and the SC's are for surface vehicles. Just like the Spektrum A (aircraft), M (marine), and S (surface) on their servos. Not a real difference in the specs but some have different frame rates, dead bands and frequency windows.
makes sense, cheers..

-what you guys think of the Werks B5? it's only $30 more than the B2 (i know where do you stop)

-between the 2 pipes, (2058 & 2013) what's the pros and cons of each?

~is there any other options besides these 2? how are those aftermarket type pipes, like the 'extreme RC mods' pipes?

-Would there be any benefits to going with a bigger block engine? .25 or .28 etc..i would of thought truggies would need the bigger ones due to weight and size etc..

Sorry for the stack of questions, i do appreciate the help.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Tech Champion

Never had a B5 but would buy one in a heartbeat(not really available here..). Ideal truggy engine. I only mentioned the B2 cuz it's cheap.. 2013 is for tons of torque. 2058 more of an all-rounder..
Old 08-18-2014, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

The 1256tg & 1258tg work well in buggy, brother has 2x 1256tg & we both run the
MT-4 radio & a LiFe 6.6v rx pack, the standard Savox servo's seem to handle the extra .6v fine & are a little faster as well.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

makes sense, cheers..

-what you guys think of the Werks B5? it's only $30 more than the B2 (i know where do you stop)

~is there any other options besides these 2? how are those aftermarket type pipes, like the 'extreme RC mods' pipes?

-Would there be any benefits to going with a bigger block engine? .25 or .28 etc..i would of thought truggies would need the bigger ones due to weight and size etc..

The Werks B5 will be better for a truggy, more designed to suit them.
The Werks pipe are pretty good, the 2013 gives more low down power & the 2058 gives more mid to top, still good low down & probably suited to the B5 because this engine has more low down torque. The 2058 is also good for fuel economy.
Don't worry about the other pipes or big blocks, the B5 & 2058/2013 will do a good job. (I don't have them but was looking into them a while back)
Do you know where to purchase them over here. (Australia).
Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

makes sense, cheers..

If you dont mind splurdging a little more, get the B5 Pro. Drilled and filled crank and ceramic rear bearing make it spool up just a little quicker. But the B5 is my go to engine for truck.

Pipes. I have all 3 Werks. 2013 for low end, 2057 for all around power and good run time. 2058 for top end. But all 3 work extreamly well on the B5. My go to is the 2057 with extender on. If the track ois tight, 2013. Really long, I will try the 2057 without extender and the 2058 to find the better of the 2.

Havent run any other pipes on the Werks motors so I cant say.
And dont worry about getting a .23, .25, or .28. The increase in power ( for racing anyway) does not justify the fuel consumtion/ lack of run time for me. Bench racing is a different story. A good .21 will be better if you plan on racing.

Last edited by Jerm13; 08-18-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

The Alpha/Argus .23 is awesome though...
Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
The Alpha/Argus .23 is awesome though...
If we are going that route, the Clocked OS .25! But yes, the Alpha .23 is a great motor. Reminded me a lot of the Trinity Ex-Tech .24 which was a modded Sirio. I Went thru 2 of these and they were a dream. Too bad Trinity and whatever their "issues" were, killed that deal.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

everything is good excepted the servos, to me savox is the perfect example of an overrated brand

let's put it this way: they're good when they work but their endurance is poor.. never managed to make a savox servo last more than a year and a half.. it just never happened, and I tested MANY

as a side note we race in all weather conditions including 12 hours races so we put more stress to them than many would but trust me savox is "cheap" for a reason.. there are no good servos for that price IMO you need to put more $$$ to get something that will last.. the closest that is really good is ace and hitec.. if you have more money sanwa, futaba (especially the brushless ones) or even kopropo will last forever

savox are all about the specs: speed and torque but they aren't efficient at all they are noisy, less precise and much more power hungry than the other brands I mentioned

too many people go crazy about speed and torque but what REALLY matters is the precision and this is not given with numbers, compare a 1258tg to any futaba brushless available and you'll see what I mean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.