R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #31
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to ozziii

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
LiFe packs just dont bring any advantage to RC. Go LiPo, you will be happier in the end.
Lol, so the extra speed I get from a 6.6v LiFe while using standard servo's is no advantage to RC, I think it is for people running standard servo's & the batteries are safer than LiPo. Yes if you have the $$ to spend on more expensive servo's then yeah go for it, but not everybody can do that or not everybody wants to run a LiPo either.
I use the Savox 1256tg for steering & you can easily see the speed difference between 6v & 6.6v.
SWEEP tyres, Savox servo's.
ozziii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:04 AM   #32
Tech Initiate

well everything is ordered and on it's way allready, i guess ill find out if i made some good decisions or not..
Thanks to everyone who posted.
this is what I went with:
Losi 8ight-T3.0
CRE Novarossi P5XLT with 9886/41021 pipe/man - nova med. C6TGC plugs
Steering servo: Savox SB-2274SG (.08/347.2oz @ 7.4v)
Throttle Servo: Savox SB-2271SG (.06/277.0oz @ 7.4v)
Protec 2S RX Lipo

Don't ask WHY i wen't with a particular component..because I'm not sure lol
Hope it turns out alright..
jedi.mind.trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #33
Tech Initiate

question..with the rx antenna, the antenna stays straight within the antenna pipe (or whatever it's called) right? and the pipe is cut to size to be a bit longer than the cable...
because the antenna has that extra tip that cannot be cut or bent etc. so the whole cable stays inside the pipe and then the cap on the end, is this correct?

because on my old rtr buggy and car, they have the non 2.4ghz radio systems and the antenna comes out through the end of the pipe and the cap goes over the top, so there is 1 or 2 inches of the antenna exposed out of the antenna pipe..this is not needed with 2.4gig systems right? the whole antenna cable stays straight inside the pipe yeah?

sorry if it doesn't make sense or if i keep repeating myself..

also, is there any benefit to having a LiPo/LiFe in the transmitter? i have Eneloops in now, would a 2S LiPo or LiFe battery be better or worse? like give me extra capacity or something?

thanks
jedi.mind.trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:19 AM   #34
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post
The B5 Pro is great. A tuned ear will be able to pic up the subbtle differences between it and the standard B5. But.... with CRE running a special on their NV P5XLT, I would not hesitate to pick that thing up. It is a beast and equal to, if not better than the B5 Pro. I am in the market for a new motor and might just get it myself.

If you are thinking of either these 2 motors, get ahold of SavageSam ( a local Aussie) or Maximo ( Neal from CRE) on here. They can help you out a lot a may help you decide on something.

a stock B5 Pro makes 1.6 HP..my modified P5 makes well over 2 HP....B5 Pro is pretty stout when stock, in a Buggy vs the mod P5 it holds its own, but in truggy the boosted P5 will smoke its ass, especially f there is traction under it....

I
Old 09-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #35
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.mind.trick View Post
question..with the rx antenna, the antenna stays straight within the antenna pipe (or whatever it's called) right? and the pipe is cut to size to be a bit longer than the cable...
because the antenna has that extra tip that cannot be cut or bent etc. so the whole cable stays inside the pipe and then the cap on the end, is this correct?

because on my old rtr buggy and car, they have the non 2.4ghz radio systems and the antenna comes out through the end of the pipe and the cap goes over the top, so there is 1 or 2 inches of the antenna exposed out of the antenna pipe..this is not needed with 2.4gig systems right? the whole antenna cable stays straight inside the pipe yeah?

sorry if it doesn't make sense or if i keep repeating myself..

also, is there any benefit to having a LiPo/LiFe in the transmitter? i have Eneloops in now, would a 2S LiPo or LiFe battery be better or worse? like give me extra capacity or something?

thanks
MO Truggies love power and having a strong bottom end end can make them easier to drive for a novice, as it allows them to slow down for features and still have enough power to clear the obstacle..... Buggy is a different story ..

Also look at the Tekno Truggy...its quite badass and a very nice build that uses metric hardware....
Old 09-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziii View Post
Lol, so the extra speed I get from a 6.6v LiFe while using standard servo's is no advantage to RC, I think it is for people running standard servo's & the batteries are safer than LiPo. Yes if you have the $$ to spend on more expensive servo's then yeah go for it, but not everybody can do that or not everybody wants to run a LiPo either.
I use the Savox 1256tg for steering & you can easily see the speed difference between 6v & 6.6v.
No, the difference between 6v and 6.6v that the LiFe pack is providing to your servos would be undetectable by you.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Have to agree from personal experience formally running 6.6 Life on a 6v rated servo, didn't have any noticeable difference to write home about.

HV servo on a Lipo however....

You'll wonder why you didn't go Lipo to start with. Today's modern Lipo spec chargers make Lipo maintenance a breeze - there really isn't anything to be scared about Lipo's nowadays
wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #38
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to ozziii

We checked the difference a while back & could notice some extra speed with the LiFe, not a huge amount but it was there, its a cheaper way to have slightly faster servo's without the cost. May not be as fast as some HV servo's but its still slightly faster than 6v & LiFe packs are safer & cheaper.
SWEEP tyres, Savox servo's.
ozziii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #39
Tech Elite

The measurable difference would be exceptionally small, so much so that I'd argue only a super human would distinguish the difference. All things being equal, with nothing but a battery swap, 99.9% of the population wouldnt detect anything. Not saying you cant or didnt, just that the measurable delta is minuscule.

Regardless, the above setup should provide a reliable platform to build upon. If when the Savox fail, check out the Hitecs. The 7955 is tough to beat, is cheaper, more reliable, and backed buy the best customer support in the industry. If funds permit down the road, step up to the 7950/40s or the new brushless series (priced exceptionally well for what you get).
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:30 AM   #40
Tech Champion

I have about six 8th scale RC's, pretty much all with Hitec 5955's or Savox 1256's and 1258's(and OK two LST2's with stock RTR servos), all running standard nimh hump packs, which cost €13 apiece. I haven't bothered converting to lipo because 1.) it would cost a lot, but most importantly 2.) for casual running on tracks, at the park, and maybe the occasional club race, I just don't need it. There are much more important things to spend your money on IMO. Spares, tires, etc.. I wouldn't bother with high end HV servos unless you're super serious into serious racing and have the sizeable budget to fund it.

And yeah, the Hitec 7955 is an absolute top servo. Highly recommended..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, kit, nitro, truggy