R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #16
Tech Initiate

can't thank you guys enough for the help.

Alright, so i'll lock in the savox servos, 1258 & 1256..so that's done
This doesn't seem too important, but which of these 3 servo horns would best suit the 8ight-T? does it matter? because they are different lengths..
http://www.amain.com/public_wish_lis...omer_id=598804

Now..to this engine

Would a B5 Pro be better still than a B6? because they are priced like B5 -> B6 -> B5 Pro
Now at this price range, would the Werks still be my best bet? How are they against say a Rossi P5XLT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziii View Post
we both run the
MT-4 radio & a LiFe 6.6v rx pack, the standard Savox servo's seem to handle the extra .6v fine & are a little faster as well.
Sweet, i was wondering if they would work..i'll grab a couple..

Quote:
Do you know where to purchase them over here. (Australia).
Nah man I had a look, can't seem to find em in Aus..you know of any places?
I'm rapt I just found the 8ight-T locally for $650 as opposed to 700 everywhere else in Aus..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
everything is good excepted the servos, to me savox is the perfect example of an overrated brand

let's put it this way: they're good when they work but their endurance is poor.. never managed to make a savox servo last more than a year and a half.. it just never happened, and I tested MANY

as a side note we race in all weather conditions including 12 hours races so we put more stress to them than many would but trust me savox is "cheap" for a reason.. there are no good servos for that price IMO you need to put more $$$ to get something that will last.. the closest that is really good is ace and hitec.. if you have more money sanwa, futaba (especially the brushless ones) or even kopropo will last forever

savox are all about the specs: speed and torque but they aren't efficient at all they are noisy, less precise and much more power hungry than the other brands I mentioned

too many people go crazy about speed and torque but what REALLY matters is the precision and this is not given with numbers, compare a 1258tg to any futaba brushless available and you'll see what I mean

I don't think i'll be putting the servos through as much as you would though, not even close..i've been reading a lot of good on these servos, the only negative thing i've heard (until now) is the noise, but I don't see that as being an issue at all tbh.. i'll see how I go with these for now, then if they give out on me, even after a year, I can always upgrade, and the extra cost won't hurt as much..

Last edited by jedi.mind.trick; 08-19-2014 at 05:42 AM.
jedi.mind.trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The B5 ( pro or regular) makes its peak torque about 6-7k lower than the B6 which is why it is better suited for the truck. Dont get me wrong, the B6 is still plenty capable of moving the truck around, just the B5's torque comes on sooner in the RPM's which helps the bigger vehicle with bigger tires get going faster. Unless you are racing on an ice rink of a track. Then the B6 might be better.

If you dont mind spending the little extra, I would get the B5 Pro. The little differences between it and the standard really almost make it a completely different motor all together. I know its just the Black case, Drilled and filled crank and ceramic rear bearing but, for me, I can tell the difference between the 2. I have both versions, and the only reason I still have the standard version is for a back up. I will be really upset when my Pro dies. If it goes without hurting the crank or case, I will probably just move the internals over.

For your servo horns, The ProTeks are good. I would get the shorty one. I have been running the same Losi one since I bought it with my 1.0 truck. It costs about the same and fits perfect because it was designed to fit "that truck" as opposed to a universal piece like the ProTek and Hudy ones. Just my opinion though. I wouldnt want to put AC Delco parts in my Chevy.

Oh yeah. If you can, get a LiFe RX pack if you are not going to run HV servo's. I have been using the TrakPower 1900's for the season and love them. Hour long run times, easy to maintain and no fire/over discharge worries. Just have to slot the rear of the hump pack lid to make them fit easy. No a big deal for me.
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #18
Tech Champion

I don't see the point in buying the B5 Pro.. Lot of money for a little difference. Especially when getting started, with so much other stuff to get. The P5XLT is a great choice too.

Try to wrangle a combo offer from wherever you're buying from..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #19
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to ozziii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.mind.trick View Post
Nah man I had a look, can't seem to find em in Aus..you know of any places?
I'm rapt I just found the 8ight-T locally for $650 as opposed to 700 everywhere else in Aus..
Pro RC Supplies in QLD is the Werks importer/distributor, not sure about a website but you can contact them through Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/ProRcSupplies?ref=ts&fref=ts

LAZ Racing Developments (LRD) are also a Werks dealer & are located around Sydney, website not up & running just yet but its on its way.
Contact them through the Facebook page as well.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Laz-R...972484?fref=ts

Also, check out Matt Griffins "RC Race Supplies" near Bendigo, he has Novarossi engines, he also has the Mugen truggies, Matt is great to deal with & prices are good.
http://www.rcracesupplies.com.au/
SWEEP tyres, Savox servo's, Raceform body.
ozziii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #20
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post

For your servo horns, The ProTeks are good. I would get the shorty one. I have been running the same Losi one since I bought it with my 1.0 truck. It costs about the same and fits perfect because it was designed to fit "that truck" as opposed to a universal piece like the ProTek and Hudy ones. Just my opinion though. I wouldnt want to put AC Delco parts in my Chevy.
the only reason i was leaning towards these horns is because the're black, the champagne color on orange servos, meh i dunno..it might sound silly lmao but hey it's gotta look good too right?

how is the clocked b5 pro? i noticed on your signature..worth the extra coin?

Last edited by jedi.mind.trick; 08-20-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #21
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Pro RC Supplies in QLD is the Werks importer/distributor, not sure about a website but you can contact them through Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/ProRcSupplies?ref=ts&fref=ts

LAZ Racing Developments (LRD) are also a Werks dealer & are located around Sydney, website not up & running just yet but its on its way.
Contact them through the Facebook page as well.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Laz-R...972484?fref=ts

Also, check out Matt Griffins "RC Race Supplies" near Bendigo, he has Novarossi engines, he also has the Mugen truggies, Matt is great to deal with & prices are good.
http://www.rcracesupplies.com.au/
awesome..thanks bro
I've dealt with Rc race supplies before, their customer service is unmatched.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've got the Ofna CNC machined servo horn on my cars, and I've been very happy with them. They look great, black with the silver edges, plus they are double fixed, a screw in the top and a pinch screw in the side.
Very well priced too. There's a single and a double arm.

http://www.amain.com/OFNA-CNC-Machin...ox-ACE/p197372

AE RC8 B3 - Team Picco - Boost 3TZ - Bittydesign
Mugen MBX7T -Team Picco - Boost 5TX
schmarkoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:08 AM   #23
Tech Initiate

still haven't made a decision on this damn engine..
B5 pro ($269)
clocked B5 ($320)
P5XLT ($237)
clocked P5XLT (on sale atm - $300)
or something else in that price range

just want to make sure i'm getting the best I can for the money..I want this thing to BOOGY!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:30 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.mind.trick View Post
still haven't made a decision on this damn engine..
B5 pro ($269)
clocked B5 ($320)
P5XLT ($237)
clocked P5XLT (on sale atm - $300)
or something else in that price range

just want to make sure i'm getting the best I can for the money..I want this thing to BOOGY!
The B5 Pro is great. A tuned ear will be able to pic up the subbtle differences between it and the standard B5. But.... with CRE running a special on their NV P5XLT, I would not hesitate to pick that thing up. It is a beast and equal to, if not better than the B5 Pro. I am in the market for a new motor and might just get it myself.

If you are thinking of either these 2 motors, get ahold of SavageSam ( a local Aussie) or Maximo ( Neal from CRE) on here. They can help you out a lot a may help you decide on something.
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #25
Tech Champion

alpha lutz could be another option

cheap to replace parts, awesome torque and power
Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

i've been watching Savage Sam's videos on youtube, searching for clocked p5xlt and most of the results are his..
Old 08-24-2014, 04:14 AM   #27
Tech Initiate

does anyone know the max size receiver battery the 3.0 will take?
I ended up getting HV servo's and i'm not sure which LipO's will fit other than http://www.amain.com/ProTek-R-C-Li-P...r-Plug/p188054

or is this battery my best bet?
Old 08-26-2014, 12:20 AM   #28
Tech Initiate

think i'm gonna go for a clocked nova p5xlt with nova 9886ss/41021 pipe/man
Old 08-26-2014, 02:09 AM   #29
JsK
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

FusionX. X7 with a 9853/41005 . Very smooth and powerful combo that's easy to tune.
JsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think the B5 (non pro) would be a fantastic choice at a great price point. It is reliable, will make plenty of power, and has great run time as well. My biggest reason is for the price and your experience level. At this stage of the game, a Pro, CRE, or some other modified engine just isnt going to provide you with much other than a smaller wallet.

When it comes to servos, the Hite 7950 (steering) and 7940 (throttle) are tough to beat. They're priced well, have fantastic customer service, and are exceptionally reliable. I just had a 7950 start to fail and it will be 5 years old next month! I have 5 7940s in various vehicles and 2 7950s (truggy and buggy). They also just released their brushless equivalents that looks very nice but for the money, the 7940/50 is a tough combo to beat. The 7955 is a bit cheaper but has a cult following and works great on unregulated LiPo even though it isnt advertised as a LiPo friendly servo. I'm not a fan of Savox but I've only had one (sold it and picked up another Hitec).

LiFe packs just dont bring any advantage to RC. Go LiPo, you will be happier in the end.

Edit: if you get the Werks engine, go with a 2058 pipe. It is very versatile and will work well on many different engines down the road.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, kit, nitro, truggy