Community
Wiki Posts
Search

building a losi truggy..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? building a losi truggy..

gonna put together an 8ight T 2.0 and i'm brand new to off-road, so i'll take all the help/tips i can get. im building it to race with some friends on a track with some huge dirt jumps..

still shopping for servos. what is the most trusted/wallet-friendly model out there? please suggest a rx battery size also. i would prefer to stay nimh.

also considering a losi 427 engine, anyone have any input on the 427? or losi engines in general?
Old 07-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zakariah
gonna put together an 8ight T 2.0 and i'm brand new to off-road, so i'll take all the help/tips i can get. im building it to race with some friends on a track with some huge dirt jumps..

still shopping for servos. what is the most trusted/wallet-friendly model out there? please suggest a rx battery size also. i would prefer to stay nimh.

also considering a losi 427 engine, anyone have any input on the 427? or losi engines in general?
Losi engine, the spin start version won't fit without motor mount mods. Although cheap, more of a RTR basher engine. Too much displacement (hurts fuel consumption). Most run .21 displacement, although some have success with .23 size. .28 size displacement is really too much, although a few run them.

Others will chime in on other tips.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Look at the Werks B5 Pro, Around $300 with a pipe.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

Losi 427 is a great engine for bashing, gets about 6-7 min on a tank and had lots of power.... I run savox servos and have had great luck with them. As for building tips, if the Manuel tells you to lock tight something LOCK TIGHT IT!!! No mater how small the screw seems
Old 07-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks guys

luckily i'm starting with a roller from a friend. just have to convert it back to nitro. he has the radio tray, motor mount, fuel tank, and clutch for it.

on the engine topic.. if the 427 only gets 6-7 minutes on a tank, i'll definitely be looking into a .21

i have a nova .21 on my 1/8 GT car.. if all else fails, i might have to rob that.

and im trying to keep the engine budget between 100-200, because im seriously just gonna bash the living hell out of it trying to keep up with my brushless friends haha
Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Seether
Look at the Werks B5 Pro, Around $300 with a pipe.
so far it seems to be the best engine for the buck.
would you suggest a 2013 pipe?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yep - 2013 pipe for the B5.

Great lil engines.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Engine - Novarossi P5
Servos - Savox HV - Savox SB-2273SG - I have had no issues with the 1268's either.

Make sure to shim the rear diff properly.

Have Fun.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

The Losi 427 is a great budget engine, and can easily get more than 6-7 minutes on a tank. Depends largely on the pipe.. - and, as always with run-time - on a bunch of other factors.. I've raced one with a stock Losi RTR pipe and gotten 9 easily... Standard pronouncements about run-time for most people are dubious at best.. Two guys in two different places in the world with identical set-ups but different driving styles etc.. can have totally different results re run-times IMO. Then there are different plugs, pipes, fuels, driving styles, surfaces/tracks, etc..

No doubt a B5 for ex. is a better racing engine, but a Losi 427, assuming you can get it for a 100 bucks or so, is a great little budget engine if given the attention any racer would give to a B5 or anything else..
Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

splurged. the B5 will be here monday. i got the chassis today, and my boy threw me 2 pipes (one from an hpi .28, the other from a werks sport .21) i also ordered a dynamite 053 pipe when i ordered the engine (before i knew i was getting pipes with the roller..)

ive heard good things about the 053, and the 2013 can always be an upgrade later on.

my friend also proceeded to tell me that engine wont work with a pullstart. wrong crankshaft... luckily i have an associated starter box which i really hope works with this 8ight. it works on an rc8t, so it should work.

greatly appreciate the servo suggestions. seems like thats next on the grocery list here.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

thoughts on a 13t clutch bell?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Zakariah
thoughts on a 13t clutch bell?
Yep, 13t is the way to go.

I use Losi or Robinson Racing bells . . . some use vented bells; depends on the clutch you are using.

But 13t/48 or 50 in the 2.0 is typically used.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bill8Truggy
Yep, 13t is the way to go.

I use Losi or Robinson Racing bells . . . some use vented bells; depends on the clutch you are using.

But 13t/48 or 50 in the 2.0 is typically used.
good deal. thats exactly what i'll be running. i needed a flywheel so i got the 13t clutch with the kit. already a 48t on the chassis.

oh and the associated bump box works fine, just set it up.

wondering what else i'll need.. spare turbo glowplugs? whats the best source for them?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Yes - spare plugs are a good idea - especially when you are learning to tune.

OS p3's are normally a safe choice, or Werks plugs.

M2c or Werks clutch . . . (I dont like the pins/screws in the losi clutch) - I haven’t tried a Buku clutch, but apparently they are good too.

Get some spare clutch bearings - 5x13 & 5x10 . . . and some hinge pins.

Otherwise they are a pretty durable car and only tend to break if you hit something.

Normally the spare part you need is the one you don’t have!

Get out there, have some fun and replace parts as needed.

As has been said before - lock tight is your friend . . .

One final tip *** preventative maintenance ***

Don’t be lazy (as I have been in the past) - after use, take the front and rear box off the chassis, take the radio box off and give the car a clean - inspect your car and make sure nothing is loose, replace bearings BEFORE they wear out - check your rear diff shimming - as a rough guide, change your oils in the diff and shocks after every gal of fuel (I do mine more often as I race).

Take the time to set up your care BEFORE you head out. I normally use my car, then when I get home, or during the week before I head out again, clean it, service it, then set it up (ride height, toe, camber, make any adjustments to the suspension, oils etc) so when I take the car out the next time it is ready to go!

This may seem like a pain, but take my word; it is better to maintain your vehicle to avoid it breaking (in the comfort of your home when it is nice and clean), than it is to fix your car at the track when you would rather be driving. (Or worse yet - look forward to going for a run with your car, and break down after 5 minutes of run time and have to go home disappointed)
Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

As these other guys have said you may want to check out a different clutch like the Werks Racing one, since the Losi clutch has these pin/screw things that make it very hard to change clutch shoes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.