Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Whats wrong with this* brand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Whats wrong with this* brand?

Thought a thread like this could be interesting and beneficial at the same time to those who can possibly do something about it. (i'm all about people being happy with the products they run, and while the title and initial posts may be of negative nature I hope they eventually turn into a positive for everyone in this hobby!)

Here is a template ordered alphabetically of the primary brands in 1/8th Nitro off road racing:

Agama -
Associated -
Durango -
Hot Bodies -
JQ -
Kyosho -
Losi -
Mugen -
Serpent -
SWORKz -
Tekno -
XRAY -

Looking for one word or one sentence to describe what you feel is the primary thing wrong or missing about the brand to make it better.
(If you have no familiarity with a brand leave it blank.)
**Responses don't have to be only reflective of how they drive. Could also be your feelings on the brand from what you've heard or experienced.**

Have fun.

Last edited by DRCRacer299; 07-23-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Agama - Very plasticy looking, seems inconsistant with setup and QC issues

Associated - look to require alot of "MODS" to handle like the rest, parts wear very fast

Durango - prototype looks to have promise, get it out, cheap, and lots of parts avail.

Hot Bodies - lacks part support, and bad radio tray design, excellent value for money for whats in the box(cheap too)
seems very a mutal driving car, that both aggressive and smooth drivers will like, but doesnt excel in either.

JQ - Looks to be a excellent car, exceptional support, parts and kits struggle in USA(more due to distributors)

Kyosho - Probably the best handling car on track, however last few years lost its quality and value for money.) tki1 was the best value due to quality of plastic and the Hard anno alloy

Losi - plastic and alloy wears pretty quick , good performing car though, just requires alot of wrenching.

Mugen - Very good quality, but the new cars dont seem as easy to drive for the avg joes.

SWORKz - just a plan bad copy attempt, quality and durability.

Tekno - looks to have the most promise on the market, excellent support and customer service, looks like someone who has a brain designed this car.

XRAY - This is a hard one, the new car looks to drive extremely well , but has lost its "Xray never break never wear quality"

obviously all of these are my personal opinions on each. not saying im right or wrong, but this is my view.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Agama - accelerates like crazy - strange parts break

Associated - old

Durango - lack of support

Hot Bodies - it's a HB don't need to say anything else - (should move to the bottom of the list

JQ - still testing inconsistent results

Kyosho - most expensive/ breaks (new version just makes minor changes)

Losi - gets sloppy fast

Mugen - breaks

SWORKz - parts support

Tekno - lack of support

XRAY - expensive - new version every year (that can be good or bad)

Of this list kyosho, losi, x ray are the only brands I would buy again, I have not owned HB, JQ, Sworkz or tekno. Just my opinion, like 99.9% of the bench racing on here
Old 07-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Agama - Not too familiar with

Associated - Old design, lots of mods to be competive

Durango - Intrigued by new design. Too early to tell in production

Hot Bodies - Gets better as parts wear. Lack of parts support on and off. Forgiving platform for most drivers. Gets bad rep as "cheap $ does not = good"

JQ - Lots of updates, too many tuning options for standard racer

Kyosho - Handles well, very pricey, with that price, parts decisions (cheap plastic) makes me question loyalty to consumer

Losi - Great handling car for "sponsored" drivers. Seems to have durability issues from what I've seen.

Mugen - Seems the "7" series has had some issues with handling and durablity. Seems to maybe be "righting" the ship.

SWORKz - Not too much info. Hara can make anything good.

Tekno - Too pricey for lack of parts and team support (setups, etc)

XRAY - Luxary brand. Handles well with good results. Still insists on coming out with new vehicles every year that make almost all of your old parts useless

I have owned Xray, Kyosho, and HB. All have there merits (as I am sure the rest on the list do), and comes down driver preference and price points.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:12 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Agama - Who? , Lacks market penetration in many areas.

Associated -How do you screw that up??? Your 1/10 program is on point, you had two of the best drivers in the world, prob one of the largest R/D budgets around and we get that as the new buggy?

Durango -To slow bringing the new buggy to market, If that's how long it takes to do a buggy how long will your faithful have to wait for a new truggy?

Hot Bodies -When you have to sell your entire US inventory to the devil ,oops I mean Hobbico to keep the lights on, How long will that brand be around? Poor parts support and botched releases don't help anyone's
confidence.

JQ -To bad Joseph is a better at marketing gimmicks than building something
that works. The white edition shows promise. No one thinks "THE" is funny
anymore.

Kyosho -Relentless march toward perfection with complete blinders to QC problems the car has had since day one.

Losi -Slop, need we say more.

Mugen -Everone rushed out and bought one after the last worlds, where did they all go? Maybe Mugen needs to dial things back a bit somewhere between the 6r and 7.

SWORKz - HARA + AMAIN = New buggy thats gonna look alot like an MP9
Until then.... Henandez and Wood or was that Wood then Hernandez?????

Tekno - Really needs some Pros out there helping to refine the car and setup.

XRAY - "Flavor of the Month Club"

One other thing Ryan, I sure hope Durango realizes how absolutely critical you are to there success and treats you accordingly.

Last edited by JsK; 07-22-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JsK
Agama - Who? , Lacks market penetration in many areas.

Associated -How do you screw that up??? Your 1/10 program is on point, you had two of the best drivers in the world, prob one of the largest R/D budgets around and we get that as the new buggy?

Durango -To slow bringing the new buggy to market, If that's how long it takes to do a buggy how long will your faithful have to wait for a new truggy?

Hot Bodies -When you have to sell your entire US inventory to the devil ,oops I mean Hobbico to keep the lights on, How long will that brand be around? Poor parts support and botched releases don't help anyone's
confidence.

JQ -To bad Joseph is a better at marketing gimmicks than building something
that works. The white edition shows promise. No one thinks "THE" is funny
anymore.

Kyosho -Relentless march toward perfection with complete blinders to QC problems the car has had since day one.

Losi -Slop, need we say more.

Mugen -Everone rushed out and bought one after the last worlds, where did they all go? Maybe Mugen needs to dial things back a bit somewhere between the 6r and 7.

SWORKz - HARA + AMAIN = New buggy thats gonna look alot like an MP9
Until then.... Henandez and Wood or was that Wood then Hernandez?????

Tekno - Really needs some Pros out there helping to refine the car and setup.

XRAY - "Flavor of the Month Club"

One other thing Ryan, I sure hope Durango realizes how absolutely critical you are to there success and treats you accordingly.

Lol
Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299
Thought a thread like this could be interesting and beneficial at the same time to those who can possibly do something about it. (i'm all about people being happy with the products they run, and while the title and initial posts may be of negative nature I hope they eventually turn into a positive for everyone in this hobby!)

Here is a template ordered alphabetically of the primary brands in 1/8th Nitro off road racing:

Agama -
Associated -
Durango -
Hot Bodies -
JQ -
Kyosho -
Losi -
Mugen -
SWORKz -
Tekno -
XRAY -

Looking for one word or one sentence to describe what you feel is the primary thing wrong or missing about the brand to make it better.
(If you have no familiarity with a brand leave it blank.)

Have fun.
Serpent?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

An outsider's (non US) perspective from land down-under:

Agama - Owned (very briefly), nice car but little market presence and support, seems quite strong in Europe

Associated - Haven't owned; Alton has left, RM has flown the coup to join TLR and the promising Alton-designed RC8 proto looks to be all but scrapped. Can't see a new 1/8 car anytime soon. Current 8.2 (albeit modded) still shows it has pace at recent ROAR nats

Durango - Own; looking forward to DNX8's release and seeing what its all about - problem will be (for Australia anyway) is that there is no official Australian distributor anymore after Venom Australia folded some 12-24 months ago. Parts will be an issue. Quality and engineering finish is fantastic (on the dnx408's) with no breakages which I have experienced.

Hot Bodies - Own; great car, well built, engineered and spec'd for the $ the D812 kit costs, proven platform, but parts availability seems to be an issue (once again, in Australia, have to source parts if they are available from OS). Radio tray still an issue for rx batteries, but the CF lid mod rectifies this.

JQ - Own; its not bad but I don't think its that good either, the one I own had various QC issues, and have experienced some breakages on what would be considered nominal tumbles. Parts availability good locally, but priced a bit OTT from the local distributor. Can't comment on the White, but seems the hype has died down quite a bit since its release. As JsK mentioned, JQ has the marketing side down pat but I'm not sold on the cars (quality/driveability) after owning one (and nor would I recommend to anyone buying a JQ). There are better kits available on the market at a similar price point IMHO.

Kyosho - Haven't owned; always wanted one but can't justify spending the price acquiring one when I look at something like the D812.

Losi - Haven't owned; good parts support, once again would like to own a 8IGHT 3.0 but the sloppiness everyone reports puts me off. Quality of the kits looks nice every time I see one in person. Restricted battery options.

Mugen - Haven't owned; excellent parts support and set-up info everywhere you look, but as common as a Toyota Corolla (ie everyone seems to drive one). Part prices a little on the exccy side

SWORKz - Own; very nice car and a little underestimated by many as just a cheap mugen copy, quality is top notch, however, parts support seems to be a little bit of an issue at times, but can still source parts easily enough. Would imagine this will improve given the ever-increasing presence on the world stage - fantastic acquisition in Hara to really push the brand's image.

Tekno - Haven't owned; Looks good (if a little bland given everything appears to be color-coded the same color), made in the USA aren't they? Seem to be strong and drive well apart with some issues relating to spur gears and fuel tanks that I've read. Excellent customer support from what I can see with Tekno employees regularly on the thread/s fixing issues or providing advice.

XRAY - Haven't owned; would like one, but the price is getting up there and the fact that they see it fit to bring out a new model every 12 months turns me away from buying one - the previous xb9 looked to be a good platform, but since the xb8 came out, people trying to sell even barely used or new xb9 kits can't even give them away. People in RC (buggies/cars) seem to have the mind-set of the latest and greatest is the must have, don't bother driving anything but a current model of vehicle. Parts support in Australia (and everywhere it seems) is very good.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Ryan, been awhile since I've seen you out at fear farm. Do you plan on making it out anytime to do some testing?

I will only comment on the cars I have ran. Associated for 1.5 years, Hot Bodies for 5-6 months, Mugen for just over a month, and Kyosho for a short period.

Agama - Never ran, but heard the shocks weren't the greatest.

Associated - Little Heavy, Shocks require "finishing" to work at their best, needs clunk tank

Durango - Never ran

Hot Bodies - Sloppy for good reason, non-linear rear traction feel (why I got rid of it)

JQ - Never Ran

Kyosho - Fragile, soft metals

Losi - Never Ran

Mugen - Lazy, felt like no matter how hard it was pushed, it never really gained speed.

SWORKz - Never Ran

Tekno - Never Ran

XRAY - Never ran
Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Agama - The branding is wrong. sound fanatical. would i buy one ? no.

Associated - No new cars in years. No point buying it over again. It is the same since day one. Only upgrades.

Durango - No new car and just prototype only RL is smitten.

Hot Bodies - Better car in the the past. Present car ? errrr lucky Canadian wonder boy is there.

JQ - from old car to color edition. Maybe I would buy one when it have rainbow edition. means it is complete. I wonder who came out with the name "THE "drop the company who came out with the idea. " The company "

Kyosho - World champion and good sounds track record. CAR is priced like a Ferrari. Maybe the designer drives one. If it is priced like a toyota, the rest of the manufacturer would close down long time ago.

Losi - Strong car. No going to make a impact worldwide with the screws. The word "change '" never came into the management and only going downhill.

Mugen - WC car. Nice car. But loses it's reliability already. Breaks easily now. Very hard to drive car. Only for good drivers. Club drivers not going to like it.

SWORKz - Hara on board. Good. From copying a Mugen. Soon we see it's going to turn into a Kyosho.

Tekno - No comment.

XRAY - 12 months one car. Good support. Good owners ( Hudy's ) but not a lot of us wants to buy a car that lasts 12 months.

Serpent - Maybe they should go back to onroad. Horrific radio tray. Wrenching is hard. This not a offroad car.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Dickinson
Hey Ryan, been awhile since I've seen you out at fear farm. Do you plan on making it out anytime to do some testing?

I will only comment on the cars I have ran. Associated for 1.5 years, Hot Bodies for 5-6 months, Mugen for just over a month, and Kyosho for a short period.

Agama - Never ran, but heard the shocks weren't the greatest.

Associated - Little Heavy, Shocks require "finishing" to work at their best, needs clunk tank

Durango - Never ran

Hot Bodies - Sloppy for good reason, non-linear rear traction feel (why I got rid of it)

JQ - Never Ran

Kyosho - Fragile, soft metals

Losi - Never Ran

Mugen - Lazy, felt like no matter how hard it was pushed, it never really gained speed.

SWORKz - Never Ran

Tekno - Never Ran

XRAY - Never ran
It sounds like you've never had a particularly good experience with any kit you've driven. What are you currently racing with? What are your thoughts on it?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pcage
Agama - The branding is wrong. sound fanatical. would i buy one ? no.

Associated - No new cars in years. No point buying it over again. It is the same since day one. Only upgrades.

Durango - No new car and just prototype only RL is smitten.

Hot Bodies - Better car in the the past. Present car ? errrr lucky Canadian wonder boy is there.

JQ - from old car to color edition. Maybe I would buy one when it have rainbow edition. means it is complete. I wonder who came out with the name "THE "drop the company who came out with the idea. " The company "

Kyosho - World champion and good sounds track record. CAR is priced like a Ferrari. Maybe the designer drives one. If it is priced like a toyota, the rest of the manufacturer would close down long time ago.

Losi - Strong car. No going to make a impact worldwide with the screws. The word "change '" never came into the management and only going downhill.

Mugen - WC car. Nice car. But loses it's reliability already. Breaks easily now. Very hard to drive car. Only for good drivers. Club drivers not going to like it.

SWORKz - Hara on board. Good. From copying a Mugen. Soon we see it's going to turn into a Kyosho.

Tekno - No comment.

XRAY - 12 months one car. Good support. Good owners ( Hudy's ) but not a lot of us wants to buy a car that lasts 12 months.

Serpent - Maybe they should go back to onroad. Horrific radio tray. Wrenching is hard. This not a offroad car.
wow so i take it you dont run 8th scale?why does tekno get no comment?just because you havent ran it or because flaws?just curious is all.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

wow so i take it you dont run 8th scale?why does tekno get no comment?just because you havent ran it or because flaws?just curious is all.
No comment = Haven't got one. Unfair to comment.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 PM
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wombat
An outsider's (non US) perspective from land down-under:

Agama - Owned (very briefly), nice car but little market presence and support, seems quite strong in Europe

Associated - Haven't owned; Alton has left, RM has flown the coup to join TLR and the promising Alton-designed RC8 proto looks to be all but scrapped. Can't see a new 1/8 car anytime soon. Current 8.2 (albeit modded) still shows it has pace at recent ROAR nats

Durango - Own; looking forward to DNX8's release and seeing what its all about - problem will be (for Australia anyway) is that there is no official Australian distributor anymore after Venom Australia folded some 12-24 months ago. Parts will be an issue. Quality and engineering finish is fantastic (on the dnx408's) with no breakages which I have experienced.

Hot Bodies - Own; great car, well built, engineered and spec'd for the $ the D812 kit costs, proven platform, but parts availability seems to be an issue (once again, in Australia, have to source parts if they are available from OS). Radio tray still an issue for rx batteries, but the CF lid mod rectifies this.

JQ - Own; its not bad but I don't think its that good either, the one I own had various QC issues, and have experienced some breakages on what would be considered nominal tumbles. Parts availability good locally, but priced a bit OTT from the local distributor. Can't comment on the White, but seems the hype has died down quite a bit since its release. As JsK mentioned, JQ has the marketing side down pat but I'm not sold on the cars (quality/driveability) after owning one (and nor would I recommend to anyone buying a JQ). There are better kits available on the market at a similar price point IMHO.

Kyosho - Haven't owned; always wanted one but can't justify spending the price acquiring one when I look at something like the D812.

Losi - Haven't owned; good parts support, once again would like to own a 8IGHT 3.0 but the sloppiness everyone reports puts me off. Quality of the kits looks nice every time I see one in person. Restricted battery options.

Mugen - Haven't owned; excellent parts support and set-up info everywhere you look, but as common as a Toyota Corolla (ie everyone seems to drive one). Part prices a little on the exccy side

SWORKz - Own; very nice car and a little underestimated by many as just a cheap mugen copy, quality is top notch, however, parts support seems to be a little bit of an issue at times, but can still source parts easily enough. Would imagine this will improve given the ever-increasing presence on the world stage - fantastic acquisition in Hara to really push the brand's image.

Tekno - Haven't owned; Looks good (if a little bland given everything appears to be color-coded the same color), made in the USA aren't they? Seem to be strong and drive well apart with some issues relating to spur gears and fuel tanks that I've read. Excellent customer support from what I can see with Tekno employees regularly on the thread/s fixing issues or providing advice.

XRAY - Haven't owned; would like one, but the price is getting up there and the fact that they see it fit to bring out a new model every 12 months turns me away from buying one - the previous xb9 looked to be a good platform, but since the xb8 came out, people trying to sell even barely used or new xb9 kits can't even give them away. People in RC (buggies/cars) seem to have the mind-set of the latest and greatest is the must have, don't bother driving anything but a current model of vehicle. Parts support in Australia (and everywhere it seems) is very good.
Hey Wombat, Hobbies Australia have become the Team Durango distributer in Australia
Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HomicidalBunny
It sounds like you've never had a particularly good experience with any kit you've driven. What are you currently racing with? What are your thoughts on it?
No actually I had terrific luck with my Associated. I started with that, switched to Hot Bodies, then Mugen, and in the end switched back to my Associated. I loved that car, was extremely competitive with it, and other than the tank it worked excellent for me in stock form.

Unfortunately due to my truck, ended up switching to Truggy. I currently run a Kyosho truggy. I would have purchased the AE truck, but couldn't afford a kit. A good friend of mine actually gave me his kind of worn ST-RR and I love it for the most part. Only problem is those stupid rear diffs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.