Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Fuel at the worlds... >

Fuel at the worlds...

Fuel at the worlds...

Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanef
It appears that the body and the host's have identified a potential problem for the event and have taken action to provide a fix. The problem i see from a racers side, and it is a massive one, is they could be profiteering as a result of their fix. If so, that's absolutely disgraceful.

If there are fuel manufactures coming on board with the supplying of the fuel, then the racers should be able to buy it at cost price, not 'hobby shop price'.

It also appears that these new local regulations on the storage of dangerous goods require the host to provide some sort of 'holding' facility built to some safety regulations. In my opinion that is a cost the host should take into account when holding an event, in no way should they be able to directly pass it on to the racers or be able to justify it by 'buddying up' with the governing body, i shake my head in astonishment at the neglect shown by those involved.

Maybe there is a language barrier, but I though it meant "The price at which the hobby shops pay". I could be wrong.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

not sure why South Africa should be brought into this.. how about we focus on italy, and how do get more info about what fuel your avergae joe can race there.. will there be more fuel brands etc?
I for instance, am from South Africa, don't see me ranting on about you "muhricans".. lets stick to the topic here.. "Fuel at the worlds."

I dont even know what fuel I am going to run there. as I generally travel with the nemoracing guys when ever i go over to UK. Piranha doesnt seem to be on the list.
I will probably end up running what Darren Bloomfield is running, that is if he is not allowed to run Piranha, ? Not sure how this works.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I don't understand how these guys have fuel sponsors and can't run their fuel. They have spent significant time testing and tuning with a specific fuel. They know how their engine tunes with their fuel, they know what to expect mileage wise. Changing fuels at this level of racing can throw them off just enough to create a terrible week of racing for someone, and it likely will.
If I were traveling around the world to the most prized race in the world, you can bet I'd do everything possible to get the fuel I'm comfortable with.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I'm rooting for Rory McElroy. That guy don't even need fuel.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

The talk about the US, Fine what ever - but I think, just think, you can get fuel here??? And if IT was here, it would be a dope event for everyone involved.

But after reading everything, I cant find the purpose of this. There are rules, I didnt read anything about customs. What I did read is that drivers CAN bring their own fuel, but only in a Red Solo 6oz cup.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pickle311
I don't understand how these guys have fuel sponsors and can't run their fuel. They have spent significant time testing and tuning with a specific fuel. They know how their engine tunes with their fuel, they know what to expect mileage wise. Changing fuels at this level of racing can throw them off just enough to create a terrible week of racing for someone, and it likely will.
If I were traveling around the world to the most prized race in the world, you can bet I'd do everything possible to get the fuel I'm comfortable with.
The differences between top fuels are pretty minor. All of them can dial the engine in a couple tanks. This is a no factor in that regard.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I guess you have never read a fuel thread on here...

You would think asking a Byrons guy to run VP would be like asking him to run sulfuric acid for fuel...

Getting a pallet of Nitro fuel through customs is sure to be a nightmare. then, once you have said pallet of fuel through customs, where are you going to store it? They aren't just going to let you stick it in the trunk of your rental and just cruise off...

Only if VP/Byrons/Sidewinder and whatever else are already being sold over there will these guys be okay, and even then, they are still only allowed to have a liter each for each day....

Like was already mentioned, if whoever is leading and flames with 8 minutes to go, there will always be an asterix on whomever wins this race. Switching fuels, with as on the edge as these guys tunes are, is not as easy as you think. Hell, Tebo can't keep is engine running as it is. Last thing he or anyone else needs is another variable they can't account for.

And this doesn't just apply to Americans... Warren is prolly the only driver in this thread that is actually going to be there racing, and he has no idea what fuel he will have till he gets there. That sucks.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

its not just that...
Ok so we have 1 or 1.5liters of fuel.. per day.? Still not sure if its 1 or 1.5?
So 1st day comes.. I need to tune my engine first becuase, I never race at the coast. Then I need to go through scrutineering to check my tank size. That fuel always gets dumped.. so we looking at alteast 2 tanks before I even start running for the day. thats 250ml gone.. 750Ml left for the day ? with 4 timed runs for that day.. tank per run. 500ml (125x4) So I am left with 200ml of running to warm my engine before each run.

Just cutting it fine if you ask me? I might be completely wrong?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Manufacturers will not chance this race to these ridiculous 1 litre rules. They will find a way to make sure that everyone should have enough fuel for the event. Can u imagine tebo can't run because he has gone through his alloted fuel amount for the day. Orion would lose it.... I don't think anyone should worry about amount of fuel. Now what brand.... that's a different story....
Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillyT.
I guess you have never read a fuel thread on here...

You would think asking a Byrons guy to run VP would be like asking him to run sulfuric acid for fuel...

Getting a pallet of Nitro fuel through customs is sure to be a nightmare. then, once you have said pallet of fuel through customs, where are you going to store it? They aren't just going to let you stick it in the trunk of your rental and just cruise off...

Only if VP/Byrons/Sidewinder and whatever else are already being sold over there will these guys be okay, and even then, they are still only allowed to have a liter each for each day....

Like was already mentioned, if whoever is leading and flames with 8 minutes to go, there will always be an asterix on whomever wins this race. Switching fuels, with as on the edge as these guys tunes are, is not as easy as you think. Hell, Tebo can't keep is engine running as it is. Last thing he or anyone else needs is another variable they can't account for.

And this doesn't just apply to Americans... Warren is prolly the only driver in this thread that is actually going to be there racing, and he has no idea what fuel he will have till he gets there. That sucks.
An asterix? No, variables are always present. The winner wins, no asterix, no debate, he/she wins. If these guys arent able to tune their engine in the window given, they have nobody to blame but themselves. Again, you dont get to the top tier of racing without knowing what the hell you're doing. It isnt like the options that are being provided are low quality fuels. Engines, tuners, and drivers will be just fine.

Drivers still have another 25 days to mess around with various fuels (not to mention the time that has already lapsed) and will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-8 days (qual/main days excluded) on site to work on vehicles.

So again, is this really worth bitching about? There is some controversial subject at every Worlds that people just love to cling on to; guess the forums would be rather boring if we werent all crying about something though.

Edit: Here are the laws that govern what you can and cant bring to the country. Guess IFMAR should have predicted the future when they chose the venue...

Last edited by madweazl; 08-21-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
Here are the laws that govern what you can and cant bring to the country. Guess IFMAR should have predicted the future when they chose the venue...
No one is asking IFMAR to predict the future, but waiting until less than a month before the race to inform everyone of far-reaching and stupidly ridiculous rules governing fuel is asinine. You mean it took them a year and a half to figure it out? And this is what they came up with? Pathetic.

There is a major difference between fuel brands. Byron Fuels is the only hermetically sealed fuel that I'm aware of. Sticking a red plastic plug in the top is useless, and does nothing to ensure consistency and prevent moisture accumulation in the fuel. The plastic plug has about the same effect as closing the cardboard flap at the top of your cereal box.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
No one is asking IFMAR to predict the future, but waiting until less than a month before the race to inform everyone of far-reaching and stupidly ridiculous rules governing fuel is asinine. You mean it took them a year and a half to figure it out? And this is what they came up with? Pathetic.

There is a major difference between fuel brands. Byron Fuels is the only hermetically sealed fuel that I'm aware of. Sticking a red plastic plug in the top is useless, and does nothing to ensure consistency and prevent moisture accumulation in the fuel. The plastic plug has about the same effect as closing the cardboard flap at the top of your cereal box.
And yet I still wouldn't use Byrons if they paid me.

Oops, I promised someone I would stop. Oh well, it's been months since I said anything so he will have to deal with it

Onroad racers are used to this. The last three major races I ran I used three different fuels. All three worked great, had no problem getting the tune with any of them quickly. I mean come on, you will need to retune everything anyway. No way a motor tuned in Florida or Texas or where ever is still going to be spot on in Italy.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
So again, is this really worth bitching about?
If I was either a driver sponsored by certain fuel, or a fuel company, I would be pretty hysterical. You're kidding, right? Why on Earth do any of these fuel companies sponsor drivers, just to not be allowed to have a shot at the biggest title there is? So what happens if say any of the Byron's sponsored drivers that have a real shot at winning, win the WC on someone else's fuel?

Why stop at just fuel? Just do the whole damn thing with handouts. Run one manufacture of car, one engine, one fuel. As the drivers go up the stand, hand them a transmitter and tell 'em have fun.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn_S
So what happens if say any of the Byron's sponsored drivers that have a real shot at winning, win the WC on someone else's fuel?
Nothing. It happens all the time.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me

is that why the raisins come alive in Raisin bran? lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.