Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Starting options. >

Starting options.

Starting options.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Starting options.

Hey guys still new to this. Got a Thunder Tiger EB4 S3 the pull start is just not for me (I keep breaking them) so was looking at a direct drive plate or a starter box. But the real question is can i run both just for convenience?

Cheers
Old 06-07-2014, 02:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can, but a starter box is the best option.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks buddy!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You will have to lower your engine mounts by about 5mm so your flywheel reaches the starter box wheel also from memory have to grind with a dremel part of your chassis where the rear of the engine block hits the chassis.

And yes much easier to start running a starter box.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

On my ofna 9.5 I had to bevel the edges of the flywheel opening to help the radius of the wheel get up to the flywheel. There wasn't a lower engine mount available. Once you bump you won't want to mess with anything else. I'm not sure how your motor was, but some rear start engines use a fixed pin on the end of the crank to engage the starting gear. The disadvantage of this is a shaft extension flying around in a bronze bushing. There is the potential for air leaks and it robs power. If you have the option once you get the hang of the box you can remove the back plate starter and replace it with a normal back plate. The normal back plate doesn't cover up the rear transfer ports nearly as much so the engine will breath better. On the force brand and force built engines the pin is spring loaded and depresses into the crank. The start plate has a curved ramp with a hole that catches the pin only when you pull it. It makes the engine not have to carry the starter around with it. If your engine has a fixed pin you have to dremil/file/machine the pin flat to put a standard back plate in, and there's no going back unless you buy a new crank.