Wiki Posts
Search

Xray XB8- HB812

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 03:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Xray XB8- HB812

Looking at a new buggy after selling my MBX7. I have narrowed it down to the XB814 and the HB812. Anyone changed from Mugen to either one of these cars and how do they compare.
Dave
Old 05-11-2014, 03:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

i have recently changed from the mugen mbx7, had all option springs, pistons, weights, etc etc still pretty loose and setup was awkward

now i have the d812, kit form, ty tessmans setup cheap car, excellent build.
wicked car to drive, really durable. way easier to setup,
Old 05-11-2014, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ran the MBX7 last year, and switched to the D812 for this year. Night and day difference.

Local track owner made the comment: "Wow, it was the car all along, we just thought you were a crappy driver".... Thanks, I think...

The 812 soaks up the rough better, doesn't lose the rear end like the mugen, but doesn't lose any of the mugen's steering. Plus, I find it easier to work on.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:46 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Both are excellent!

You have a ton of support here on RC tech for D812 set ups and Tessman himself comes on here to post tips and advice etc. Having just raced yesterday the best handling cars out on my beat to hell track was the new XB8 and the D812 and the laps times showed it. As usual parts support (wait the D812 doesn't break!) and cost should be factors...also with X-Ray it seems like this years car will be replaced by some other "wonderful new design" from Juraj next year - I think that potentially chaffs some people having to buy a new kit most years because in their eyes the old one is obsolete (whether that is really true is debatable because the old XB9 is still a great car) but I wouldn't let that dissuade you from the XB8 - it is a great car and that is coming from a HB guy... but if someone tells you it is more durable than a D812 they are lying - handling about par (from what I have seen) cost: obviously the D812 wins that one...
Old 05-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

D812 is the ticket, it's so easy to be fast with.
It's also the most rock solid durable car on the market.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I have ran all 3back to back to back and at big races. Have done well with all 3 but depends what your looking for.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

The Danish top driver Peter Harder has been running Xray since 200x?. Last yearh he tried the D812 (he is the distributor of both Xray and HPI/HB), because he needed more corner speed compared to the XB9'13. He was faster with the HB and won the EC+40 with that car. Now he is back with the XB8 and loves it. At least as much corner speed as the HB, and the Xray is MUCH more durable than the HB.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
and the Xray is MUCH more durable than the HB.
Whoa there.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

and the Xray is MUCH more durable than the HB.
wow, how about we checkout the last 30 odd pages or something on the xb8 thread... lots of breaking...
Old 05-13-2014, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

Jury is still out on the few XB8's that had an issue, if were talking all other XRAYs (808, XB9, XT9) then yes XRAY is more durable.
This is just a pissing match.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LightningStruck
I ran the MBX7 last year, and switched to the D812 for this year. Night and day difference.

Local track owner made the comment: "Wow, it was the car all along, we just thought you were a crappy driver".... Thanks, I think...

The 812 soaks up the rough better, doesn't lose the rear end like the mugen, but doesn't lose any of the mugen's steering. Plus, I find it easier to work on.
My MBX6r was this rear end would break out. Where as my MBX7 would not.

SO sir its all about the driver.
You had a MBX7. How long?
What did you change?
What did you want out of the buggy?
What type of driver are you?

"Wow, it was the car all along, we just thought you were a crappy driver"
I had the same RESPONSE coming from the mbx6 to the mbx7...

I did drive a Friends D812 it was nice. And was a team driver. To me it felt like a Kyosho.

And the Xray XB8 has it all. I would call it a hybrid of all the buggies.
So sir if you can try to drive one of each. See it if they fit you.

XB8 is someone I would say who loves to have the opt and time to try all of the opts it has.

D812 set it up and forget it type buggy with some quick change if needed and change tires.

Keep that in mind sir.
Driver A
doesn't driver like
Driver B

Tebo does not drive like Ty.

So get your hands one. If you can't go with something that looks fun to work on.. And give it each buggy a year before you jump ship.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I'm not sure about the HB car but in the last I have not been a fan of HB products in general. I do like the x ray products. The build is like no other, quality/ fit/ finish/ and top level engineering are what you will find in the box. The xb8 also needs KO options out of the box besides the usual swaybar here of there. The wheel weights help on tracks with low bite but are not necessary. This is a huge deal, it has been my experience in the last that I spend $600, $700 or 900 on a kit and then dump $200-$400 worth of option parts into it just to make it durable. I'm not sure if the HB car needs this by the xray does not.

I think you won't go wrong with either car. I'm obviously running x ray
Old 05-13-2014, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

the Xray is MUCH more durable than the HB.

I call BS on that. Not just slight BS, but a truckload of BS on that!

Our team hasn't broke a single piece across four drivers, since we started in late september last year. Not one single piece of plastic, nothing.

There is no way on earth we would have achieved that with Xray. No way on earth.

So I call BS on your statement, that is just complete and utter BS.

D812 is an absolute tank, it is Unbreakable like Bruce Willis in the movie of said title, you just can not break it and that's all there is to it.
As for your other BS statement that the Xray corners faster, yeah sure, Tessman is cornering way slower than the Xray drivers, isn't he? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Buying a D812? No need for spares, it won't break. Bring some clutchbearings and the set of various swaybars. Car comes with all the lightweight aluminum shock bushings, balljoint balls are all aluminum hard coated, nothing like certain other brands which make you buy it as an option.

D812 is unbeatable for price, unbeatable for performance, UNBREAKABLE, how anyone would buy any other car is just an enigma.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You can't compare Tesseman to an average driver, he's going to win with any of these current cars. Put both cars in the hands of a single driver and see if there's a difference. I personally have never driven an HB,so I can't comment on how they drive however they do look good in the right hands. As far as them being as durable as Xray, I honestly started to laugh at that. I don't know if something has changed or not with the car, but I know a few people that run them and I see constant failures and broken parts at big races out of the local HB drivers. This is a trend I have seen all the way back to the original D8.

Not sure how anyone can call BS on Xray being as durable as any other car. Xray has a proven history of being one of the most durable cars on the market. HB does not have that same reputation and it's not even close. Sure the people who drive them will claim they are just as good, the people who truly watch and pay attention likely won't agree.

Xray has had a couple of parts on the new XB8 that seem to be weaker than what we are accustomed to, however there haven't been a significant number of breakages and still Xray has addressed these issues. It's 3 parts in total that are in question and all 3 have updated versions being released.

Now I don't follow HB very closely, no reason for me to. It's likely they have made some changes and the car is a lot more durable now than what I've see over the years. It was notorious for soft plastic and lots of slop, maybe they ironed that out with new plastic.

At one point I was considering changing bands, this was probably 3 years ago. I read up on HB and what I found was the kit was cheap in comparison but needed a ton of additional parts to make it somewhat durable and fast. In the end, it was more expensive than Xray. Xray, you build the kit out of the box and nothing more than tuning options are needed.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

You obviously know nothing of the D812, and seem like you're talking about a D8 from 7 years ago, whcih is nothing of the same.

This car needs no hopup whatsoever. What you get in the kit is what you race, down to every single little piece, springs, pistons just run the stock ones, however you may want thinner swaybars.
As for your durability claim, I've done 7 races on this car, my teammates same, none of us broke anything, well my friend did go to neobuggy and didn't break anything there either even if it was cold there - so he has another race on it. So I have no idea what you are on about, seems to me that you've just spouted some preconceived ideas about cars from the previous decade, keep in mind this is 2014 please.

For last weekends 2nd round of regionals here I had stock pistons/springs, stock everything, except for swaybars F+R which were thinner optionals. No need for any other parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.