Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
OS Speed or Nova >

OS Speed or Nova

OS Speed or Nova

Old 04-15-2014, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

I have run both... The speed with a 2058 pipe is my choice... What nova is comparable to a speed ?? The keep off?? Naaa the virtus ??? Naaa .. In terms of stock engines you can t go wrong with either... But if you want the power then i would go speed
Old 04-15-2014, 05:59 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Add another for Nova. I've ran both brands and I don't ever see myself without a Novarossi in my rigs. Best motors I've ran in .12, .21, .25 and .28.

Lots of recent wins with a Virtus in Truggy and the Keep Off in buggy. Good luck choosing!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

FX Royal 5k!!!!! You can run it with the tune way off and it still idles down and never flames out. Awesome power and great runtime.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

I think the best overall picture of these engines power and performance I think take a look at The Dirt Nitro Challenge 2012. That has to be one of the most demanding tracks on a engine. 250 back straight - No one was touching Drake on engine power.

I think Drake (Novarossi) has the fastest cars on the planet. His truggy is just down right dirty, nasty.

Now I have driven OS Speeds and a Variety of Novarossi's. As a hobbyist, I chose Novarossi for the last 3 years (until this year) for two strong reasons. First, I have not run an engine with the longevity of the Novas. They go hard for a long time. I currently have 11 gallons on my P5 and 7.5 Gals on my Bonito. I have replaced the bearings on both. Not because they needed it, because I wanted to. The P5 was pinched once. And second, they are really easy to tune. IMO I think my Plus 21-4 is closer to the Speed as far as feel and performance.

I didn't have great luck with the OS engines longevity after the change. I will say, that Tessman makes those Speeds look good.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Os Speed and no reason anyone needs a modded motor, not a single person on here can even handle the stock power put out by either speed or nova, waste of money, but in our area the nova guys are always flaming out and I have not seen them last any longer than the 8-10 gallons I get in the Speed.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by USMC STONE 1
Os Speed and no reason anyone needs a modded motor, not a single person on here can even handle the stock power put out by either speed or nova, waste of money, but in our area the nova guys are always flaming out and I have not seen them last any longer than the 8-10 gallons I get in the Speed.
What area? My novas have been BEAST at holding a tune. 10 gallons is good, awesome really.

Have you owned a Nova? Just curious.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

I'd say Nova Rossi for me.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

I dont see the reason people use about how many gallons a engine could last... I will not use a older engine for a big event... That happend to me at the PNB... If you want to be fast you should always have "fresh" engines... I dont care it could last 20 gallons ... But how many gallons of true power and 10+ runtimes ???
Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by USMC STONE 1
This would be my opinion also.

You guys don't think you will be running the same Nova as Adam Drake do you?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

os speed = Muhammad Ali
nova virtus = Mike Tyson
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

No one brought up Reds? I don't know anyone personally running one but they seems to be getting a lot of attention lately.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I haven't heard about FX Royal, till this year when they sponsored a couple big racers. Also are they any good in truggies?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jnslprd
This would be my opinion also.

You guys don't think you will be running the same Nova as Adam Drake do you?
They are both the top motors to get, it's all gonna come down to whatever each is running now for opinion. The difference I notice seem to be
OS Speed - easier to tune, very strong, durability.
High End Nova I don't know what the "Newest top of line" is for them but they seem a little finicky to tune even the sponsored guys here seem to flame more than usual. Nova leads in runtime per tank see Drake. I usually only get 8-9 minutes per buggy tank on my speed.
One thing I would recommend is the Buku crank cap, every motor will leak thru the front bearing, spray some electrical cleaner by flywheel and it will stutter or even shut off on most motors, even 2-3 tanks in break in new. The cap eliminates a lot of tuning issues and should help keep dust out of motor and help longevity.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

what about the new orions?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get an O.S speed .21 for the buggy and a Novarossi .25 for the truggy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.