Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steampunk Caster ZX-1 Nitro Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Steampunk Caster ZX-1 Nitro Buggy

Ok so here goes. I recently acquired a partially built Caster ZX-1 buggy and am going through it, taking it down and reassembling to make sure everything was done right. I have found a lot of skipped steps, parts not fitting with the remaining hardware and such....

The body that came with the buggy is rather unappealing to me, so I painted it up into a color scheme that I really like. It makes me not hate it lol

No lubrication has been put into this thing whatsoever. The center diff was dry inside and I can assume the other two are as well. When I went to the hobby shop to get oil for this, they said there were three different weights, one for each differential? My book says nothing about what oil to use other than "silicone oil" If this is the case, anyone have a good recommendation of what to use?

Nothing was locktighted either where it needed it. Oh well. At least I know it'll be solid when Im done.

This is a really nice kit and I want to do it right. Ill post pics here as it comes along. I've been doing a bit of painting on it and will probably end up painting all the plastics, and "tarnishing" the shock springs with some light application of flat black.

I have an SH .21 engine in it, and just picked up a flysky fs-gt3c controller for it. Im hoping that the rebuild goes well.
Attached Thumbnails Steampunk Caster ZX-1 Nitro Buggy-steamo1.jpg   Steampunk Caster ZX-1 Nitro Buggy-steamo-2.jpg   Steampunk Caster ZX-1 Nitro Buggy-steamo-3.jpg   Steampunk Caster ZX-1 Nitro Buggy-steamo-4.jpg   Steampunk Caster ZX-1 Nitro Buggy-steamo-5.jpg  

Last edited by Archinto; 02-23-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: added more text
Old 02-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default a arms

Added some "steam" to the front suspension arms. Also painted the front diff cover and bumper.

Good thing I took the front apart. Found some missing shims and another dry differential.
Attached Thumbnails Steampunk Caster ZX-1 Nitro Buggy-20140223_190827.jpg   Steampunk Caster ZX-1 Nitro Buggy-20140223_231816.jpg  

Last edited by Archinto; 02-24-2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: added text
Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

To start with try something like 7000f/5000c/3000r, that should be a decent starting point.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool, Thanks man! Thats a big help!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Cool..
Old 02-26-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I like the paint job. Is it sprayed on or hand brushed?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Tech Rookie

I hand brushed the entire body. Took about 8-10 hours to do the whole thing. Im getting ready to lay some paint on the rear suspension arms and "steam them up" as well to match the fronts. Ill need to pick up some oil for my differentials before i can reassemble it. I got a good suggestion above but have read hat the eaaviest weight should be in the center diff and the lightest in the rear? I most likeley wil not be track racing with this, just driving it around out in the dirt
Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Honestly if you are just bashing with the car i would probably just fill the diffs with grease and not use silicon oil.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Even though its not going to be raced competitively, Id still like to put the weighted silicone oils in it and get the most out of my rig. Its my first and I'd love to build it up right. The diffs have very tight tolerances and I dont want them to wear out prematurely from using too heavy a lube I was thinking like 3k rear, 7k center and 5k front might be a good setup?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would use 7-7-3, which is what I currently run in my ZX-1.5R. You may find many of the newer parts that fit will be extremely durable. It's a great little car and will give you all the fun you want. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Oh awesome! Thanks man, I'll be sure to get a hold of ya if I have any problems with my build. Its good to hear what other people with Casters are running