gas engines to take over nitro in 1/8?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

gas engines to take over nitro in 1/8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

Bad for health has not so much to do with gas or nitro, its the oil a 2 stroke burns.

Someone should make a rotary engine for RC cars, far beter power/size ratio compared to piston engines.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fun hawg 1
+1 doug henry was a awesome rider
You mean still is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jowo58yldpE

Man i must have watched the original terrafirma henry segment one million times!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Nitro

How is the impact of nitro RC on the environment measured? The energy density of nitro over gasoline is known. For applications like RC and top fuel drag racing gasoline just won't ever be able to get the job done. For an RC application, weight and size of the equipment and the fuel tank are important. The existing set up is already filling out the chassis. Besides. I like the way cars were made when you could open the hood and fix them yourself. That is what I love about nitro RC. I can build it. I can fix it. And how well I do that affects how well I drive it! It is a simple as ice cream and I would like to see it stay that way.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Tech Champion

Amen!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillyT.
You guys are crazy though, if you think being around 10 running gas cars is better than the nitro cars...

The fumes and the smell... hell, it could actually kill you. You think nitro indoors is bad... ha ha.
We had an indoor MX track that added an indoor r/c track. Grand opening day for the r/c track, they were also doing MX practice. The bikes ran for a couple hours just fine. After 10 minutes of about 6 nitro buggies on the track, every carbon monoxide detector in the building was going off. That was the only day nitro was allowed in the building. And yes, they had lots of ventilation going and fans running since it was an old giant golf dome and needed them to stay inflated.

Gas is the way to go. 2 strokes can still stay. It will do to fuel racing what lipo did to electric racing, even if you don't believe it. Previously working at a couple hobby shops, the main thing that turned people away from nitro was the cost of the fuel. Now you can get cheap fuel and run for longer times. Exactly what lipo's did for electric, they were cheaper and provided more run time.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
Someone should make a rotary engine for RC cars, far beter power/size ratio compared to piston engines.

Already done.

http://www.osengines.com/engines-air...401/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDrxVb9AK5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKd-uSfXvLI
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If we want cheap fuel, we just need to push the development of engines that run on FAI fuel. Even the high dollar 0% stuff is only 12 bucks a gallon.

I have a .28 that I am going to convert to run 0. If I can make the same power as a .21 and get the same run times, it's going in my buggy.

Methanol and castor oil are cheap... cheap as gas. No electronic ignition to mess with.... Seems like a better short term solution to me, if you are worried about the cost of nitro.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

FAI fuel is more expensive?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGHB9
Old 02-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That's for 4 gallons.

Methanol is 3-4 bucks a gallon. Could mix your own 0% for way cheap. Just add the Klotz or castor. Just like running a gas two stroke.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Thats awesome. I just realized it was 4 gallons.. that is cheap.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

- EFI and electronic ignition has been on RC airplanes for 10+ years. It's not a big deal. The EFI is just a throttle body EFI. No complex or super fancy $$$ tuning is required.

-displacement is a non-issue. We've run .28's in buggies for a while. Noone really cares. Run what ever engine you want. Let the pieces fall where they will. As long as the rest of the car is ROAR legal, it's not a big deal.

-the ignition is tiny. Making sure it's 8.4v lipo friendly is the key. Most airplane ignitions are not lipo ready.

-responsible use of refueling IS the key to gas racing. Refueling is often banned in 1/5th scale racing due to safety concerns. Nitro doesn't burst into flames and injure everyone on pit lane the way gas can.

-it's only a matter of time until the weight comes down. But Ebuggies are 0.5-1 pounds heavier than my nitro.......they get around the track well enough. (the Kyosho MP9 is 2 Oprah's, and a bag of lead, heavier than an Xray, and it fares ok.)

-who says you can't add Nitro to your gasoline and retune compression and ignition timing??? Might need a little TAG body spray to start reliably?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

You guys are thinking about this wrong. I really doubt that the 2 stroke gas engines will ever take over the nitro but give it time (and race organizers to allow it) and I see them both being able to compete in the same class on the same level. Are Nitro engines bad to breathe the exhaust? Heck yea but is breathing a gas engines exhaust any better? Maybe fractionally yes but still. They both create exhaust fumes so that's not really an issue. The gas engine in the Losi seems slow because its in a huge, heavy monster truck. Imagine the same engine, with proper gearing, in a 1/8 buggy or truggy.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:44 AM
Tech Champion

gas engines now available

Dynamite DYNE0500

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...gsReviews=true
http://www.advantagehobby.com/253172/DYNE0500/?pcat=390

many shops are selling it in Germany also

http://www.mhm-modellbau.de/part-DYNE0500.php
http://www.hobbydirekt.de/Horizon/Mo...0::273552.html
Old 09-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fun hawg 1
Only Yamaha has four stroke sleds all my ski doos are 800cc 2 stroke twins and I ride a new yamaha yz 250 its a 2 stroke. I am sure 2 strokes will become a thing of the past soon. The power to weight ratio of a 2 stroke is hard to beat. Something that is really cool about my ski doos you push a button for reverse and the motor runs backwards no gears.
2 stroke is still availible and yamaha is certainly not the only company with 4 stroke sleds. Polaris has them, skidoo, arctic cat...well basically everyone makes them. Pretty sure 2 stroke is still being produced but 99% of everything being sold right now is 4 with the exception of maybe chainsaws and weedeaters and even those are starting to be changed over. Non direct injection 2 stroke sucks anyway. Mixing your own fuel is for the birds. I hate it and so do most people that have to mix. 4 stroke is much easier in that regard. Runs cooler, better mileage. Trade off would be weight and power tho....but if you can find a way to make more power you have a very wide powerband and with more power weight becomes less of an issue.

Anyway, id love to see gas engines make it to 1/8 scale buggies. $3 a gallon instead of $40. Easier tuning. Easier starting. Less heat. Wicked 2 stroke smell. Cheaper parts. But not nearly the revs
Old 09-13-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Lot of broken conrods among the XXL-2 guys... Something definitely seems flawed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.