Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fyrstormer
  • 1 Post By fyrstormer

Revo 3.3 optidrive errors

Old 03-02-2024, 09:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Revo 3.3 optidrive errors

(First time nitro owner)
I recently just bought a Traxxas Revo 3.3. Amazing looking car but I’ve had a horrible experience with it since day one. On only my second tank of fuel my Revo started to glitch out and the throttle became sticky. It proceeded to drive itself full send into a curb and destroy itself. Now my local shop had it fixed and sourced the issue to the transmitter, where if small taps were administered to the power switch, optidrive would detect a fault and cut power to the throttle servo, leaving it wide open and with no way to stop it. My shop traded me for my stock transmitter and I got a brand new one. But it still glitches. My receiver itself has no problem staying connected and the steering works perfectly, but is there a way I can just get rid of optidrive?
Old 03-02-2024, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CanuckMX
(First time nitro owner)
I recently just bought a Traxxas Revo 3.3. Amazing looking car but I’ve had a horrible experience with it since day one. On only my second tank of fuel my Revo started to glitch out and the throttle became sticky. It proceeded to drive itself full send into a curb and destroy itself. Now my local shop had it fixed and sourced the issue to the transmitter, where if small taps were administered to the power switch, optidrive would detect a fault and cut power to the throttle servo, leaving it wide open and with no way to stop it. My shop traded me for my stock transmitter and I got a brand new one. But it still glitches. My receiver itself has no problem staying connected and the steering works perfectly, but is there a way I can just get rid of optidrive?
Scrap the optidrive module and use as manual shift with radio. All optidrive dose is to prevent shifting to reverse when moving. Traxxas transmitters are junk. I use an M11. Just plug in to Rx the throttle and 3 channel direct to receiver.

Did you break in motor 6 tanks with no load to start before driving???
Old 03-02-2024, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just get rid of the Reverse (which requires Opti-drive) and make sure you set your fail-safe to go to neutral/brake.

https://youtu.be/sI1vU4o0k0Y?si=owdmrbpd9jvbpvf0
Old 03-03-2024, 01:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have 4 Traxxas vehicles with OptiDrive modules installed -- two T-Maxxes, a Slayer, and a Revo -- and they all work just fine. 3 of them didn't even come with OptiDrive to begin with (the T-Maxxes, which had the old black non-OptiDrive transmissions, and the Slayer, which didn't have reverse at all) -- I installed the OptiDrive modules myself and everything works perfectly.

If I understand correctly, you never tried replacing the receiver or the receiver battery. Is that correct? If so, maybe give that a try. A secure radio connection requires a reliable transmitter and a reliable receiver, both powered by reliable batteries, y'know?
MonsterJuice likes this.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
I have 4 Traxxas vehicles with OptiDrive modules installed -- two T-Maxxes, a Slayer, and a Revo -- and they all work just fine. 3 of them didn't even come with OptiDrive to begin with (the T-Maxxes, which had the old black non-OptiDrive transmissions, and the Slayer, which didn't have reverse at all) -- I installed the OptiDrive modules myself and everything works perfectly.

If I understand correctly, you never tried replacing the receiver or the receiver battery. Is that correct? If so, maybe give that a try. A secure radio connection requires a reliable transmitter and a reliable receiver, both powered by reliable batteries, y'know?
The Opti drive module is just an electronic switch to prevent shifting forward /reverse until stopped. I own 12 t maxx trucks and they never came with Opti drive. Just another gimmick for you to buy and replace. You don't need it! A I said before Traxxis radios are junk.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 1995 Monster T
Scrap the optidrive module and use as manual shift with radio. All optidrive dose is to prevent shifting to reverse when moving. Traxxas transmitters are junk. I use an M11. Just plug in to Rx the throttle and 3 channel direct to receiver.

Did you break in motor 6 tanks with no load to start before driving???

Yes the motor is fully broken in and I did try what you told me, the new setup without optidrive is much more reliable however it’s not perfect, at least now when my transmitter disconnects the throttle servo resets instead of hold it wide open
Old 03-03-2024, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CanuckMX
Yes the motor is fully broken in and I did try what you told me, the new setup without optidrive is much more reliable however it’s not perfect, at least now when my transmitter disconnects the throttle servo resets instead of hold it wide open
The throttle should return to center nuteral . That problem can be the servo is not centered Remove the servo horn trim radio to center and put horn back on. Check fail safe and make sure when radio turns off throttle servo go to full brake. The throttle servo is weak and that can be another problem too to why servo doesn't return to center. Make sure you have good batteries for the receiver I only use 5 cell rechargeable batteries as it's easier to just charge instead of replacing with dry cell batteries.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1995 Monster T
The Opti drive module is just an electronic switch to prevent shifting forward /reverse until stopped. I own 12 t maxx trucks and they never came with Opti drive. Just another gimmick for you to buy and replace. You don't need it! A I said before Traxxis radios are junk.
Yes, OptiDrive is just an interlock to prevent you from shifting between forward and reverse while moving. My point is it works correctly when you set it up correctly, and setting it up correctly isn't difficult, so it's nice to have that interlock in place for that one time you forget what you're doing and hit the wrong button...or loan your RC to a friend.

No comment on Traxxas radios. I use Spektrum radios, which someone else will come along and hate momentarily.
petersen114 likes this.