Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
so whats so special about byrons gen2 race? >

so whats so special about byrons gen2 race?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

so whats so special about byrons gen2 race?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default so whats so special about byrons gen2 race?

ok I thought I'd give another type of fuel a try in my losi buggy with the 3.4 engine. it's just a basher and nothing special. I've been running byrons 25% in it for about 2 whole gallons now.

a little background, I thought this motor was just worn out that's why it was so sluggish and had a poor take off and low top speed.
yesterday I ran out of fuel so I ran up to the local hobby shop. they had some Wildcat Fuels protekk 20% in quarts so I thought ok, it's probably more suitable for bashing lets try it. probably a lot more oil etc. I don't need the best of the best. and it's only $13.

I'm sure I'll get a nice out of most of you veterans out there but this fuel, was like putting a turbo charger on a 500cubic inch motor.
I'm not even remotely exaggerating this. it spins up 2 times faster and takes off like shot out of a cannon from a stop.
I am totally impressed with this fuel already. some of you should seriously try it you might find it performs a lot better than byrons gen 2.

I will say the byrons kept this engine in superb cleanliness. the engine wear is not even noticeable and there is 0 carbon build up on the piston or head
Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

did you retune with the wildcat fuel?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Let us know how it looks and performs after about 7 gallons or so.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

Just to let you know byrons produces wildcat fuel. How old was your byrons fuel could have been bad fuel which can happen from time to time. I know I had the same problem from vp fuel I will never run that cheap fuel again.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Nothing wrong with the performance of byrons whatsoever , it is also very good for the engine

race blends and pro driver blends are my fav
Old 11-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Byrons owns Wildcat now but they produced their own fuel.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
Nothing wrong with the performance of byrons whatsoever , it is also very good for the engine

race blends and pro driver blends are my fav
ironic you mention race/pro blend, not trying to hijack the thread but ive been wondering about the pros/cons with the 11% vs 9% oil if any? been running both and dont notice much difference?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:15 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by beidle99
Let us know how it looks and performs after about 7 gallons or so.
I bought the buggy used. the owner said he only ran about 1 gal in it so far. I don't know. but I also wouldn't expect a stock losi 3.4 engine to last that long anyway.
I don't claim this stuff is better for a racer. however I do think it's a great bashers fuel. I think the extra oil in it is sealing my worn out engine thus the noticeable increase in power.

wildcat is now made by byrons yes. but that is just recently. the bottle i have isn't. or it doesn't say it yet.

I notice the traxxas fuel is made by morgan fuels now. I see a ton of people using omega which morgan makes.

I hope that byrons keeps the blend and contents unchanged. I'm sure they wont though.

Originally Posted by robbieg
did you retune with the wildcat fuel?
I didn't touch the settings at all. idles good and returns to idle quickly after a wot run.

I also bought a bottle of odonnell ready to run to try in it also. I just ran out of time yesterday and too many people started showing up at the park I was at. kids start bugging the crap out of ya. lol

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 11-04-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Your problem with Byrons was old fuel or bad tune(glow plug included).
You switched from 25% to 20% with no tuning? That's a red flag to me.
I have to retune when simply changing fuel brands of same nitro content.
Byrons is top shelf fuel.

If you are saving money and wildcat is working for you then great... just nothing wrong with Byrons products.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Suspended

I've been using mc coy plugs, dynamite plat plugs, odonnell plugs, and OS plugs all in various heat ranges. I've tried them all. I order them often to meet the free shipping on some sites.

the fuel, well I guess it could of been old. who knows. if it goes bad why don't they put a date on the bottle?
the shop I got it from sits it on the floor. don't know if that will affect it. I think I read someplace that's not a good idea. but like the car battery thing that's just a myth.

I think the motor is just junk. the guy that had the car must of ran it through a puddle a few times from the way it looked when I got it. good ol ebay job. I didn't get burned but he also didn't mention all the things wrong with it either. the best part of the deal was the ofna truggy bump box. lol

but to be honest, I don't think I will purchase any more byrons gen 2. the other hobby shop (hobby town usa) sells VP powermaster for $27. $4 cheaper than the byrons. they also sell bottles of Klots castor oil which I might use also. much better hobby shop than the other one.

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 11-05-2013 at 05:00 PM.