Wiki Posts
Search

**CHALLENGE TO TEAM ASSOCIATED/LOSI/KYOSHO/HB ALL YOU COMPANIES!!**

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Exclamation **CHALLENGE TO TEAM ASSOCIATED/LOSI/KYOSHO/HB ALL YOU COMPANIES!!**

The 21st Century, year Two Thousand Thirteen... In this day and age of technology and computer smart programmers out there. None of the Major RC car makers, Team Losi Racing, Team Associated, Kyosho, Mugen Seiki, Hot Bodies, Hudy etc have this out there for us "Racers/Club Racers".

An advanced, electronic, set-up guide/sheet for a specific RC vehicle.

Not all of us are tech savvy, have the tuning experience, have enough time to test, to reach the "SET-UP" for our own individual driving style/abilities. But, I will bet about 99% like to win. Winning is fun, losing is....not as fun. I know that racing is a really "secret" industry, the challenge of racing is experimenting with setups and is the "fun" part of the hobby. It can be pretty frustrating also. Some of the "Pro's/Team Drivers are really ABSENT on this forum RCTECH. I just don't see that as "representing" your company and product. Seriously, RCTech has got to be the BEST RC forum on the planet.

Here's what I've been thinking for quite a few years now: I just see a electronic setup sheet for a RC car. You hover your pointer over a section and it pops up an explanation or interacts with a "Siri" voice of the basics or even an advanced explanation (sky's the limit) of that ONE part of the sheet/car.For I.e. camber and a drop-down is there and a value is selected and an explanation is given. All of the variables in a setup of a RC are given values and combined and calculated with all combined variables and can give the driver a huge first step before they even put the car on the track. Each click that you set or change calculates how the car will perform on the track, which are also specified and given values, and you can better see what a change can do. A summary of all values/variables is at the bottom and very user friendly. If a driver is on the drivers stand wheeling with confidence of his/her setup, the potential is huge.

This is a old reference, I'm showing my age, but the movie "Day's of Thunder" (help me Tom Cruise) could drive the car like crazy, but he couldn't communicate with the mechanic what suspension changes could make him go faster. I think a lot of racers that I've met are in this category, they reach a limit of their potential because of their knowledge or access or time to understand setup tuning. I know there are secrets of the trade, and its all hush hush. Give a guy a break, remember? It's supposed to be fun? Hey, Ricky Bobby, "if you aint first, you're last. I don't think this would level the race track, I think it would advance the race track and make the industry grow. Huge potential.

I'm sure it can be done. I am just surprised someone hasn't came out with it yet. I think it would make a RC way more user friendly, marketable and someone that comes up with this thing pretty popular at the track. I've seen some of the camber/roll center graphics from some programmer on suspension comparisons and Physics 109 and that stuff just confused a lot of us worse. Did I mention "User Friendly?"

Team Associated, Team Losi Racing, Kyosho, Tekno, Mugen and all you other big guys I CHALLENGE YOU! To translate all your research, hours of R&D of your Team Drivers and give us small guys a hand dialing in these cars we spend our hard earned money on. Knowledge is power not a secret.

Hoping for a electronic set-up sheet for my cars someday soon. I have my thoughts on which RC company will be the first to create this "tool" for us.

If you agree or have $.02 to add please feel free Subscribe, show this rant to anyone who can hit up the Big guys, get this out on the street.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Lightbulb

"an Inter-Active set-up sheet/program"
Old 08-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

VRC Pro does this with the setup for the virtual cars. It is electronic, interactive, and has drop down screens to try to help you with what you are doing. Hope this helps!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There are plenty of general guides out there. Most cars come with a setup that is 90% there, just need to run the right tires. Then it is all small changes here and there to get the car to fit your handling preferences.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 AM
Tech Adept

Sure would be nice.i dropped a class just so I could put in the time to learn how each change effects the way my buggies drive.its been a long 4 months........
Old 08-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hudy guide?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

very good idea. that would be something i would download straight away. let's see who comes out with one first.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LightningStruck
Hudy guide?
HUDY SETUP GUIDE
Old 08-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

In my experience, the car stays 95% the same. Just a quick change of fluids, toe, and/or ride height makes all the difference. Tires also are a huge factor.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Tech Rookie

I usually go for the team drivers setup and tweak from there. The hudy guide is very helpful when you want to know what effect changing different things on your truck will do. Every track is different and will need different setups as well as not every driver drives the same and will need a different setup to suite their driving style.

After you have been racing for a while you will be able to see speed differences between different setups. This year I had been running a weird setup with almost no droop, light suspension and low ride height and was running fairly quick, but our track started to get blown out a bit and lots of rough spots that would almost flip your truck. So I switched to a full droop setup with stiffer roll bars to keep things from flopping around when hard on the brakes or hard on throttle. I have only been able to practice with my new setup, but I think it will do well.

I don't think any one company has the resources or interest in putting in the effort to develop an interactive rc race tuning setup sheet. Mainly due to the fact that every track is different. Your best bet to fine tune your truck is to look at the how the fast guys at your track have their truck setup, do a similar setup on your truck and test it. Then reference the hudy tuning guide and try tweaking different things to see if they make you run faster.

Usually the easy things to tweak are the shocks, sway bar, roll center, camber, toe, and droop. All of which can be done without too much wrenching on your truck will change different handling aspects giving more or less grip depending on where you see your truck sliding or rotating too fast or having trouble navigating different parts of your track! There is no one perfect setup for a race truck!

It has taken me a while to start to learn setup, and I am still learning. But there are some really cool effects you can cause by tweaking your setup. You can change how your truck jumps, more nose up or down depending on shock preload. Playing with roll centre will change how much weight is transferred side to side mid corner. Some trucks even have options for chassis flex, which can effect any number of very small handling characteristics.

Wheel time with a truck is really the only way to do a setup on anything. You can have a computer tell you what will work best, but you need hands on time to see what will work best for you. Like anything it is 90% driver and setup will follow. I have won races with a half broken truck, you just have to be able to change your driving style to keep your truck moving fast!