Wiki Posts
Search

Alpha Lutz Edition.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Alpha Lutz Edition.

I am thinking of picking one of them up. I am just looking for opinions of the engine. Any unexplained flame outs or problems I should know about? Not many people around my area run them I am just wanting something different.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I don't personally own one but have done a lot of research on them and have seen some run and you can't go wrong with one. Great motor for the money. I personally run the Picco 5tr and it's a fantastic engine as well.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeC
I don't personally own one but have done a lot of research on them and have seen some run and you can't go wrong with one. Great motor for the money. I personally run the Picco 5tr and it's a fantastic engine as well.
+1 great engine, great price...you seriously can't go wrong. Same goes for the Alpha A830 'Dragon' engine. Check the Alpha thread in the engine section for people's feedback.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:36 PM

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The Lutz is the best priced and engine you will be able to fine. performance, power an price.
I like the the lutzs with 2090 alpha pipe or try the 0801 pipe.
Just get it lapped in!!!!!! This will help u break in easy and be easy on the con rod. Having it lapped in is so much better than idling 10-12 tanks on the starter box and wasting fuel!!!!!
Lance at RcRenew does a great job on the lap-in.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 PM

Cbeeler46 now don't get upset if ur post here gets moved to the nitro forum.
The Rc tech gods try and keep posts in the right forum.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I will also +1 the alpha ryan lutz. Ive only ran it for a little bit just past 1 gallon and its definitely an awesome motor. Also have met Ryan and hes a very nice guy and stands behind his product. Break in does take longer then most as the engine has alot of mechanical pinch. A VERY tight motor indeed. Definitely happy with mine, its easy to tune and responds well which is real good since my experience with nitro is limited right now.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You need a Werks #5 or OS P3 plugs for break-in. Don't even bother with the Lutz plugs.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Ms. Beelers is waiting just sayin...
Attached Thumbnails Alpha Lutz Edition.-image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rsickles
You need a Werks #5 or OS P3 plugs for break-in. Don't even bother with the Lutz plugs.
Hmmm. Are you suggesting a #5 Werks and a p3 are similar in heat? From my experience, I kinda think a #5 Werks is cooler than a p4.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sschultz
Hmmm. Are you suggesting a #5 Werks and a p3 are similar in heat? From my experience, I kinda think a #5 Werks is cooler than a p4.
No that's wrong.

The Werks 5 is closer to a P3. You can read Ron's own words here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/8411466-post6271.html

The Lutz needs a very hot plug, especially for break-in (maybe other Alpha's do too, but I only have experience with the Lutz). What happens is once you start bringing the RPM's up during break-in, the colder filaments extinguish with excess gas that it can't burn off, giving you flame outs and tuning issues. Most people are having great success with the Werks 5 and Picco P5TH plugs with the Lutz, and even P3's IMO.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

I know this is an old thread but what is the difference in the lutz edition and the worlds lutz edition? Will the worlds work for both a buggy and a truggy? Thanks for any input.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rchogfan
I know this is an old thread but what is the difference in the lutz edition and the worlds lutz edition? Will the worlds work for both a buggy and a truggy? Thanks for any input.
Hello,

Just up a bit in the Nitro Thread there is an Offroad Engine segment where most of the engine topics are discussed.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...ine-forum-157/

To answer your question the changes on the Worlds Edition are:
New crankshaft with a brass weight in the silicone to make the crank perfectly balanced
Crank is special coated and the crank pin doesn't wear.
New Revised con rod for increased durability
Case has minor durability revisions.

Performance wise the Worlds is a bit smoother on bottom and throughout due to the balance crankshaft.

You can see video's of break-in, maintenance, and tuning of the Worlds edition on my blog www.lutzinator.com under the Video's tab. Also feel free to ask me any questions you have at my e-mail through my blog or on Facebook.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:32 AM
Tech Rookie

I have the lutz world edition blue heat sink. After around 17 tanks the brass insert Inside the crankshaft came off . Anyone have problems with thiers? The brass seems to be held with the red silicone only.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jlodvo
I have the lutz world edition blue heat sink. After around 17 tanks the brass insert Inside the crankshaft came off . Anyone have problems with thiers? The brass seems to be held with the red silicone only.
Are you using after run oil of any kind? ARO can degrade the RTV's bond.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with the Lutz Worlds Edition! I have been running one since the blue head version was released and although the break-in was a bit longer than some of my previous engines, it wasn't bad. This engine holds the pinch (past the initial mechanical pinch) much longer than other engines that I have ran over the years. I have heard some people complain about it being hard to tune, but that has not been my experience. Just don't go wild on adjusting the needles, small adjustments (half hour) go a long way. And it seems that this engine gets stronger and faster the more fuel goes through it! I have been so happy with this engine that I decided to get another one for my truggy, just with a different pipe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.