Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
48t steel spur for Associated, options?? >

48t steel spur for Associated, options??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

48t steel spur for Associated, options??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 48t steel spur for Associated, options??

I don't believe Associated made one, any options out there that will work?? Other vehicles out there besides Associated that the spur will fit the Associated diff?? Or will I have to go up to a 50 tooth spur?? Any help would be appreciated

Phil
Old 07-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The standard spur for a Losi is 48t but I don't know if you can make it work in an AE car -- it uses flanged bearings. Anyone know if you can change bearings out and make it work???
Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Losi wont fit. Check if thunder tiger ever made one. Associated makes a plastic 48t.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Why are you needing a bigger spur?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Hoese37
Why are you needing a bigger spur?
This is on a SC8. It originally came with a 16t clutch bell with the 46 spur, which I don't know what they were thinking, the teeth barely even touch. Going up to a 17 tooth clutch bell, while better, it is still really loose-after a few gallons it will take out the clutch bell teeth and damage the spur also. I've replaced them both at least 3 different times with this problem over the last couple of years.

The SC8, being a cross between a buggy and truggy, uses the truggy center diff spacer(riser) so I guess this is why the extra gap and what works for gearing on a buggy doesn't work on the SC8. I could go up to a 18 tooth clutch bell(Robinson makes one) but I don't want it to lug off the corners any worse than what it does with the 17 tooth. The 17-48 combo would be perfect, I would guess the 18-50 might be alright too if it would fit, but not sure that it would with no more adjustment than the motor mounts have.

Remember, the truggy uses the 50, 52, 54 spurs(which is why I guess they use the spacer), but in combination with 13, 14,15 tooth clutch bells. The SC8 uses tires the diameter of a buggy, so you need the gearing like a buggy. The center braces also go on top of the riser so I doubt you can just throw it out, the screw holes won't line up.

I guess I just don't understand why they don't make something between a 46 and 50 spur(or somebody aftermarket). Ya, I know about the plastic 48 but have my doubts that a plastic gear could stand up to a 30 minute main in a nitro car, let alone 10 minutes without a meltdown.

I know the losi spur won't match now, close but no cigar. How about a Mugen spur(haven't looked to see if they make a 48 yet)--screw holes in the diff case are the same, what about the other parts?? Anybody know??

Thanks!!

Phil
Old 07-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maxflo777
Losi wont fit. Check if thunder tiger ever made one. Associated makes a plastic 48t.
I think you might be on it, I looked on AMain and it looks like the EB4 S3 buggy uses an identical design to the Associated spur (TTRPD1998). However, it's back ordered until the end of August. I'll have to do a little more hunting around.

Again if any body knows for sure on the T Tiger or a Mugen spur, let me know!!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have both the rc8 and rc8t. You can ditch the riser if itll help. The center diff mounts and front and rear braces should still fit.