Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Track design help >

Track design help

Track design help

Old 07-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Track design help

Hey guys, glad to be back to RC and lucky enough to time it with the local club moving to fresh and larger site. Thought I'd ask on here t see what designs or must haves ye would look for in a track. Budgets essentially nil as the clubs quite small so think its best to let out any fancy multi surface type ideas
Only idea put forward so far is something that has both a nice fast/medium section and a nice technical section.
site is 240 feet by 160 feet, rostrum has to be on the 160 foot length due to the sun. Also knocking about the idea of putting the rostrum in the centre and doing two tracks either side.
Looking forward to hearing ye're ideas
Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Hideeho
When you start doing layouts, down load the free program sketchup. It is a free 3d cad program. It is pretty simple to use if you fairly computer savvy. We had problems on the last few layouts with people doing a drawing freehand & it no fitting once we started actually laying it out. I started by setting up a recangle of the propper dimensions & use the tape measure function to set out a grid that is the minimum width I want a lane to be. I save this as a base to start any track design on. Now, any time I get an idea for a track feature I can do a new layout. I also use the fill function to make it easier to identify track features (when you connect lines, make sure you connect them on endpoints so the fill works right).
Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah I've been playing about with Sketch Up 8. Hot used to it by doing a rough copy of existing track, just finished my first attempt at actual proper layout but can't post link on here yet as my post counts too lol
Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AE Irish
Yeah I've been playing about with Sketch Up 8. Hot used to it by doing a rough copy of existing track, just finished my first attempt at actual proper layout but can't post link on here yet as my post counts too lol
Hideeho
It looks good!
How did you get curved jumps? I have figured out how to make my maps 3d, but only with angles it's good enough to get the idea across, but having nothing but angles on the jumps annoys me

How familiar are you with actually building tracks? I, & everyone at my track who actually helps, don't know a whole lot. I'm having a tough time figuring out when to use a flat faced jump, or a rounded jump, or a jump with a lip. It got screwed up on our last layout change when we had 2 different people over 2 separate days building a 5 jump complex. We ended up with a flat, lip, lip, round, round with the 1st being slightly (2 inches) shorter than #2 & #3 then 4 & 5 being progressively slightly shorter. It is doable, but I'm guessing it should have been lip on 1, next 4 being rounded & each slightly shorter or the same size. Any help from any one would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 AM
Tech Rookie

The curved jumps are simple enough, do your normal boxy ramp and add curves into or out of it depending on the shape you want on a side edge, then use the push/pull tool, nice quick and simple. The other way I found was draw one side using the curve tool, copy and paste to where you want and use sandbox to join.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Been years since I'd anything to do with a track layout and there's no guarantee what I come up with will get used
The flat vs lip vs round I need to do some home work on again. But as best I remember flat gives a neutral launch unless is a short ramp which doesn't give the car any room to settle suspension, lip adds lift/height and round long and low, again all kinda relative to size of jump. I could be miles out on this just to warn you lol
What do ye use for the jumps? Pure dirt or dirt with some cement to hold shape or do you use wood or the like?