NOOB ALERT: Hpi Firestorm 10t wheels

Old 07-17-2013, 04:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default NOOB ALERT: Hpi Firestorm 10t wheels

Hi, I am new to Rc nitro cars, just looking for a bit of advice:
From what I can read the wheels that are on my HPI firestorm 10t
Are 55x50mm 12mm hex nuts, I'm looking at wheels online
And I don't understand if any other wheels will, if there bigger/smaller
But there still 12mm fitting would they still fit?
Any advice appreciated thanks for having me on the forum
Im looking to staying.

Paul
Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

They will fit if they are a 12mm hex but the wheel offset & diameter can cause other issues. If the offset is more to the inside of the wheel then there is a chance you could have clearance problems & the inner edge of the rim/tire could contact the body, suspension arm or shocks etc.
A larger diameter rim/tire combo will have an effect on the gearing, in effect giving the car higher gearing & a higher top speed, but before you think good, more speed, remember that you will loose low down performance, acceleration will drop off & the motor will have to work harder to get the car/truck moving which can cause more heat build up & wear.
Going to a bigger diameter wheel/tire would really require changing the gearing to suit, maybe a tooth or two less on the pinion gear. Smaller diameter wheels/tires will have the opposite effect.
If the size difference between aftermarket wheels/tires is only slightly more than the standard wheels/tires then it might be ok but if its more than a few mm's then a gearing change will most likely be needed.