Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
getting the boy his first Nirto. Idea's? >

getting the boy his first Nirto. Idea's?

getting the boy his first Nirto. Idea's?

Old 07-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default getting the boy his first Nirto. Idea's?

My son's been playing with my Tmaxx and my HPI mt2 and he really enjoys it. I've decided that I would like to get him his first car. There are a lot of options out there and im looking into something less expensive than a Tmaxx Or Savage. So far the cars Ive looked at are

HPI Bullet
HPI Firestorm
Traxxas Rustler
XTM X-cellerator

This is will actually be for Christmas but Im trying to plan ahead as its kinda a tough one this year so I am putting back for it now. Any other cars I should look at. Thanks for all the opinions
-Will

Oh, He wants nitro and not an electric
Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Get a used losi 8ight 2.0 your looking at about 350$ used. New that car would cost $700. The car is basically unbreakable Idont care what you do. One of the top cars in this hobby
Old 07-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Traxxas revo if you just wanna play, losi rtr if you might possibly race later
Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
Traxxas revo if you just wanna play, losi rtr if you might possibly race later
The Duratrax 835B RTR isn't a bad option for entry level 1/8th nitro either. The Losi comes with a good Spektrum radio, and a starter box, but it's also $700 new.

The 835B has a lesser radio, and is pull start, but it's half the cost. Even figuring in the extra cost of a starter box (not an absolute necessity, but it makes starting MUCH easier), you'd still be less than the Eight 2.0 RTR.

The Losi will give better parts support at local shops than the Duratrax, and more options for upgrading later on, but you pay more up front. Honestly though, if your son really enjoys racing, let him cut his teeth with this buggy, then buy a race roller, or kit later on. Trying to upgrade an RTR is more expensive in the long run....
Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

awesome, I LOVED my first nirto, it was so cool!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

I agree with the one poster. Get a 2nd hand proper car, like a Losi 2.0 or a Mugen MBX6 or something like that.
If you get a RTR with a pullstart, you'll get a difficult engine to tune and all that, and that's just going to turn the kid off the hobby alltogether.

Get a proper car with a proper engine that's easy to tune and will run stable. There are brand new engines that can be had "cheap" ish, like P5XLT nova or XR-B OS.

Then you won't have to buy twice. Buy right, buy once. My 5c.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Eivind E
I agree with the one poster. Get a 2nd hand proper car, like a Losi 2.0 or a Mugen MBX6 or something like that.
If you get a RTR with a pullstart, you'll get a difficult engine to tune and all that, and that's just going to turn the kid off the hobby alltogether.

Get a proper car with a proper engine that's easy to tune and will run stable. There are brand new engines that can be had "cheap" ish, like P5XLT nova or XR-B OS.

Then you won't have to buy twice. Buy right, buy once. My 5c.
Having bought several used rigs, I can honestly say it's more hassle than it's worth. Unless you know the person you're buying from, and have extensive knowledge of how the car was maintained, it's a big headache. After you finish rebuilding it, fixing anything that's broken, and getting it set up for your son, it's not that much of a savings.

I know you said money is an issue, but buying a good kit from the start really is the way to go. Spend the money on the kit and engine (the "big 3" brands - Losi, Mugen, or Team Associated, so you have good parts support and setup help). You can get a very good basic engine and pipe for about $300 (Novarossi N21B is a good little motor to start with).

Definitely buy the kit and engine new. You can buy used electronics for a nitro with much less risk than with e-buggies. Get some decent used steering and throttle servos, a nice 2.4 GHz radio system, and a starter box from the for sale section, and you're good to go.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Well like everything, buyer beware. You need to carefully inspect what you're buying and check it, to see that it's not spent.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I played with these cars for years now and having bought many new and used I will not be buying a used one for his first rig. I was really leaning on a RTR and something a fairly simple to operate and maintain for him to learn with. Kinda where my list of cars came from. There are no real tracks around us so We'll be playin on my little homemade track at the house.
How Durable has the Duratrax RTR buggy proven to be because it is in my price range and do they make a Roto-start conversion for it?

Last edited by Lomax1; 07-12-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

I would suggest looking for something local that you can try out first hand. I recently bought a new setup and then bought some used setups. I paid half of the cost of the new one and got a better setup.

If you look you can get RC10GT for pretty cheap. I know its a older setup but they are cheap to maintain and a complete blast to play with.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Probably one of the most decent offerings on the RTR front is the JQ RTR package.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My first car was an RC10GT that I bought used...had to tinker with it a bit to get it running, but after that it was golden. They are cheap, you can still get parts for them, and they are SO easy to work on.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Tech Rookie

I've had an RC10GT before, pretty good little cars. Wanted to get him something new though
Old 07-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default LHS

Whatever you get, I'd buy local if possible. It's worth paying a little more if the shop has good customer service.

The Duratrax mentioned above is one I've been reading a thread on. Everyone seems to like it and the user friendly engine is mentioned several times. There is a starter box that is sold in the $50 range by Hobby King that is an OFNA truggy box clone. I've seen it at the local track and it looks like my OFNA box and works just as well. If your local shop will order the car in and match Tower, it might be a good option.

If you go 2WD, keep in mind the kind of surfaces he likes to drive on. Those small 1/10 tires may not cut it. I'd go with one that has monster truck tires, or at least one you can buy monster tires for.

Sites like Tower and Amainhobbies are good recourses to see what's available.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

I have been watching the JQ the car video and that is one awesome setup. I am already plotting on how I can add it to my collection. I wonder how it compares to the 8ight 2.0?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.