Wiki Posts
Search

8ight 2.0 front outdrive cup issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 8ight 2.0 front outdrive cup issues

It seems as though my front Dog bone likes to pop out while the car is in the air, or when the suspension is unloaded. For example...I pick the car up and give it some heavy throttle, the dog bone pops out. It's almost like the dogbone is too short, or I have too much droop....although I'm sure neither is the case.

The only thing that really makes sense is that I have aluminum front spindles, and it seems that the spindle bearings can sort of slop in and out. For instance, I can grab the wheel and pull, and push in and out, making the dogbone almost come out, then with some throttle, it can pop out.

I've head a few people bitching about these issues with the 8ights. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about putting a washer between the hub and spindle to sort of keep the bearing in place.

Any suggestion!?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default .............

Originally Posted by solidsnake83
It seems as though my front Dog bone likes to pop out while the car is in the air, or when the suspension is unloaded. For example...I pick the car up and give it some heavy throttle, the dog bone pops out. It's almost like the dogbone is too short, or I have too much droop....although I'm sure neither is the case.

The only thing that really makes sense is that I have aluminum front spindles, and it seems that the spindle bearings can sort of slop in and out. For instance, I can grab the wheel and pull, and push in and out, making the dogbone almost come out, then with some throttle, it can pop out.

I've head a few people bitching about these issues with the 8ights. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about putting a washer between the hub and spindle to sort of keep the bearing in place.

Any suggestion!?
Less droop is what most people are doing. I have never had the issue though.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Sounds like your car needs some parts replaced.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

You have to run pretty minimal droop or they will pop out, something that's been fixed on the 3.0
if you have slop at the wheel bearing, shim it on the inside of the inside bearings, this will push the pins further into the cups and fix any problem you have introduced with the aluminium spindles. you obviously need to shim if you have slop, or your bearings need replacing?
the problem is caused by the driveshaft and suspension arm not being parallel, and is one of the things they changed on the 3.0. If you have the adjustable hinge pin holders and they have one or more inserts in the down position, it makes it worse
Old 06-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

are you trying to run alum hubs with plastic spindles
Old 06-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have all new bearings. I'll try throwing some shims on. I've heard of more people that just myself having these issues. Just wanted to know if anyone came up with a good fix.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Most likely a result of droop. As you lessen your droop, you will see the dogbone end slide further into the outdrive.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Did you check for a bent hinge pin? That was the only time I had a driveshaft pop out. It was also mentioned in another thread (I think it was the 2.0 EU thread) about using another brand of outdrive, ie serpent
Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It is in the droop or you have something bent like the previous post a possible hinge pin. When you say you can pull on the wheel and it moves, have you looked to see what the gap is between the wheel nut and the bearing? I have the aluminum front spindles and never had an issue. All wheels seem to move a bit back and forth, but look at wheel nut and see how much of a gap you have, there shouldn't be much of a gap.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

JQ outdrives and a couple of shims and you are done with that problem forever.

Originally Posted by BillyT.
y
I put the JQ outdrives on my car last Thrusday. The pin is .5 mil closer to the end, you so need a 6 x .5 mil shim between the outside of the bearing and the out drive. But aside from that, they are perfect.
Wrote this the right after I did it. The JQ outdrives are only 10-11 bucks too. Not sure what the shims were from, we just had them at the shop. 6 mm ID, .5 mm thick.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had the exact same problem with my 8T.

The outdrives are not the problem, the issue is the CV shaft is too short.

For some reason losi released a batch of cv drive shafts that were 2mm shorter. And that's all it takes, 2mm shorter and the shafts pop out the drive cups when the front suspension is extended.

The front and rear shafts should be the same length, compare them, you will find that the shaft that keeps popping out I'd a tiny bit shorter.

Get some new cv shafts and your problem will be solved.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

I had same problem when I take off the droop screws of the EU kit to have enough front droop. I solved it with serpent cobra outdrives . They are direct fit and don't need any shims.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bill8Truggy
I had the exact same problem with my 8T.

The outdrives are not the problem, the issue is the CV shaft is too short.

For some reason losi released a batch of cv drive shafts that were 2mm shorter. And that's all it takes, 2mm shorter and the shafts pop out the drive cups when the front suspension is extended.

The front and rear shafts should be the same length, compare them, you will find that the shaft that keeps popping out I'd a tiny bit shorter.

Get some new cv shafts and your problem will be solved.
On the buggy(which is where the problem is prevalent) all the shafts are the same length. Your issue is not the same that we all have with the buggy. In fact, on mine, the left side drive shaft was visibly further out in the out drive than the right side(the shafts are the same length). Why... no idea, but for some reason, it is.

Out drives are just the easiest, cheapest fix.

So on the serpent out drives, the diff pin hole is 2.5 mil from the end of the out drive, just like the losi part? The JQ shafts are only 2 from the end...

Lots of people might not notice a half mil difference...
Old 06-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks so much for all of the info. It seems like others have benefited from this topic too. All I did was gave it a little less droop. The problem seems to have corrected itself.

Have others tried the Cobra outdrives??
Old 06-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool dog bone popping out of drive cup

Hey all,
I registered to find out more info on this.
I have a Losi 8ight 2.0 EU edition and it is having the same issue where the left front driveshaft pops out of the drive cup.
Its not the droop settings, its not a bent pin. Everything is like new.
The front and rear axle shafts are the exact same length.
The rear shafts sit further in the cup than the fronts do.
The left front is the worst.

I am showing the same issues as this thread: (can't post url's yet cause i'm a newb)

I ordered new drive shafts a few days ago before I checked the other drive shaft lengths. Now that I see they're the same length, I doubt that the new ones will be any better.
I'm thinking drive cups are needed.
Can someone please provide part numbers so I can get my car back together?
Here's what it looks like on youtube

watch?v=vbEXZ4Xa9Hc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.