Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What's a good servo? >

What's a good servo?

What's a good servo?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pulse_
OP has said around 50$

But I have to agree with mxr17, a good servo costs more than 50 bucks. A savox can cause troubles with some electronics being so power hungry. It's not the most precise servos you'll find either and they're noisy. But for the price, they are hard to beat.

The 1256TG is plenty strong enough, cheap and reliable.
Thanks for your approval, last year I had a servo failure in my home track on our national championship, needless to say how pissed I was and the most raging for me is that it happened in the semi finals where I was doing good.
And once you calculate the price of 2 or 3 servos I was going through with all the risks of a dnf, paying more on a servo that will last and not let you down is for me the best way to go.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mxr17
Thanks for your approval, last year I had a servo failure in my home track on our national championship, needless to say how pissed I was and the most raging for me is that it happened in the semi finals where I was doing good.
And once you calculate the price of 2 or 3 servos I was going through with all the risks of a dnf, paying more on a servo that will last and not let you down is for me the best way to go.
If Ty Tessman can run Savox servos for an hour long main, with a 2000mah pack, i think they are fine...

I have 10 Savox 1268 servos - 4 have been run for the last 3 seaons. Ive never had glitches or power issues. Was running the Losi 8.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

Called Savox on my NEW 1256TG problem with glitching, I have never had any problem before with running any brand digital steering servos and having to run a glitch buster as far as Nitro , but Savox Tech recommended using a glitch buster, $6.00 investment and problem is fixed.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

I bought two 1256TG savox last year.
The reason I did that was because I had ran my Futaba digital servos for 4 years and I thought I should replace them before they broke mid-race.

Oh little did I know.. six months later, mid-race, I have no brakes. Wtf is this, I thought.. well into the subfinals it lost all function alltogether and just sat there jittering wildly.
So I promptly went about fitting my now almost 5 year old Futaba throttle servo.

Then about a month ago I went to a championship warmup race.. well waddyaknow.. halfway through a race, and all of a sudden my Savox steering servo will not turn left. Well, it sort of goes left, but not much.. then 5 minutes later.. no left at all. So I'm driving a right-turn-only car. Didn't finish that race. DNF.

Now I'm running my 5-year old Futaba servos in both positions, and they don't appear to be any closer to failing than they were last year.

S9350 and S9351 Futabas.
Draw your own conclusions.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Save your $$$ and buy a higher quality servo that way it wont fail on you. For 1/8 racing its very necessary. The savox servos mentioned will more than do the job it just depends on how often you want to mess with them. I have ran savox 1268's, I had one die after a few races and they were very loud on the bench.

In your price range thats prob the best ticket...
Old 06-20-2013, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had run the Savox before they came to the US in my car and was not happy about it but we had to test these things as good gesture for a friend company, the ones I got were analog and were loud, they also looked funny back then. But they ran for over a year with no issues, then finally my dopey self screwed into the wires then POOF done servos. I was bummed when they went because they were still not here in the US, but when they came I was purchasing them from Nitrohouse and was using 1257s and 1258s. they were great with no issues on a Li-Fe pack recvr, they lasted a very long time and only manged to break one with a fellow driver goofing off in a race, so since then I have moved over to 1268s and still have my others as back ups or in my SC. My X3 electrice did however glitch and I found the problem without a Buster, it was a DSM sport recvr rather then a Pro recvr for my Spektrum radio, for some reason they need to work with a high responce transit time, once I made the changed no issuses. My sc has a 1257 and only glitched when I used an MMP esc, but I switched over to an Orion esc and no problems.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys for all the recommendations!!! So now you have me looking at some higher end servos. The protek 100t and 150t look pretty good any body had any experience with those? And also I'm not really trusting the savox servos because I had one that glitched on me in the past. However I once had a futaba servo for $30 bucks and I was very pleased with it. It was very strong and was more than enough torque for bashing but not fast enough for a track. But any I Trust futaba so I'm likely to buy that over savox
Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

And also what kind of Servo specs should I be looking for if I want to drive on a track? Whats the minimum?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TLRNitroBasher
And also what kind of Servo specs should I be looking for if I want to drive on a track? Whats the minimum?
Steering servo you want a minimum of 12kg or 190oz'ish pulling power.

Well, the throttle servo you can get really away with being weak'ish, but it needs to be reliable and metal gears... myself I wouldn't want to get anything less than 100oz/7kg, but I think you could probably get away with almost half that.. but there's really no point, because a 100oz servo will be plenty cheap enough so there's no reason to go cheaper.

As for speed, anything much slower than 0.15~0.17 at 6 volts will be noticeably sluggish if you compare it to a faster servo.
Most reputable brands will be in the 0.12 - 0.16 sec range at 6 volts.

If you buy something made by JR, Futaba, Sanwa/Airtronics you're pretty much guaranteed quality.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Guys i decided to get this servo from protek its the pro tek 100t servo the specs look good at 0.14 transit speed, and 216 oz-in of torque @ 6.0V
With Full metal gears and dual ball bearings
And it's in my price range. I know it's not a high end expensive servo but I'm only a teenager I don't have job with a lot of money like most of you grown men. So I get what I can afford. Look here's the link to the servos
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tal-Gear-Servo
Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

That should work good for you. Have heard good things about protek servos and they have good customer support, so you should be good with it.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

I'm all for budget racing!
However.. http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...estions-2.html

Yours might turn out fine. I never used them so I don't know.
I'm all for doing research on things before buying though.