Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
First day with first nitro didn't go as planned. >

First day with first nitro didn't go as planned.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First day with first nitro didn't go as planned.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default First day with first nitro didn't go as planned.

Hey guys just got my first car the other day (ofna lx2) and today was my first day of taken it out.

I'm new to the cars and nitro so i was ready for some mistakes. First time the car cranked I didn't realize the throttle was wide open. The control was in neutral but the servo had it wide open. So for the first 2 seconds of its life it was reving wide open. Not a great start but luckly I was ready for anything so had a rag in my hand and the engine was off in under 2 seconds (even though it seemed like 18 minutes). So I trimmed that down so when the control was in neutral the servo would hold the throttle at neutral.

(following OFNA instructions for force .28)

Cranked it again and the idle was great. I let it run through a tank of gas and then let it cool off.

Next tank I cranked it. Let it warm up and put it on the ground and tried to give it a little gas but it died. Tried this 3 times with the same result.

So here I am now with some questions.

Are these things suppose to have brakes? If it does then its almost like my brakes are on when i'm trying to go causing the engine to die.

I push the trigger forward and still push the car but it will not go when i try and drive it. What the heck is going on?

Also my control has a fail safe and the book says press this button and you should see a red light. I see it and then thats it. Is it set?

Also how bad was my 2 second full throttle run?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

With new engines its a good idea to idle first 2 tanks of fuel. 3rd and 4th tanks you can start adding a little throttle. Your motor should have high and low end needle adjustments. On the 5 tanks, you can start leaning out the high end needle little by little.
When adjusting the needles picture it as a clock and make fine adjustments 1 hour at a time. You shouldn't have to lean it too much to get proper performance. Just make sure exhaust continues to blow a bluefish smoke and your good.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Read this. A lot of good bits.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...eak-bible.html
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GaRCman81
Hey guys just got my first car the other day (ofna lx2) and today was my first day of taken it out.

I'm new to the cars and nitro so i was ready for some mistakes. First time the car cranked I didn't realize the throttle was wide open. The control was in neutral but the servo had it wide open. So for the first 2 seconds of its life it was reving wide open. Not a great start but luckly I was ready for anything so had a rag in my hand and the engine was off in under 2 seconds (even though it seemed like 18 minutes). So I trimmed that down so when the control was in neutral the servo would hold the throttle at neutral.

(following OFNA instructions for force .28)

Cranked it again and the idle was great. I let it run through a tank of gas and then let it cool off.

Next tank I cranked it. Let it warm up and put it on the ground and tried to give it a little gas but it died. Tried this 3 times with the same result.

So here I am now with some questions.

Are these things suppose to have brakes? If it does then its almost like my brakes are on when i'm trying to go causing the engine to die.

I push the trigger forward and still push the car but it will not go when i try and drive it. What the heck is going on?

Also my control has a fail safe and the book says press this button and you should see a red light. I see it and then thats it. Is it set?

Also how bad was my 2 second full throttle run?
I highly doubt you hurt it. It is probably set very rich, which is why it dies on you. Read the engine tuning bible on the nitro engine forum.
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

sounds like your engine is really rich meaning you need to lean the needles out.pobably have to lean both needles.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Awsome guys thanks for the quick replies.

I'll let it idle another tank tommorow morning before I take it out and then i'll lean it out some to see if I can get it to go.

So about the brakes. I feel dumb for even asking but does my car have them or is it more like an engine brake?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

You have brakes. Look at the throttle servo. It will have linkages from two ends, one controls the throttle, the other controls the brake
Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok I think i have it all adjusted now so the brakes work. Not sure what I was doing wrong at first.

Good thing I didn't have it on the ground the first time I cranked it. Would of went right into my fence.

I'm curious about the batteries. If the battery died in the car would the car continue to run?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Yes if you don't have a throttle return spring. You might get lucky if the batteries go and it's at neutral.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dang I have been through this before when I first started. I actually mushroomed a whole clutch and locked it up because I thought you had to hold the trigger down while the car faces a wall. Boy was I wrong.

This is all normal stuff and you are going to have go through many things that will get you frustrated. When you finally get it going that sound screaming down the street pissing your neighbors off will bring a big smile.

I would highly recommend getting a friend involved that has experience. If you dont know one its very easy to meet people who know what to do and are more than willing to help you.

Take that thing to the track and people will help you.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Tech Rookie

So today was a good news bad news day. Good news is the car is running pretty good. It straight hauls tail. Tons of fun but i under estimated how much gas this little thing drinks.

It seem to be running a little hot but i'm not sure if i was measuring at the right distance or right spot. I was measuring at the top center right around .5-1 inch above the engine. The manual said not to let it get over 260 but it got hotter then that a few times. Is 260 realistic? I was just stopping it and letting it rest for a minute.

Badnews. I've been working on a more delicate touch with this small machine but today I managed to pull the cord out. Well its still attached but it will not retract back into the housing.

Is this something I would need to replace or is this something I can open up and fix?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Badnews. I've been working on a more delicate touch with this small machine but today I managed to pull the cord out. Well its still attached but it will not retract back into the housing.

Is this something I would need to replace or is this something I can open up and fix?

You can open them and sometimes get them put back together but it is a pain. Just get a new pull starter and call it a day.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dishsoap
Dang I have been through this before when I first started. I actually mushroomed a whole clutch and locked it up because I thought you had to hold the trigger down while the car faces a wall. Boy was I wrong.
How on earth did you come up with that idea?

So today was a good news bad news day. Good news is the car is running pretty good. It straight hauls tail. Tons of fun but i under estimated how much gas this little thing drinks.

It seem to be running a little hot but i'm not sure if i was measuring at the right distance or right spot. I was measuring at the top center right around .5-1 inch above the engine. The manual said not to let it get over 260 but it got hotter then that a few times. Is 260 realistic? I was just stopping it and letting it rest for a minute.

Do you have a temp gun? If so measure as close to the glow plug as possible. You might be able to take the pull starter apart to fix it, but it will probably just be easier to replace the whole thing. I would get a new one, and take the old one apart to see if you can fix it. If you can fix it, you'll have the new one as a back up. If you can't fix it, just install the new pull starter. Remember it isn't a lawn mower, it doesn't take much.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 AM
Tech Addict

Very often when a pullstart get stuck when pulling it too far out, you can just knock on the pullstart housing to get it back in. Did that a lot with customers cars when I ran an RC shop. Use the head of a screwdriver or a small hammer or similar.

Opening and rewinding a pullstart is not recommended for first timers.

However, if you have to open it, make sure you use the blade of a knife or something similar to hold the internals of the pullstart in place when you pull it of the engine. Some pullstarts are held together internally in some way, others are not...
Old 05-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Rookie

@ifuonlyknew- yes i have a cheap little heat gun. Looks like I was measuring at the right spot.

@oleC- Thanks for the tip I'll try tapping on it and see if it will retract.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.