Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

I choose my motors not based off run time. Since I pay full price for my engines, I look for a durable engine that starts, easy to tune and consistent. Though there are cheaper engines, through my experience, Ive spent more money on cheap engines that just wear out quick. There are a few cheaper engines that hold up very well. IMO nothing can beat the Novarossi P5 in value per dollar. I have 6 gallons and that bad boy just fires up....
Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
For a new guy? Not much.

People who are super serious into racing will want an OS Speed or something similarly expensive because they get 28 seconds more run-time, or some other engine which has a particularly "linear" powerband..

But honestly, there are 30+ excellent buggy engines to choose from. And as stated, the guy with experience who knows what he's doing can get great performance, run time and longevity out of a $200 engine, and there are guys who will screw up an OS Speed within two gallons.

A lot of it is just senseless blind fanboy-ism too - no doubt about it. The buggy market is FULL of good engine options.., and they don't have to cost a fortune.. Only at the super high levels is it really worthwhile to consider a Speed maybe.. Afaic anyway.
Fortunately, our LHS owner isn't looking to capitalize on our ignorance. He STRONGLY urged myself, and several others to go with the Novarossi P5XLT ($210 everywhere, but can be found for less). Mike, you can do it right the first time without dropping a ton of coin.

I found a brand new Losi 2.0 buggy on eBay for a great price, and dropped $270 on a motor (Tuned Novarossi 21-4 because I'm hardheaded). I'm running servos that I've had laying around, and got a deal on a starter box. If you search, haggle, and/or exhibit a little bit of patience, you can get a race ready package for ~$500 or less if you don't HAVE to have the latest and greatest. I'm having a blast for less than most new model kits cost.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

When I was a beginner he stuff I needed to learn I went online and watched some races at my local track and asked racers questions That would be something to do to learn
Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (82%+)
Cool ?

ok bro im gonna say this , to me right now the best motors for my dollar are ALPHA . I have 2 A852's and 1 A872 and bro they are off the hook! I have been thru damn near every motor company and their top motors and to me ALPHA is the motor right now . Check them out and do some research , you will not be more happy bro.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MikeTinCT
This is all great advice and I really appreciate it!

Another question I have and it's probably self explanatory but I'm going to ask it anyway. I look online at, lets say motors since its usually a hot topic, what are the main differences the 500-600 dollar motor has vs the 150-200...Is it a brand name? Materials used? Power they output? How long they will last?

Isn't the usual nitro motor a .21? (for buggies anyway)

How long do these motors usually last? (I see people saying they put a few gallons through it and the motor is no good anymore...
I prefer a regular racing engine. Usually around $300. With the proper pipe for that engine. For me that's the OS 21XZ ($275) and a OS 2090 pipe ($$).

I'm after reliability and fuel economy with decent speed. Race engines with hot turbo plugs are easy for me to tune. I find the OS's to be the easiest to tune and break in properly.

Expensive engines like the OS Speed offer nothing for the club racer back in the B main. Cheap engines, like the 3 port Novarossi N21b. I had use lame sport plugs and are generally disappointing (for me) to tune.

We're only running lame 15min mains at my local track (1 stop easy) so I'm considering putting a 7 port Fusion in my car.

I'll recommend the OS21Xz, Novarossi +4, or the Fusion 5 port.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the great feedback and advice. Looks like I need to get my kester to the track and start asking around and seeing what people are running.

Top Shotta - Def need to hit up the local guys as they are def. all knowledgable. I keep forgetting we have the benefit of a great local guy who's honest and know's his stuff. Tough during the week though...i'll make the extra effort to get out there though.

This past sunday was a real eye opener at the fun that can be had. Used to always go to the race track when I was younger for motorcross...felt the same...tents, smell of fuel...and just the atmosphere.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not an expert but last year buy a werks b2, and let me tell you is the best upgrade i can do to my rtr car, holds the tune for weeks, and at the track i'm side by side with novas, rb, and reedy engines, and my car is faster, everybody is asking about my engine at the end of the race and they are very mad to my 169 usd engine haha