What buggy to start

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What buggy to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Savox 1256tg for steering & 1258tg for throttle is fine for 1/8 nitro & they will work fine with a LiFe 6.6v battery pack & have a little more speed & torque than they do with a 6v Nmh pack.
The 1258tg is over 13kg & the 1256tg around 20kg & easily fast enough for 1/8.
They've been used for years & done the job fine but everyone thinks they need as muck torque as possible & the fastest speeds they can get but unless your racing at the very top level then its not really necessary, just overkill for most people & LiPo batteries, while good, can also more dangerous with catching fire or packs expanding because they got to hot.
If watched & looked after properly then most of the time they are ok but there's always that chance they could burn. Have seen a few pics of burnt houses, sheds & cars caused by LiPo packs.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

If the $1200 is the MX you have, I wouldn't do it. I think if you want to race, you will need some tuning options and parts such as:
- Various weight shock and diff oils
- Various shock spring and piston options
- Tires, alllllllllllways need tires
- A few spares such as arms, and uprights
- Air filters
- A few tools, ride-height guage, hexes, good drivers

Those items may add to a few hundy, but will vastly improve your enjoyment of racing.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cmtomlinson
i have been researching and i have indeed blown up my budget to 1240 dollars and i am looking into the....

Mugen mbx6r roller. Novarossi S21P5XLT .21 5 Port Off Road Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug), with the Novarossi EFRA 2096 Off Road Super Strong Tuned Pipe Set w/Short Smooth Flow Manifold. Airtronics MX-3X 2.4GHz FHSS-3 Competition Pistol Grip Radio w/92744 Receiver. Savox SC-1258TG,with the SC-1256TG Standard Digital Titanium Gear Servo's, and the Novak Glitch Buster Receiver Capacitor. OFNA 1/8 And 1/10 Off Road Starter Box but still need to find batteries. any objections from the pro's???? am i about to commit credit card suicide????? please let me know what you think...
I'm no Mugen fan anymore.

If you swap the Savox servos for Hitec 7955's you won't need the Novak Glitch Buster, especially with an Airtronics. Is that Reciever the same Rx used with the M11x? If it is, then go for it.

The Ofna truggy box is far superior to the other Ofna boxes, especially with a 4s1p 4000mah lipo!

Turnigy batteries are usually my choice form HobbyKing.com. I also like the Turnigy chargers.

Hobbyking has some decent tools as well. But for drivers all you really need is 5/64, 3/32, 1/16, .050, 1.5mm and then a set of cheapo L allen drivers from Harbor Freight for the rest.

Don't forget a Comp Heater.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

With a limited budget you want to look for sales like “getting out of nitro”. The link below has some good quality stuff, OFNA blue truggy starter box, Savox servos, etc. Do your homework and learn to identify components that are reputable. Always ask your local sponsored drivers.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...itro-sale.html

Avoid sales where someone has invested too much such as the one below. Some accessories are for the bling factor and don’t add to the race factor. Look online for pro setup sheets and see what mods and/or accessories they are using. Over time, I added accessories per Maifield’s Off Road Nationals setup sheet to my RC8.2 buggies. Titanium screws and turnbuckles are for bling.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...s-angeles.html

I got started in nitro last year with a similar sale like this one but mine included a Reedy engine and pipe for $350. Prior to my purchase I did my research and talked to my local AE pro. When I came across a sale for an RC8.2 with an engine with less than a gallon and a pipe for $350 I knew it was a buy decision immediately.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...us-extras.html

As a rule of thumb I only pay ½ AMain prices for used stuff and when I sell used stuff I know I’m only going to get about ½ retail price. Buyers beware when purchasing used electronics, engines, and motors. You don’t know the condition of the components or the maintenance routine. With used engines, you don’t know that they were properly broken in.

Ask questions. There were a lot of good suggestions on this thread.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the comments i have decided to go the longer route and went with the MBX7 and have added what i can to build the kit i will come back to electronics when i am nearer the time of completion this might of gone against a lot of advice but at least i will have new parts from the beginning and will get to learn the cars mechanics aswell
Old 05-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Tech Rookie

with the glitch buster how will i instal it with a 3 channel receiver, with the personal transponder?? i ended up going for the Futaba 3PL 2.4GHz FHSS Radio System w/R2004GF Receiver, and the savox
Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

You don't need the glitchbuster. You are running a good FHSS system in a nitro car. Completely unnecessary. Just run the servos you got and you will be fine. I have not had a glitch since I got a good Airtronics system. The Futaba are rock solid as well.