Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Xray XB9 13 vs Losi 8IGHT 3.0 >

Xray XB9 13 vs Losi 8IGHT 3.0

Xray XB9 13 vs Losi 8IGHT 3.0

Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Haha agreed (I am to blame as well). Lets just wait until the 3 comes to us mere mortals and then compare.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Regardless of what car you drive it will wear and start to have slop in various parts, as a long time losi driver I know slop is not a bad thing with our car because the car becomes easier to drive and you begin to be able to drive it harder and get away with more. For me that is an awesome bonus. I came from driving the tamiya 801 buggy and that car was only good when it was brand new, after 2 gallons it was the worst handling buggy iv ever owned and rebuilds didn't do anything to help. Losi is the best for me, to rebuild diffs shocks and to check all bearings it takes me 2 hours and that's taking my times going threw everything and having the buggy completely apart. Iv grown to know my losis like I know myself and I will never change brands.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
I would pick the losi hands down. Trust me when I say this the losi is so much easier to work on n learn then the X-ray.
I used to swear by losi wouldn't even try an Xray out, but finally I tried a friends xray and I was hooked. They are easier to work on than a Losi, I know this because I have had both. I have not had the 3.0 but the 2.0 and the xray xb9 2012 was a better car, I already upgraded my car to the 2013 and it is a whole different animal than the 2012 car. I feel much better driving it than the Losi. I always had steering issues with the Losi, I could not get it to turn like I wanted, but with the xb9 it is just smoother in the turns and my lap times have come up on each track I have tested at by at least .5 seconds that might not be much but in a 1 hour main that adds up to a few more places higher and closer to the podium. It feels much more consistent through out the run I always started great with my Losi but as the race goes on it seems to fade a bit and is not as consistent as the XB9 is. Just my experience, and as I said I have not tried the Losi as they might have got many of the problems that I had fixed, but too late for them as I tried Xray and were sold hands down.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiPRRACER
AE shouldnt be above kyosho lol... i've owned both... more real of a list
Xray
Mugen

KYOSHO

JQ

HOTBODIES
Associated
Agama

Losi
You've owned both and I build both. I have gone through this all the time. There are very few parts on an associated that have to be kept up with in order to keep the car very tight. This isn't possible on a Kyosho. Like I said before, the amount of slop a car develops does not determine whether a car is better or not, it's just how I see it. And as for the kyosho wear rate, the parts I care about which is suspension and steering mostly, the associated has much, MUCH, less slop than a kyosho. But then again the drivetrain is slightly better in a kyosho.

Just keep in mind this is MY list from MY experience building (most) the cars, or experience from others that I trust and maintain their cars as well as I do.

Originally Posted by JoePit
Sean that list is insane.

Quite a few of those cars replace parts due to breakage. The plastics don't have time to wear.
That is true Joe, I'm not saying the Losi isn't durable, I'm just saying that is wears out far more quickly than any other car. But that does suit some people's driving style. I'm not trying to say it's a bad thing for everyone, but for me, I will never own a losi again due to my experiences, I cannot stand a car that wears out that quickly.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Default losi v xray

I have recently bought a Losi after last owning one 3 years ago the EU was out but i had the roller 2.0. The quality had alot to answer for and i moved onto other brands however i decided to give the 3.0 a chance.

I owned an Xray 2012 as well here are some of my observations:
The plastic was good quality however the turnbuckles where impossible to adjust as they where held to tightly
The screws and hinge pins where skinny and felt to thin im not saying they'll break but the proportions didnt feel right this goes for the screws as well to small and quite prone to sripping due to a combination of tight plastics and the screw's being to small.
The shocks where ok but again the bodies seemed to be to thin but they where decent quality the pistons where not machine milled and didnt fit precisely
which caused major bottoming out.
Im not saying its a bad car i just didnt like the looks and the day to day matainance was a pain.

Losi 3.0
This was a plesant suprise all of the plastics have been revised (remember i last owned a losi in 2010) they are strong very ridged and not the old soft resine type plastic.
The quality of the Alloy's and screws are excellent it goes together really well
The shocks are definately the best in class they are completely revised they look and feel way better than anything else about buttery soft with precsion milled shockpistons and milled shock body guides the springs have a new look and feel as well. The only dissapointment is they havent revised the shockboots.

I also have an MBX7 which is also excellent it will be really interesting to see if the Losi can be as durable? will let you know.

Buy the Losi over the Xray
Old 05-05-2013, 03:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by locum74
I have recently bought a Losi after last owning one 3 years ago the EU was out but i had the roller 2.0. The quality had alot to answer for and i moved onto other brands however i decided to give the 3.0 a chance.

I owned an Xray 2012 as well here are some of my observations:
The plastic was good quality however the turnbuckles where impossible to adjust as they where held to tightly
The screws and hinge pins where skinny and felt to thin im not saying they'll break but the proportions didnt feel right this goes for the screws as well to small and quite prone to sripping due to a combination of tight plastics and the screw's being to small.
The shocks where ok but again the bodies seemed to be to thin but they where decent quality the pistons where not machine milled and didnt fit precisely
which caused major bottoming out.
Im not saying its a bad car i just didnt like the looks and the day to day matainance was a pain.

Losi 3.0
This was a plesant suprise all of the plastics have been revised (remember i last owned a losi in 2010) they are strong very ridged and not the old soft resine type plastic.
The quality of the Alloy's and screws are excellent it goes together really well
The shocks are definately the best in class they are completely revised they look and feel way better than anything else about buttery soft with precsion milled shockpistons and milled shock body guides the springs have a new look and feel as well. The only dissapointment is they havent revised the shockboots.

I also have an MBX7 which is also excellent it will be really interesting to see if the Losi can be as durable? will let you know.

Buy the Losi over the Xray
True true, I've only owned a 8T2.0 and did buy and build the 3.0 and really noticed the difference in the plastic as well.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Losi sucks:

Builds slop faster than any car I know, over engineered, steering rack locks up, brakes lock up with minimal wear, shock shafts wear like crazy. You have to remove the entire bulk head to remove the diff, rear diff strips with time. Very unpridictable to drive, feels like a 2wd 1/10. When it jumps and flys through the air it tends to twist for no reason..............

X-ray very good but not the best.

Great suspension, fit and finish are excellent, drives great. Everything is good except for Mr. Hudy, he has to change the car every six month. And not just basic rolling changes. I jumped ship for that reason.

My list from best to worst:

Mugen
X-ray
Kyosho
Associated
Losi
Old 05-05-2013, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

These threads are totally useless.Everyone has there opinion depending on which companies sack there swinging from.In all reality all modern cars are more than capable of winning races on any level if the driver takes the time to get the setup to his or her liking.Some cars do wear faster than others but slop in an offroad car is not a bad thing most of the time.The best car for any one given person is the car that you can get good local support for.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xxxntwv
These threads are totally useless.Everyone has there opinion depending on which companies sack there swinging from.In all reality all modern cars are more than capable of winning races on any level if the driver takes the time to get the setup to his or her liking.Some cars do wear faster than others but slop in an offroad car is not a bad thing most of the time.The best car for any one given person is the car that you can get good local support for.
Sounds like you've never owned a losi buggy. Lol
Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by arm2storm
Losi sucks:

Builds slop faster than any car I know, over engineered, steering rack locks up, brakes lock up with minimal wear, shock shafts wear like crazy. You have to remove the entire bulk head to remove the diff, rear diff strips with time. Very unpridictable to drive, feels like a 2wd 1/10. When it jumps and flys through the air it tends to twist for no reason..............

Everything you said about the Losi is 100% true when discussing the old car except for the jumping thing. I drove the 2.0 for an entire year well over 20 gallons and I never had that problem. It sounds like your shocks were unbalanced. Every one of the problems you mentioned has been corrected on the 3.0 except the diff removal. It is still a pain in the ass.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Sounds like you've never owned a losi buggy. Lol
The Losi buggy is the current European champion and has won every title that exists in the United States. The fact that you couldn't win with it just means that either you can't drive or the car didn't fit your driving style. Don't brand hate. It makes you look petty and silly.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matthew Bailey
The Losi buggy is the current European champion and has won every title that exists in the United States. The fact that you couldn't win with it just means that either you can't drive or the car didn't fit your driving style. Don't brand hate. It makes you look petty and silly.
I am pretty silly, lol. I've driven other peoples Losi besides mine and they all twist in the air at one point, why, I don't know. To be honest the car didn't fit my driving style. Went back to kyosho and mugen. I don't hate just share my opinion. If it offends you because you drive a losi.... you need to grow thicker skin.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matthew Bailey
Everything you said about the Losi is 100% true when discussing the old car except for the jumping thing. I drove the 2.0 for an entire year well over 20 gallons and I never had that problem. It sounds like your shocks were unbalanced. Every one of the problems you mentioned has been corrected on the 3.0 except the diff removal. It is still a pain in the ass.

Thanks for agreeing with me, I seriously doubt they fixed those issues with the 3.0, they didn't fix the SCTE 2.0 why would they fix the 3.0 Buggy?

I hope you don't get offended cuz you drive a Losi.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

I had both the 2.0 and now the 3.0. They did fix the problems. The rear diff now includes the aluminum inserts to keep the mesh tight. I personally never had a diff go bad on me, but others who are less maintenance inclined have. I am still using the 2.0 diffs as spares and tuning options for the 3.0 and they still look fine. They do require that you reshim them occasionally, but it takes about 2 seconds to check when you change the diff oil (of course if you don't change the oil you won't notice). The plastics are improved on the 3.0. The car is not nearly as sloppy as my 2.0 was after 4 gallons. The shockshafts and hingepins have an all new coating that still looks flawless. The steering rack now has bearings and is smooth as butter, and the rear brake disk has been machined so that it doesn't drag anymore, plus they now include springs between the calipers. The old car had a lot of issues that needed to be fixed and Losi to their credit has fixed them. The new car handles better thanks to the new steering geometry and the new chassis that has more flex, is more durable and is just a way better car than the 2.0.

The Xray is also a great car. I had the chnace to wheel one and it is pretty good. I don't like the way it drives, but that is a personal taste thing. It didn't seem to generate as much front grip as the Losi, but it was very forgiving and easy to drive. Did not fit my driving style, but a solid car none the less. I was about a second faster with my Losi, but of course I didn't have the Xray set up for me.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Losi sucks:

X-ray very good but not the best.

Great suspension, fit and finish are excellent, drives great. Everything is good except for Mr. Hudy, he has to change the car every six month. And not just basic rolling changes. I jumped ship for that reason.

Losi
That's a silly reason to jump ship. Just because they update the car every year, it deosn't mean your car majikly got slower.

They update the car every year so they can continue to provide the best car they know how to. Where other brands just keep pushing the same old obsolete car forever. It's RACING, I want the cutting edge stuff on my kit.

Look at AE for example. They know thier cars need serious updates. They'll go darn near 10 years on a kit before making real changes. Not a single one of thier drivers runs anything even remotely close to stock. The team setups from AE allways have the most goofball custom mods in them.

FYI: I'm not updating my 2012 Xray Xb9. The 2013 Xb9 is more stable by being wider. I don't need that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.