Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires: Soft, Medium or Hard compound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tires: Soft, Medium or Hard compound?

Where i'm from, we only have outdoor tracks.

And wet/dry/loose tracks mean this to me:
Wet == damp soil, due to colder temperatures in the mornings or rain. Temperatures ranging from 21degrees celcius to 25degrees celcius
Dry == soil that has been under the sun, baking at 30-33degrees celcius

My current choice of tires are narrowed down to two factors:

1) Semi wet track = AKA I-Beams Soft
2) Dry loose track = AKA Impact Soft

In the mornings on race days when the tracks are `wet'. The performance of the bug during corners and straights when using I-Beams are clearly noticeable. However, as the track dries up or gets loose in the afternoon, the bug looses traction drastically. Thats when I change to the Impacts and traction is improved immediately.

These two tires are my current recipe and works for me now. I've not tried anything else really.

But the tire wear on soft compounds are taking its toll on my wallet as I'm running soft compounds even on normal days.

Question now is, how does medium compounds and hard compounds affect traction for these two tires?
Does soft compound always mean better traction?
So in what kinda track situation will Medium and Hard compounds be best suited for?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If the tire can "dig" into the top layer of dirt, it is often times better to use a harder tire so it can 'puncture' into that top surface and act as a paddle.

The softer compound tire in the same situation will tend to fold or lay down and stay on top. Sometimes this is good, it just depends.

Any time you're getting excessive tire wear, it may be time to choose a different tread pattern or compound.

Also a harder compound will allow you to slide the car more and maintain momentum, instead of being so locked-in with a softer choice.

I'd really something you'll have to try and see how it works for you. AKA Medium can work very well in the conditions you've described; esp in the hotter temperature ranges.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Impacts work great on a damp groved track. Also work great on the groove dry..

Grooved track impact. Soft compound on cool or over cast, hot conditions meduim compound.

If your track is loose then a tire with less pin density is a better selection like crossbrace, ibeam, etc.

I select compound by temperature.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joelyeow
Question now is, how does medium compounds and hard compounds affect traction for these two tires?
Does soft compound always mean better traction?
So in what kinda track situation will Medium and Hard compounds be best suited for?
"Typically" you would want to use a soft compound when the track is soft or wet and a med/compound when the track is dry/dusty. NOTHING is going to bite in the fluff or out of the groove on a dry dusty track. I've done the opposite before with great results too. Everything can depend on your car set up, driving skills and if you can stay constantly in the groove.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great input guys! Thanks!

Will try to use the temperature as a guideline for compound selection. Will try it out and provide feedback *Thumbs up*