Search

Maintenance at Races

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Maintenance at Races

Living in SoCal, you can find good racing almost everyday, and big races almost every weekend.

Last race I was at, I sat next to a pro racer whose mechanic literally broke down his car between qualifying rounds, and virtually had a brand new car for the mains. Completely disassembled and fresh shock and diff oils, new tires freshly glued, new air filter, all bearings checked, make sure nothing is binding, the works. Nice to have a personal mechanic and sponsors

I on the other hand will have a well maintained car going into the race, but on race day, at best I will check to make sure everything is tight, clean off the tires, and may freshen up shock oil. If I'm running multiple classes, I may not even get the chance to touch my car.

Some do absolutely nothing and still win, but are also just as likely to break down in the longer main.

So how much maintenance between rounds and before the mains do you do? How much maintenance do you think is absolutely necessary? How much do you think is just to give you a mental edge?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

LOLLLLL Man that's the best topic I have seen on here in a long time,,, Me personally I do what most of us do I stare at it for about 10 Min hoping it somehow magically gains that second or two that I need or cleans itself, but basically I "Check" my shocks I put a wrench on all my suspect areas clean my tires wipe off my body then resume staring at it until my next run still hoping that this next run will be THE one!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I rip mine apart and over time you get very good and very quick at cleaning and it does not take as much time as you think. It's just nice having a new car every round and gives you more confidence. Great topic by the way !
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .rc_racer
LOLLLLL Man that's the best topic I have seen on here in a long time,,, Me personally I do what most of us do I stare at it for about 10 Min hoping it somehow magically gains that second or two that I need or cleans itself, but basically I "Check" my shocks I put a wrench on all my suspect areas clean my tires wipe off my body then resume staring at it until my next run still hoping that this next run will be THE one!!!!!!
I love your approach. Just that I skip the wiping body/tires and go buy some food instead :P. The driver needs maintenance as much as the ride :P
Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Haha

I race with my two sons. It is truly a mess keeping three nitro cars going during a race. They help with tire and body washing. And they usually marshal for me so I can get back to the pit to get to work. But my race routine is practice after practic. I clean them.change the air filters. Check and change the clutch bearings. All 3 car. Then check the set up. Tweek it as needed. Then during the heat it's normally just clean tires. Blow off cars. Check over. Then befor the main. Air filters agin. Clutch agin. Cleaning tires ect... And setup. I don't have time with 3cars to do shock oil and diff oil changes once racing starts. If something is broke I fix it. But time is my enemy. Last week I had to miss the main bc I lost a diff bearing. Didn't have time to change it. Bc had to get the other two cars ready. I see in a year I will be just wrenching and not racing but maby club stuff. .
Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I change out the air filter after quals. Check screws. Check for bent broken stuff. Ill usually scrub the car down once.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I suck with a clean or dirty car. If I have allot of time between heats ill make it all pretty. If not it gets air blasted and I wash the tires only.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

For big races. 2+ days, I only do tuning items and blow off between practice and Qual rounds. Over night after qua lies I completely go threw the car for the next days mains. Shocks diffs and all. Go into the main with a 100% solid car.

on club days, just blow er off and wipe the crud.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

clean tires, KalGard pro shine my body/wing, do my clutch bearings before the main(s), and make sure all the extra dirt is cleaned off...bigger races go through my shocks/diffs
Old 03-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Between quals I give it a quick look over and check engine bolts. Wipe the body down, blow with the compressor and in to the next qual. Before the main I check a few more areas like turnbuckles (make sure they rotate freely and screws) spin the drivetrain and look for bearings that are gone, make sure the cb bearings are good. If I'm real zealous I check camber and ride height. And always replace the Rx batt, check the cb/ spur mesh and put on a new set of tires before the main.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

for every heat : cleans those things with air compressor, check for loosens screw,
for the mains : change CB bearings, clutch shoe/spring if needed, change air filter, change rx battery, change new tyres, re shim my rear diff if needed, tweaking, eating and go to toilet.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Remove any wet clay build up, check everything that could come loose, clean up tires and CHANGE AIR FILTERS. Less air is never good.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If the shocks and diffs feel good on the track I leave them. If its good where they're at rebuilding them may throw off whatever you have that's working for you. Shock and diff oil is changed purely for tuning adjustments. During qualifying I check screws a lot, more to pass the time. I'll knock the dirt off, charge the battery, and always change the clutch bearings and air filter before the main.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For two day meetings I always used to completely strip and redo the diffs and shock. Now I just do the shocks (but only if I have a run before the final as if the ride height drops in the main it is not good). I stopped doing the diffs when I rebuilt them for a main the next day, and then it destroyed itself, so I must have built it wrong. So basically I stop the chance of me redoing it wrong, so just more the 'if it aint broke' approach.
In between runs it is generally just a check, and got to clean wheels, wing and shell! 'Presentation is part of performance' :P As it is as much about your attitude towards your car as some small setup changes

Scott
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gsnow39
I race with my two sons. It is truly a mess keeping three nitro cars going during a race. They help with tire and body washing. And they usually marshal for me so I can get back to the pit to get to work. But my race routine is practice after practic. I clean them.change the air filters. Check and change the clutch bearings. All 3 car. Then check the set up. Tweek it as needed. Then during the heat it's normally just clean tires. Blow off cars. Check over. Then befor the main. Air filters agin. Clutch agin. Cleaning tires ect... And setup. I don't have time with 3cars to do shock oil and diff oil changes once racing starts. If something is broke I fix it. But time is my enemy. Last week I had to miss the main bc I lost a diff bearing. Didn't have time to change it. Bc had to get the other two cars ready. I see in a year I will be just wrenching and not racing but maby club stuff. .
Yup, seen this plenty of times at the various tracks I go to. God bless the father/son teams out there. Actually, the team should be called Team "the son races and then watches his dad wrench like crazy trying to get ready for the next heat, and if the dad is lucky, he might get to run."

Most the time, I see the fathers in the pits, driving vicariously through their son

Originally Posted by .rc_racer
Yup, I do a lot of staring myself I think more about the lines I want to hit, and how to minimize the mistakes I just made, then I marshal, then usually pit for someone, eat and socialize, and if I have time, I get to working on my car.

And damn some of those pros that keep such a clean and organized pit space.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.