Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel Filter Cooler Pressure Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlueStreakOne
How was it proven? Not arguing just asking.
http://www.neobuggy.net/2008/07/31/4443/
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 AM
Tech Lord

The oil in the fuel is making the viscocity of the fuel and with some heat that can change a lot. Putting cold fuel into a tank it will be heated up to almost 40 degrees which does change the tuning a bit.

When the temperature does not change a lot the tuning will be more consistent which does mean you can sharpen the tuning and with that saving some fuel.

The chamber will damp out the peaks in the pressure, for sure with a full tank, and does store some pressure. That is also giving a more consistent pressure an tuning.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I understand the fact that cooler fuel improves performance. I just have not found that using an EGC results in the fuel in my tank being cooler. If and when someone documents lower fuel tank fuel temp after burning more than 1/2 a tank, I will become a believer. Until then I am convinced longer run times are the result of so many cumulative factors that it is stretching credibility to attribute such a result to one such factor in particular to the exclusion of all others. Just my opinion. And, for what it is worth, when I experimented I put my finger into the fuel in my near empty tanks and I shot it with my temp gun. I also mounted the EGC in various places including out on the front shock tower to obtain max air flow. I am not an engineer and I cannot say the conditions were always identical but it did not seem to affect my fuel temp.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

IMO in offroad the only thing a EGC is good for is giving you a solid way to mount your fuel line...... I see zero performance or run time gains.....just a pretty fuel line hanger and thats all she's worth
Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
IMO in offroad the only thing a EGC is good for is giving you a solid way to mount your fuel line...... I see zero performance or run time gains.....just a pretty fuel line hanger and thats all she's worth
I agree, total gimmick!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I tested one many times in many locations on the car. I didn't gain any run time. If I did it was not showing up in my calculations. This was a test over a years time taking it on and off the car. In my "opinion" it is just another place for a potential air leak. I tried using the same cooler for the fuel as well with no results. I may try again. I may make my own cooler with very very large fins. However, so far I have gained nothing except knowing it's potentially not doing anything worth the risk of leaks.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

You guys have to remember that the testing with these were done in extreme conditions wit on-road cars who have FAR more consistent throttle input and most of the time these guys are WOT. Either way, they still look badazz IMO.
Fun fact for the day: 2013 1:8 WORLD CHAMPION Robert Battle ran an EGC on his car in the worlds. Couldn't hurt...
Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That's it... I'm doing liquid nitrogen cooling... I'll pit at 20 minutes!! LOL
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

We use these (the Kyosho ones specifically) on our fuel line because it helps us store just that bit more fuel. Yes we have long fuel lines as well.

Fuel capacity is not regulated where we race so this does provide some to little advantage. Also having an extra way to make sure sand and bits don't muck up your engine is always a plus.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Just drop a few ice cubes in there every time you RE-fuel. Ill design a new pit bag with a little freezer compartment.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Tech Lord

From an old topic:
http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/a...rticles_id=172
Old 03-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Wow i knew this would be a controversial topic
So I take it the consensus is that they are pointless but can't do no harm although pro racers do use them. If they are only useful in giving extra fuel time then it's pointless, but then the flip side to putting longer tubing can effect tuning, maybe I'll see how it goes for myself and if it fails which by the sounds of it it's a good chance I'll just use it as a fuel filter
Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roelof
Thanks mate great info
Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Filter = yes

Cool = how much more surface area does it have than a regular fuel filter?
negligible

Regulate: Duh! only your wallet
Perhaps a better term would be "damper".
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've seen a few of these threads pop up year after year and the consensus is the same, some claim they work, most claim they don't work but both will admit that someone else got their money. Like I said, they are built to take your money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.