R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
No seriously, what's the mindset with that? If someone believes replacing oil in the shocks or diffs just because it's been run six minutes, what happenes in 20, 30, 45 minute Mains where you can't change fluids? I guess you just pull into the pits and packup...
I agree, I believe if you have built the shocks and diffs properly, they should last. I only change them if I want to adjust during a race day. I do change before every race though. I am not good enough to notice the viscosity difference from use.
Diff Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Im Really Really bad for quallifying really good and just wanting to hang out? Have fun and kick back... What the heck do I do??? I actually need help!! LOL

I sometimes find myself going... damn I should really get back to my pit table to get my car ready and check stuff.. Next thing you know they are at my race and the rear shocks are on my pit table and my buggy is warming up on the starter box at track side! True story!! Boy you should see the rear end kick with no shocks on the thing YEE HAWW LOL quick!!!! grab the hitachi with the 2.0 and the 5.5!

I just like to have to much fun an it gets in the way! ALOT!

I like to say my cars are ready from start to finish when I get there... I dunno.. except clutch and clutch bearings anyway...
SKY RC
Exotek
endler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Best cleaning method I've learned...

1. Brush
2. Air compressor
3. TrakPower Speed Wash
4. Air Compressor
5. Pledge
6. Air compressor

water/wd40...no sir

* Futaba * O.S. Engines * RC Racing Communications *
CaptainHowdyt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonpeel View Post
lol. at races too true. between races i strip, clean, inspect and replace any parts that need it.
coneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Before the race I make sure my care is ready to run, between rounds I blow it off and inspect it, before the main I pop in a new airfilter and glow plug, new tires and go. I usually have at least 3 sets of tires all pre glued prior to the race and everything charged up and a spare receiver battery but I usually just charge the one in the car after my last heat. I have only not finished one race and that was my last one, I changed my engine prior to my final and there was too much chassis flex as I was running my 6R and I had the big crank bolt on the end of my OS engine, it would touch the fuel tank and kill the new TIGHT engine, other than that mistake I have always finished doing little maintenance but I do inspect closely.
jeromerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #37
Tech Fanatic

I always remove a cigarette from the pack and smoke. I grab a quick beer or two. Check the time sheets. Stand around complaining about sandbaggers running sportsman. Check camber and ride height. Fill with fuel, and drive some more.
Matthew Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Pre race I do a 75% tear down, change all the fluids, check screws, replace any worn bearings and get the setup dialed. That happens shortly after a long practice day or a race day.

Between heats I clean the body/car enough to prevent performance problems, clean the tires, check the clutch/replace clutch bearings, change the air filter if it needs it, check all the screws, check for leaks and make sure my setup is where it's supposed to be. I only change fluids if I am changing the setup.

Tires in this class already cost an arm and a leg, I couldn't afford to change all the fluids after every heat.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #39
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Next decent size race, I might race just one class and try the entire rebuild method that I see a lot of fast guys doing. I think it really is just to have full confidence in the car and to have a mental edge (they don't have to worry about anything except driving the car). I'll see for myself if it was worth it. I'm hoping not, because I like running multiple classes and there is no way I would have time to rebuild all my cars during a race.

I agree with the majority on this thread that 99% of the maintenance is done before the race even starts.
SEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #40
Tech Master

It really does just depend how hardcore you are in general. For me, the social side is just as important as the racing, so they both get fair time

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote