R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Grub screw stripped inside axle stub.... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/714098-grub-screw-stripped-inside-axle-stub.html)

MotoGod 03-17-2013 06:45 PM

Grub screw stripped inside axle stub....

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the darn thing out? I tried a few drill bits, but the grub seems to be hardened steel or something. Since it's inside the axle stub....I can't get my screw extractor in there either. I'm about to just hack off the hex and or the axle stub. lol

gixxer420 03-17-2013 07:38 PM

I broke a 1.5mm of in a grub screw and been trying to get that out.. Dang grub screws...

linkless 03-17-2013 07:53 PM

Always use a left handed drill bit. They will usually catch whatever you are drilling and back it out.

nitrosevers 03-17-2013 08:46 PM

if a left handed drill bit or a true screw extractor wont work you need to buy a special bit for drilling hardened steel cobalt bits should work just fine for anything in an rc car just drill slow and if you have any cutting fluid use it, if cobalt wont work a solid carbide bit will cut almost anything.

pdmustgt 03-17-2013 09:02 PM

I haven't found screw extractor that will bite into hardened steel ends up ruining extractor. Ones I've had tried from major tool guys end up junk unless someone has found ones that do work

dooug1960 03-18-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by linkless (Post 11942085)
Always use a left handed drill bit. They will usually catch whatever you are drilling and back it out.

where do you buy left handed bits ive checked my local hardware store which is an Ace

sschultz 03-18-2013 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by dooug1960 (Post 11945403)
where do you buy left handed bits ive checked my local hardware store which is an Ace

There used to be an industrial supply store by the grf airport that carried them. Otherwise, talk to somebody at ace, they can probably order...

Jaz240 03-18-2013 04:06 PM

drill it out with the diamond bit for a dremel Scott. You'll probably need a new hex but save everything else

nitrosevers 03-18-2013 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by pdmustgt (Post 11942369)
I haven't found screw extractor that will bite into hardened steel ends up ruining extractor. Ones I've had tried from major tool guys end up junk unless someone has found ones that do work

Triumph twist bit makes one that will work with hardened steel, and its made in USA

nitrosevers 03-18-2013 04:09 PM

I can get them here locally if you tell me what size I can send you one.

Gump 03-18-2013 07:58 PM

I had to get one of these out of a mid shaft on a losi on the weekend.
Cutting a slot with a fine cutoff wheel (to use a blade screwdriver) and then heating with a mini-torch didn't work. Tried cutting down one layer and slotting again with heat and no dice. Tried one more time going down another layer and still no dice. In the end we had to grind out the screw and its housing right down to the nub. That little bastard held on until it was .5mm thick and hot as hell from grinding - then it gave up the ghost.
But try heating it with a mini torch first. Its a must-have tool in my kit. You might just free it up.

B.C.Ninja 03-19-2013 12:51 AM

Flat Head screw driver, sounds pretty rough but works a treat, find a cheap shitty one that is slightly larger than the hex and smack it in with a hammer or the likes, it will cut its own groove and bed in when you twist it, have removed many a stripped screw with this method when I haven't been able to notch it with a dremel, I've found screw extractors don't work the best just make a mess of it and then you're poked, give the crew driver a shot, theres not much to loose with it really.

Stubbs 03-19-2013 04:26 AM

I've had this problem a couple times in the past. What works for me (if heat, and a LH drill bitt won't get it out), is to simply take a pin punch, and drive the cross pin out using a hammer.

Unless there is a flat on the pin, the grub screw won't be able to hold it, and it will come out without much fuss. This will allow you to get the hex off without damage, and will also take the load off of the grub screw.

I've been able to back them out afterwards with a little heat, and a small flat head screwdriver jammed in the stripped hex. ;)

Of course Scott, if you took the hexes off to change bearings more than once every presidential election, it would likely not get stuck in there! :ha:

Just messin' with ya bud....if you don't have any pin punches, I'll bring mine, and we can get it out when we get down to PNB.

killerkustoms 03-19-2013 05:21 AM

I bought a set at Harbor Freight and possibly Northern Tools might have some.

MotoGod 03-19-2013 06:28 AM

Thanks for the advice guys (except for you Stubby, you get to sleep on the roof of the RV at PNB now!). I'll see what I can use to get this sucker out. Good thing I don't NEED it to come out right now....my D812 is on a UPS truck headed to my house sometime today so I get to build the new kit for PNB now ;-)