Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Losi Muggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for pics. I have been toying with the idea of an lrp 30 x in my 8t 2. Any thoughts on that?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 AM
Tech Champion

Yes.. I have an LRP 30X truggy engine in my SC8, and IMHO it is AWESOME.

Howerver, I got it for €63 shipped, instead of like €200(back then.. Now they go for like €150), when they were being sold off dirt cheap by a shop getting rid of stock..

Here it is in my SC8:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This one sounds better, but it's vertical, from a cell phone..:

(I think for this one I had put in a smaller venturi, and this seemed to pep it up a bit..)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Basically, I bought the engine to go in my LST2(bought the pullstart backplate for it), but broke it in in my SC8, and it's so fun in that truck, that I haven't taken it out.. I've run a bunch of 21's and a Mach 427 in my SC8 so far, most of which have a better top end, but with the 30 you can just kind of feel the ground shaking more....

However.............., for an 8T 2.0 truggy, it might be torque overkill. The 454 in a truggy is borderline overkill. I dunno' - it depends on what you want to do, your budget, etc.. I mean, a Werks B5 for ex. would probably be more sensible, still have great power, not devour your drivetrain as much, etc.. More of a race engine though. For bashing, honestly I would get a stock 454, Dynamite Big Red, LRP .28, or maybe the 30 - whichever is cheapest... So IDK - depends.. The engine itself though - mine is the rebadged Nosram RS.30RR - is IMO simply totally awesome. Dead easy to break in and tune, and for a .30 I'm plenty happy with the top end. Seems to go well with the JP-4(haven't tried any other pipes.. Kind of suspect it would go great with a 2047 too...) So yeah, I love it. Especially given what I paid for it..
Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueStreakOne
Thanks for pics. I have been toying with the idea of an lrp 30 x in my 8t 2. Any thoughts on that?
I've got the .30x in my Rc8t right now and it really rips. I'm running some heavy MT tires on it to bash it around the house. The only issue was the clutch. I'm running a 15t clutchbell and I melted the aluminum clutch shoes on the stock clutch within a few tanks. After the meltdown I ordered a Buku clutch with the composite shoes. The aluminum composite shoes were slipping a little too much so Brian from Buku sent me a set of brass composite shoes that weigh more and provide a more positive engagement. After installing the brass shoes I've had no issues and great performance out of my .30x. In my opinion the only issue with the .30x is getting all that torque harnessed and put to the ground!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

As with the Muggy, nitro truggy platforms just don't do well with enormous MT tires.. Basically, all the stress ends up concentrated on the clutch.

A good set of LPR truggy size wheels/tires (Badlands were good..), are not only lighter and therefore lead to less wear and tear, but increase performance too.. I think you kind of have to abandon the monstery huge tire look with nitro truggies... Over time, not that big a sacrifice..
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Honestly, the 454 is a monster on the truggy.. Not near as much weight to push around. Id be thinking .28 or maybe a .30 but the .28 on the 8t will be plenty..

The more i look at the XXL, it really does remind me more of a muggy than a MT.. I will know soon when i pick it up tomorrow
Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
As with the Muggy, nitro truggy platforms just don't do well with enormous MT tires.. Basically, all the stress ends up concentrated on the clutch.

A good set of LPR truggy size wheels/tires (Badlands were good..), are not only lighter and therefore lead to less wear and tear, but increase performance too.. I think you kind of have to abandon the monstery huge tire look with nitro truggies... Over time, not that big a sacrifice..
I have to agree with you on the MT tires not working on a truggy. I feel I have found the solution with the Buku clutch. If you haven't tried one yet, it is well worth the money. They seem to be the only company that sells a clutch meant for high hp, heavy MT's. All the other clutches out there are meant for racers running lightweight track style tires. Unless your running on a track, those type of tires give little to no traction.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the feed back. I have a set of badlands but have yet to find a need for that much bite. I also have a buku clutch. When I get the 30 i was going to get new shoes and a new bell so I will go 15t and brass!
Old 11-10-2020, 01:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey any of you guys still have your muggys?
Old 11-10-2020, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Snowman2jz
Hey any of you guys still have your muggys?
You know I was thinking about the same thing.. Is there any renewed interest in muggies??

I do not think I will make a full muggy but then again it is not a muggy if one doesn’t..

At some point the rear suspension of one of my 8ights will be converted to use a truggy Tower and longer shocks. Not considered muggy mod per say however a large step towards mid size or the X variant.
tcartwright81 likes this.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:20 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm still looking for a few parts but here is mine

Almost done still need a few parts!
Old 11-22-2020, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Snowman2jz
I'm still looking for a few parts but here is mine

Almost done still need a few parts!
Now that is awesome!!