Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nervous when racing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm always nervous at the start of a race. Sometimes its so bad that my legs start shaking. even my fingers get all jittery. I crash more during the first couple of laps than the rest of the race. Haven't found anything that helps yet.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver
It helps to just run your own race, dont try to race anyone else, dont worry about what place your in, just try n improve lap after lap, i dont mean faster but smoother and the laptimes will def drop.....n so will the nervousness
That is some good advice, i have been working on that.

Something that ifuonlyknew said having confidence in your car is a important factor, i just found a good setup on my xb9 which has increased my confidence considerably.

Nerves is just one of those things, think you have it under control then all of a sudden it pops up and it can be hard to just snap out of that state.

Some good input guys well done, just thought id put it out there as a fair few of the boys i race with mention they get nerves as well.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rampokker
I'm always nervous at the start of a race. Sometimes its so bad that my legs start shaking. even my fingers get all jittery. I crash more during the first couple of laps than the rest of the race. Haven't found anything that helps yet.
I get similar to you, maybe not legs shaking but fingers tighten up and takes me a couple of laps to get into rhythm.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 AM
Tech Addict

Chewing gum is the only thing I have found to help, a little...

I`ve been racing since 2001 and I still get adrenaline rush like crazy sometimes, either at the start of a race or close to the end if I`m in a bump up position.

Legs start shaking, heart beats so hard I can feel it in my chest, and the taste of blood in my mouth.

To me, this is not a hobby, it`s an obsession...
Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have the nerve issue also, especially if I somehow get near the front of the pack.

My advice is to NOT drink caffeinated beverages at the track. Pounding a Monster Energy before your main would be a no-no!!

I'm going to try the chewing gum trick. I tried listening to music once but found it too much of a distraction. I like to be able to hear the announcer and fellow drivers.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by coneman
for me, it's as soon as i hear my name. i crash. regardless of position. which usually isn't a podium spot anyway.
hahaha you just made me laugh, good on ya mate that could have been from me lol
Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
I'm going to try the chewing gum trick. I tried listening to music once but found it too much of a distraction. I like to be able to hear the announcer and fellow drivers.

I've found myself to be the exact opposite. Since I already have a pit man timing my runs and letting me know when to come in, I prefer to not hear the announcer at all! Which is funny because when I am not running my heat, I am the track announcer...

To calm myself down I do use my ipod. I have noticed that different types of music do cause different driving styles. If a country song comes on, I get jittery and crash more. I think because I dislike country music. If a pop song comes on, I usually find myself slowing down because I am usually singing the song in my head and get distracted. Nothing worse than mid race the Barbie Girl song popping into your head!! In order to keep myself calm and driving the smooth fast pace I want I have to put on some pretty hardcore metal with a driving beat. Korn, Metallica, Slipknot, Five Finger Death Punch. That kind of stuff. My dad prefers Elton John and Johnny Cash.

The music trick can work wonders, you just have to find that type of music that works for you.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

IMO, if you don't get nervous or have some adrenalin flowing, then it wouldn't be nearly as fun! However, trying to control the amount of anxiousness or nervousness is hard at times.

The most important thing for me is to not over-think prior to the race. I've done that and before the race even starts, I'm as nevous as a whore in church Instead I try to think about Diana Dahlgren (Ms. Supercross) or something calming.

Chewing gum or biting on a zip-tie does seem to help some. It may sound weird, but I have also found that whenever I'm nervous or anxious whether it be before a race or before an interview etc., taking some ibuprofen helps calm the nerves. I'm not sure why, but it works for me. Don't take a Vike! It has the opposite effect
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Lil Wayne - I Ain't Nervous

I dont know how music will work in Nitro. How will you communicate with your Pitman. Pitmen are already yelling to get my attention for fuel, driving tips, ect...
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Originally Posted by BMenard17
Chew gum
I took his advice...now I am kicking some major tail!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by Rampokker
I'm
always nervous at the start of a race. Sometimes its so bad that my legs start shaking. even my fingers get all jittery. I crash more during the first couple of laps than the rest of the race. Haven't found anything that helps yet.
I use to do that. I take a shot of jack Daniel
And it solves all my problems.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

take a couple deep breaths, and simulate the race in your head to get into the rhythm quickly. Keep thinking that it is a practice race. Still get the butterflies in my stomach right before the sound of the tone though

but don't ever take anything that stimulates you like redbull. makes the jitters worse for me.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nitro Tiger
How many of you guys get nervous when you start racing if so what do you do to combat it.

I notice I get nervous/ anxiety in different degrees when racing which I think cost me at least 1 sec a lap in pace.

I'm sure a few of you have little methods before you race to stay calm.
I asked a friend of mine the same question once he told me to think of a women's breasts but I could not pass this information on to my 10 year old son who I pit for so maybe you guys can tell me how you get on
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

not really nervous, but i do fart alot. My own scent doesnt both me, but it may aggitate the others.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm also one of those guys that if they call my name... I'm done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.