Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Which 1/8 Buggy $300 or $500+ >

Which 1/8 Buggy $300 or $500+

Which 1/8 Buggy $300 or $500+

Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default Which 1/8 Buggy $300 or $500+

Thanks for visiting the thread!

Okay I've been looking into the Ofna Lx2 since I've read it is quite durable and good quality for the price but I'm in a dilemma about whether I should go for a cheaper sub $500 buggy or get into the more "advanced" buggies such as Losi, or AE for a bit more.

This will be my first nitro vehicle but I've been in the hobby with electric for about 2 years. I'm just wondering if it would really be worth getting the higher end buggies to save the hassle of perhaps breaking parts more easily and spending more in the long run. The Losi starter box sounds nice but I heard Losi was harder to work on and the engine is more finicky for tuning. I would prefer RTR since kits seem to add up once you buy electronics separate. Not sure if I will be racing on a track per say but lots of dirt and flat areas around me for speed and jumps (in between bashing and racing) which is why I think a buggy would be perfect. Don't really have a LHS either as it went down the tube but fuel is still available and they only carry parts for traxxas which I own 2 of. Buggy wise I think Traxxas is not the best....

Looked on many other threads but still can't decide what I should do. Advice would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Honestly it's best to spend more now then later on. You can get JQ the car Rtr nd the blue ofna starter box nd your set. You can also search a lot of used cars like the mugen mbx6 on here since the mbx7 came out.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

If you look around, you can find the Losi 8 2.0 on sale for $300.
Not my favorite buggy, but still a great one that needs no upgrades and will get you started in the right direction.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

+++++1 Hard to beat that price

Originally Posted by pickle311
If you look around, you can find the Losi 8 2.0 on sale for $300.
Not my favorite buggy, but still a great one that needs no upgrades and will get you started in the right direction.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

It's cheaper to buy the quality kits the first time. Get electronics that'll last 10 years. Don't go overboard on engine, but get quality. You ain't going to want to bash a racecar after hitting the track.

Plan on everything on a RTR failing when you budget. YMMV.

Example for your research:

-Xray Xb9 (+3 stripe springs and 1mm rear hubs), Kyosho Mp9, Serpent 811.
-OS .21xz, P3 2090
-Ofna Truggy box
-Turnigy lipos and chargers. 2s 1000, 4s 4000.
-Airtronics M11x
-Hitec 79XX servos
-the giant hotshot Glow ignitor
-Don't forget a personal transponder

The initial buyin to race 1/8th is steep. But buying a RTR, and then buying everything on the above list while kicking yourself in the shin is worse.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Buy once and spend the extra coin on good stuff. I currently run a JQ yellow and its been a fun car to own. Never breaks and didn't need any options for me to be comfortable with driving it. I agree with what zerodefect said. Get a good kit and never look back. I have used the os xzb and it was great but I'm much happier with the smoothness of the werks b6 at the moment. For servos, there are endless options and if you want a high performance budget servo I would look at the align ds615 (60$ shipped) and a life battery. Those will not work with lipo. I run 7955 hitecs, but those are 100$ each. Starterbox and lipos from hobbypartz would be a good start as well.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not sure if this will work for you... but it's at the very least worth a look.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/8IGHT-20-4...e_p_15168.html
Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would get a JQ rtr and just run it as is if you're mostly bashing. Expect to have to replace the servos fairly early but they should be good for a while and you won't need expensive ones.

You'll have a hard time finding even a used racing quality setup for under $500.

Honestly IMHO, if all you plan to do is bash, i would stick with electric.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't be scared of buying an RTR, especially for backyard racing and playing. They offer great value and come with most everything you need to get going. At around $300-$350, they aren't a huge investment to see if you're gonna like it. The Ofna LX, Hyper SS, JQ, and even the EXC would be great choices. Another choice may be to visit a track, races are like swapmeets, and you may be able to pick up a used package deal and get a chance to test drive it before purchasing.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

+1 for the JQ Products RTR, I have one & its a great buggy, very strong to, (check the crash test video) & they go really well with the alpha engine to. It shares 50+% of its parts with the Yellow kit version & virtually all pro parts can be fitted. Its easy to work on as well which is a good thing & the adjustability is nearly endless. If you decide to race then it won't take much to upgrade to make it better although it would already be ok on a track.
I liked mine so much that I'm now getting the Yellow addition buggy kit as well, they're a great car.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

It looks like a lot of people really like that JQ RTR. I think he hit it out of the ball park with that setup. Definately worth a look for your needs.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval
It looks like a lot of people really like that JQ RTR. I think he hit it out of the ball park with that setup. Definately worth a look for your needs.
Agreed there, I've got a JQ RTR and its a very good thing IMO super strong and it drives/handles really good and as Ozziii said its shares most of its parts with the kit version, so it is very easy to upgrade if ya wanted too..
Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 AM
Tech Adept

Yip JQ THE RtR all the way
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

Woah loads of responses.

However, I've talked with some people I know who own nitro's and they say it's a real pain to get the fuel from our so called "LHS". Almost all of them are converting to electric because of it so I'm not sure if I should go with Nitro for the matter. It would be nice to have but If I can't run it then there's not much point. So at the moment I'm looking into E-buggies.

After looking at dozens of threads and reviews on various models, It seems like the AE RC8.2e RS RTR for just under $500 would be great and still affordable. However since many people run the Factory Team Kit I've also considered it even though after all is said and done it would be pushing closer to $1000. I would enjoy making my first kit though and it's seems to be a straight forward kit to make.

I've also considered the Mugen MXB6 Eco roller as it's the same price as the AE only it doesn't come with a few thngs like the AE but the parts availability for the Mugen is what sets me off from it a bit. It would be nice to only have to assemble a few things rather than the whole unit.

Today I'm going to check what parts are available if there are any for these companies. If I go with a kit I'm sure I can cut costs a bit but I'll need help for you guys

I guess this should go in a new thread as it's electric....

Thanks for the responses guys really appreciate it!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Fanatic01
Woah loads of responses.

However, I've talked with some people I know who own nitro's and they say it's a real pain to get the fuel from our so called "LHS". Almost all of them are converting to electric because of it so I'm not sure if I should go with Nitro for the matter. It would be nice to have but If I can't run it then there's not much point. So at the moment I'm looking into E-buggies.

After looking at dozens of threads and reviews on various models, It seems like the AE RC8.2e RS RTR for just under $500 would be great and still affordable. However since many people run the Factory Team Kit I've also considered it even though after all is said and done it would be pushing closer to $1000. I would enjoy making my first kit though and it's seems to be a straight forward kit to make.

I've also considered the Mugen MXB6 Eco roller as it's the same price as the AE only it doesn't come with a few thngs like the AE but the parts availability for the Mugen is what sets me off from it a bit. It would be nice to only have to assemble a few things rather than the whole unit.

Today I'm going to check what parts are available if there are any for these companies. If I go with a kit I'm sure I can cut costs a bit but I'll need help for you guys

I guess this should go in a new thread as it's electric....

Thanks for the responses guys really appreciate it!
Just order your fuel from Amain. 4 gallons of Byrons or Sidewinder Worlds blend lasts me a whole season. Actually since I use electric to practice with now, I only use 2g per year.

If you want an ECO I have one for sale for $100 less than I paid with only 4 races on it. (only used 1 set of Megabite tires) I'm getting rid of it because:
1.) It's shocks do not suit my driving style
2.) It's not as adjustable as my other 1/8th scale cars. It deosn't react to small changes as much as an XB9.
3.) Deosn't seem to have the pack and rebound speed as other cars with 16mm shocks. It's shocks just plain don't suit my style of tuning.
4.) The arms (even the rear) aren't up to Mugens usual standards.

BUT, I promised it to a Mugen driver looking to upgrade. But if they don't want it, I'm selling it here. My loss, your win.

I'm going back to the olde Xray 808E platform with some Xb9 parts until I can afford to buy a $erpent 811E.

Avoid the AE RC8 RTR. I had one. It's not competitive. By the time I got competitive driving that car, I spent so much I could have started with a Kyosho MP9 and a mid shelf engine. The Rc8.2 roller kit is much better, but it's a bit old and not as advanced or durable as newer cars. AE is overdue for new ride and they know it. It's an OK car, but there are better choices out there now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.