Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIPO HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default LIPO HELP

I got a Venom 3s 5400 mah lipo for my new engine heater and I'm scared to charge it. All I ever read is about lipos blowing up... Well I finally manned up and hooked it up to slow charge at 1 amp. Any tips for safety with lipos?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickChitwood126
I got a Venom 3s 5400 mah lipo for my new engine heater and I'm scared to charge it. All I ever read is about lipos blowing up... Well I finally manned up and hooked it up to slow charge at 1 amp. Any tips for safety with lipos?
balance charge it in a lipo bag for safety.

you will be fine to charge it at 5.4 amps no problem. I have been using venom packs for years without issue.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ben73
balance charge it in a lipo bag for safety.

you will be fine to charge it at 5.4 amps no problem. I have been using venom packs for years without issue.
I got the Losi balance board but it doesn't work with the Venom connectors so it's not on a balanced charge right now. What's making me nervous is that the battery is swelling up? It's just the standard soft pack lipo. About how long would it take for the lipo to fully charge at 1 amp?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickChitwood126
I got the Losi balance board but it doesn't work with the Venom connectors so it's not on a balanced charge right now. What's making me nervous is that the battery is swelling up? It's just the standard soft pack lipo. About how long would it take for the lipo to fully charge at 1 amp?
If it's not being balanced and is starting to swell up, go ahead and unplug it before you burn your house down!

Do you have a voltmeter of any kind? On the balance plug, starting with the black end wire, go along and measure the voltage of each cell, making sure each one is less than 4.2 volts.

If each cell is under 4.2 volts, just set the battery aside if the swelling is minimal, and wait until you get the proper balance board.

If there is a cell over 4.2 volts, you need to find a way to discharge that cell below 4.2 volts immediately. Once it's discharged you need to determine how severe the swelling is. You may need to dispose of the battery.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

First off balancing is very important to lipos. I to was scared of them for years, but learning how to properly care for lipos is 80% of the game plan. I rarely charge with out balancing. It takes my 5000 packs about 30 mins to charge and balance.

I do not take any chances in guessing what to do. If my pack swells, I discard it, period. If it charge over 4.2 get a new charger. My hyperion and Orion will not let the pack over charge.