Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Winter Nitro Break in and Running >

Winter Nitro Break in and Running

Winter Nitro Break in and Running

Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Winter Nitro Break in and Running

Just wondering if I can break in my Traxxas Nitro Sport after christmas during the winter. As long as theres no snow and not in the twenties, then I woul do it. If the weather was snowy and in the twenties, I would wait. Also, can i break it in and run it all winter long? Would this affect the engine when it starts to warm up in the spring or would I just have to tune it once it warms up?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

You can indeed do a break-in with cold weather. BUT you need to make sure your temps are above 200F for good heat-cycling during the break-in.

I've had others suggest wrapping the cooling head in tin foil and an old sock if you have trouble getting your engine to 200f.

other than that, as long as your temps are good, you shouldn't have an issue with the cold weather. You will probably have to lean out your tune once Mother-Nature's furnace kicks in for spring time :-)
Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EbbTide
You can indeed do a break-in with cold weather. BUT you need to make sure your temps are above 200F for good heat-cycling during the break-in.

I've had others suggest wrapping the cooling head in tin foil and an old sock if you have trouble getting your engine to 200f.

other than that, as long as your temps are good, you shouldn't have an issue with the cold weather. You will probably have to lean out your tune once Mother-Nature's furnace kicks in for spring time :-)
I am already an expert on the exact break in procedure, and know what to do for winter break in. Thank you I just wanted to hear from somebody a bit more experienced to tell me that i can indeed do it. My main issue was not knowing if once it gets broken in during winter and being run during winter if it would be all screwd up once it warms up. Thanks again
Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

No problem at all. I'm not an expert (so someone else might want to confirm), but from reading through forums, guides and my own trial and error, there won't be any adverse affects from doing a "winter break-in" other than having to re-tune once the warm seasons come rolling in. Then again, you always have to tune it a bit when the weather changes drastically lol. Best of luck with the break-in :-)
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EbbTide
No problem at all. I'm not an expert (so someone else might want to confirm), but from reading through forums, guides and my own trial and error, there won't be any adverse affects from doing a "winter break-in" other than having to re-tune once the warm seasons come rolling in. Then again, you always have to tune it a bit when the weather changes drastically lol. Best of luck with the break-in :-)
Thank you I feel it will go fine
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rtebbetts
I am already an expert on the exact break in procedure, and know what to do for winter break in. Thank you I just wanted to hear from somebody a bit more experienced to tell me that i can indeed do it. My main issue was not knowing if once it gets broken in during winter and being run during winter if it would be all screwd up once it warms up. Thanks again
Be sure not to leave any moisture in the engine after the break-in. So do not leave it in the basement or the garage.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There is nothing wrong with breaking in or running in cold weather. In fact, the air is denser.