R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #31
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curacing2 View Post
One big plus with going for a Mugen 6T is you do not need to spend/waste money on making the truggy competitive with custom option bits, this gives you more cash for the other items you need to race.

A $600 budget will get a decent 2nd hand truggy and new motor, GO, Alpha etc but your going to need to spend at least that much again on radio, servos, battery and tyres, and as the guys have said buy the good stuff and you won't regret it.
chopper82p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I am just glad I am not the one who decided on giving racing a go. I am happy with my bash n crash hobby status lol. But as for the Tamiya, you already sold ME on it. But I have to pay my G35's insurance before I buy another RC kit =/ And waiting for my Christmas bonus sounds like a good plan. :-)

I told my friend all of the downsides you all speak of regarding the actual cost to get something competitive up and running as a new kit instead of going with a good 2nd hand setup. And he has decided to take it slow and visit the tracks when I bring my MT to bash around so that he can mingle with the other drivers and see who is racing what in our area. So thank you all for putting it into perspective. I had no idea how much money the pros put into these cars.
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Compairing it to MX it is cheap. A new 250f is what? 7 grand or something. But yea going to a track, talking to some guys etc. is a good idea.
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

For MX, his whole family is into the sport so he gets a lot of financial and mechanical support from them as far as that goes; same with his drag setup. His uncle has his own auto shop built on as an addition to his property in Gilroy, Ca so they are set to jet for full sized motor sports.

With RC, he only has me, and a good friend of ours who knows a bit about 2 and 4-stroke engines. And you guys already know I suffer from a noobish lack of knowledge lol. I am glad I found this forum though, otherwise I would have encouraged him to buy the RTR Trophy Truggy kit and he would have been blown away by the competition. You all have been an extreme help and potentially saved the kid hundreds.
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote