Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to build a RC8.2 kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I went through this a year ago - RC8.2, or Mugen MBX6R.. My case is a bit special, because I already had so many Associated parts on hand, so I chose the Associated. In retrospect - focussing purely on the two buggies - it was a mistake. I completely disagree with Zerodefekt about part quality - Associated is up there with anybody. BUT.... If you read the RC8.2 thread, it's true - all they talk about is a million and one mods you have to make to calm down the rear end. So it's a geometry issue with the RC8.2, not a quality one. It's a neverending story. Quality is excellent - but be prepared to order a bunch of other c.rap, drill holes in shock towers, etc..

I'd rather have a Mugen and plop it on the track than try to keep up with all the nit-picky little mods people go on about with the RC8.2.. Their truggy btw is awesome and still competitive.

As far as engines, look at the 21 offroad engine section at Amain and take your pick.. I've heard good things about the Reedy, but I for ex. would rather have the new Picco 5TR, or an Alpha A852(even cheaper..), or a Werks B6 or something.. There are 25+ good engine choices out there, including the Reedy...

The ACE servos are good..

ps All that said about the AE, it also depends - how seriously and competitely do you plan to race? The AE is probably just fine out of the box for a beginner.. I personally find it annoying to check in to a thread about a car I run and all people talk about is the umpteen bazillion miniscule shock mods they've been doing for ex.. But on the other hand, most of that is just useless "keeping up with the Ryans" anyway, and probably doesn't have that much effect.. A guy on a German forum has told me the main thing you need to do is just drill the "zero hole" in the rear shock tower, and that makes the biggest difference.. If you go into the RC8.2 thread though and ask, it will quickly become a labyrinth.. So yeah - just keep in mind - there's a lot of BS to sift through, but depending on your level of experience and ambition, the RC8.2 might be just the ticket for you.. I personally wish I'd gotten a Mugen though..
Iv'e been looking at the Mugen MBX6 as well... Im not really familiar with the brand as i didn't see alot of them at my local track when i used to go there every weekend. Im looking for a car that's good all around, good value and parts availability and most importantly reliability and build quality. the MBX6 on the forum has been making it interesting for me thats for sure! Is one or the other better for compatibility between other brands between parts? I have read some people using parts between cars for different brands is that true?
If the MBX6 has as good or better build quality, reliability, and parts availability and value then maybe i should just find a MBX6. Im open to all opinions and i have heard alot of nit picky things about the RC8.2 but i dont think i have yet to find anything bad at all about the MBX6?

I didnt realize building a 1/8th Buggy was going to be such a research project!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

MBX6 is bullet proof, raced it 4 years and only broke one front arm, two gear cases and a shock tower.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The AE car is fine with zero mods. The kit setup can be a little aggressive and there are a few setup changes you can make with zero mods to make the car more neutral and easy to drive. Honestly, there are many good choices and most of the major brand cars a fully capable of winning. Base your decision on whatever is most common in your area. As a newbe, you want to find some PRO/sponsored drivers that will give you setup help. It is also nice to drive a common car in case you break and need to borrow a part at the track. Unless you buy two kits, you will always need that one spare you don't have.

Last edited by BradS; 11-13-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've had good luck with the Hot Bodies car, and they should have one with a few cool updates coming out soon. Otherwise, I've had success with an older one from a while now, including an electric truggy conversion.

Oh, and you can run a LiFe pack without a regulator. Fully Peaked up, they have a max voltage of 7.2 volts, which is about where a 5-cell NiMH pack is at when it comes off the charger. I've been using the Reedy LiFe reciever pack with standard JR servos without problems.

Also, the 7955s aren't really rated for use with LiPo, its the 7954 that's a high voltage servo.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

I say go Mugen. The only parts I broke are from my error. Super durable.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dont listen to anything Herrsavage says - he is too afraid to pick up a drill and put a hole through the tower. As for 'complete'defect - he needs to pull his head out of panties and race against some decent rc8.2 drivers before he makes such wide reaching statements. The RC8.2 is a world winning car. I dont have any issues with the mugen or xray.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by prowlag
Dont listen to anything Herrsavage says - he is too afraid to pick up a drill and put a hole through the tower. As for 'complete'defect - he needs to pull his head out of panties and race against some decent rc8.2 drivers before he makes such wide reaching statements. The RC8.2 is a world winning car. I dont have any issues with the mugen or xray.
Whatever chief.. NOBODY here runs RC8.2's.. I am constantly the only one at the track running Associated. And it's going to stay that way whether you like it or not.. Partly because there is NO resale value for an RC8.2, because everybody else is just as put off about all the dumb little mods you have to do.., and having paid full price for what should have been an awesome car out of the box*, I'm not going to give it away. I will be drilling the holes in the shock tower, as soon as I can find the time and motivation to take the whole freaking car (or at least rear end) apart to do it..

Not only is the Mugen by all accounts ready to go with a good all-around capability and no need for drilling anything, or Hot Bodies shock caps, or Avid this, that, or whatever, but they undeniably have a much better resale value. I've tried selling my RC8.2 two or three times, for a fair price, and got no bites at all..

Like it or not, I think it's fair to say that the popularity of a car is represented and reflected in the main forums dedicated to it. And all anybody has to do is poke their nose in the RC8.2 thread for half a page and realize that something's not quite right, because instead of pictures of podium finishes and discussions of how awesome the car is, all anybody talks about is what off-brand shock bladders "make such a huuuuge difference", or what expensive Avid parts supposedly do the same thing, and on and on and on...

And on...

I know a lot of it is nonsense.. But nevertheless, it adversely affects the perception of the car IMO. The car IS better than what the thread suggests.. But sorry - that thread is awful..(with the exception of a few people like heavyjeff, who are nice and willing to help.. And apparently not infected with the off-brand shock-bladder and Avid bla bla obsession..)

* I do think it's a fine car for me, and I will continue to run it. But I think AE jumped the gun in releasing it. It obviously wasn't ready.

Last edited by Herrsavage; 11-13-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Dont listen to Herrsavage he complains constantly and Zero had a bad
experiences with a first gen RC8 and still has a bad taste in his mouth.

NOBODY runs XGAY around here but does that make it a bad car? And
the great MBX6 is FAR from being a ready out of the box car. It needs
setup changes just like any car and there fuel tanks are horrible. At least
Zero is an actual racer who runs his cars and sees what happens in the
real world. As far as servos i had exellent luck with my 1015s for years, dont
run em anymore since they limit you to 6v or a regulator. Funny the vaunted
7955tg has a HORRIBLE reputation with any of the large scale airplane
crowd. If you want them there avalible for about 90 bucks online.

KIT- RC8.2, MBX6R, DNX408, MP9TK3 you pick, every car needs a little individual
attention to perform at there best.

Engine- X3 lightning, check out Houstons Engine Service. He has a thread in the
nitro engine forum. Monty can fix you up with a pipe also.

Radio- Airtronics MT4

Servos- EVERY servo is going to fail eventually in an 1/8 scale. Hitech has an
awsome warranty. 7954sh or 7955tg.

Starter box- Get the best one right away OFNA 10244 Truggy Box

Last edited by JsK; 11-13-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Tech Champion

My first gen RC8 was great - one of the best RC's I've had. My RC8B was very good too. Same with my RC8T, and SC8.. Very, very happy with all of them.

Associated as a rule makes very, very good RC's.

One other thing to keep in mind too. If you do go Associated, there is no company with as many 8th scale cars on the market, which means NO 8th scale buggy will have better parts support(even though with the RC8.2 they did change quite a bit - but in a pinch you can use for ex. RC8B/SC8 diffs.. But also lots of other things..) Associated has the RC8T, RC8.2 now, there are still RC8B's around, the SC8, and then both nitro and electric versions of all of them. All of which means there are TONS of spare parts out there. This is one of the reasons I like Associated so much. I don't like having to rely on like one or two shops. I had a Hyper ST some years ago, and found it annoying that every single different 8th scale RC of theirs' had a different engine mount for ex. With Associated, all the same, across the whole range. Tank, clutch, diff housings, servo plate, radio box, etc.. - all the same..

I wouldn't say either that I dislike the RC8.2. I think OK, you need to drill some holes in the rear shock tower, and that's probably it. The rest is unnecessary fluff - I think.. Then you'll have an awesome buggy that can hang with anything - with a good price, and great parts availability. The thread dedicated to it though is completely bewildering, as to what is necessary, and what not. I think if, before you buy, if you research it, that question mark isn't there with a Mugen. Which is why I said I wish I'd gone with the MBX6R over the RC8.2. But now that I'm keeping the RC8.2, I'll drill the tower, and like the car either way.

Last edited by Herrsavage; 11-14-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by prowlag
It's a flimsy turd. We had a layout with a chicane in the straight. My Xray and the Losi's pegged that shicane at speed and spun like tops every time able to continue on. Both RC8's at the track snapped the front C hub like a twig the first time they hit that chicane.

These were RC8B and an RC8.2, they all seem to use the same cheap plastic.

-shock bushings wear
-kingpin screws fall out, key'd kingpin bushings are just plain stupid
-plastic wears 10 times faster than any other kit causing super floppy suspension and eventually hardcore understeer. Meanwhile the Mugen/Xrays have nearly no plastic wear and play after YEARS of use
-rod ends wear to quick
-chassis braces get flexy and allow the chasis to over flex and snap the engine crankcase (never replaced a brace on my Xray)
-heavy and fat
-never really felt balenced
-goofy caster plugs that wear quickly
-kinda of a pain to work on

There's better cars out there, I'm glad my RC8 is gone. Save the fanboyism for RC10.com, I haven't seen a decent racer run AE in YEARS. Not in OH, PA, FL, or AL.

Even the mighty Losi 8 2.0 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Most popular cars up here (in the Amain) are Losi, Mugen, Serpent. We do get a chuckle out of a C main stacked with Rc8's though. If the car is a pain to tune, inconsistant, and fragile.....you're pretty much screwed. I'm constantly helping newbs struggle with this car still after all these years. I really don't want to see another newb suffer this car. You're welcome to like your RC8 all you want to. But if you can't say there are far better cars out right now, then you're a liar.

1/8th scale is extremely competititve right now. Drop the AE fanboyism and get something easier to get to the winners circle. Mugen/Serpent/Xray/Kyosho can get there with just an extra set of springs and maybe +1mm hubs.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 11-14-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Oh Boy, the only reason you see so many mods for the rc8.2 is because they are just trying to be like the Ryans! If other team drivers were as hyped up as the Ryans are they would be noticing every little thing on the car also. Ty Tessman for example, Ryan Lutz with the new Durango prototype, and Robert Battle with the Mugen. Everyone tries different things some hide it some don't. With that being said i have an 8b thats pretty much a 8.2 and it is the best buggy I have driven to date! In my opinion it dosen't need anything to be competitive and is pretty tough so far and easy to work on. This is from my experience driving on a small indoor tight & technical track a outdoor track that's bigger and a little looser may be a different story. If you want to drive a azz happy buggy thats a pain to work on get an Agama
Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Go with what YOU want, not what others are telling you to get.

As for your list, the car is fine. The radio you chose is ok. The engine needs to be changed, not many running that one anymore. Look into OS, Orion, Novarossi, Go, Alpha. those are popular choices that you could get tuning info easily on. The servos are fine also, I run the 1015 and have onlt stripped the gears once, and that was my fault. ive been running them for almost 4 years now.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Hoese37
Go with what YOU want, not what others are telling you to get.

As for your list, the car is fine. The radio you chose is ok. The engine needs to be changed, not many running that one anymore. Look into OS, Orion, Novarossi, Go, Alpha. those are popular choices that you could get tuning info easily on. The servos are fine also, I run the 1015 and have onlt stripped the gears once, and that was my fault. ive been running them for almost 4 years now.
Thanks for the suggestions! Im really pushing towards a MXB6R now, i think the amainhobbies sale for the MBX6R for 499$ is also helping me out.
Im sure both cars are great, i havent yet heard anyone say almost anything bad or questionable about the Mugen so who knows maybe ill have to start a new thread on a MBX6R build Im thinking im set on my radio and receiver i listed on the forum in my parts list (the spektrum with telemetry) because i can get the radio and receiver normal retail for 350$ but both for 190$ on ebay brand new because people part out the 8ight 2.0 kits that come with the RTR's it sounds like? so i dont think i can go wrong with that radio/receiver combo for the price what do you think?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Wow...quite a battle raging here. I'm a hobby racer and not sponsored by anyone. I race 6-8 times a season and do it strictly to have fun. I'm still running a 5+ season old Losi 8ight B 1.0. I've driven a few other buggies, but mine still works fine so I don't see a reason to buy the "latest and greatest" right now. Things i've noticed in a few years of racing:

1.) Don't go cheap on servos or radio. I use a DX3R and have not had any issues. I use JR9100T's on steering and Hi-tec 965MG's on throttle. JR has a 3-year warranty, should you need it. The 9100T in my buggy is 5 years old and still going strong.

DX3S is probably fine. If you can get it new for $190, i'd say yes. Don't bother with the telemetry crap, though.

2.) Seems as though there is always a "motor of the month". That being said, there must be a reason why you always see at least 1/2 of the guys at the track running Novarossi. I ran cheapo Novarossi 3-ports for 4 years and loved them. So far, so good on the Werks for me, though.

3.) Ask 5 people what chassis to get, and you are likely to get 10 different answers. My advice would be to see what others at your track are running and see what (if any) your LHS supports. This way, you will have more people to help you with set-up and parts support. Some of the brands claim better quality than others, but nothing is unbreakable. If you get what's popular at your track or supported by your LHS, you may be more likely to break something (still up for debate), but at least you will be able to get parts. Casing a 40' triple is gonna break something on any vehicle, I don't care what you've got.

Nothing would suck worse than having your day cut short because your "unbreakable" XYZ brand buggy just snapped a "whatever" and no one else at the track can help you since you are the only one at the track running that brand. And you didn't spare anything because that guy on RCTech said they "never break".

Last edited by sdtech58; 11-14-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Excellent post..

For what it's worth, I bought a DX3S earlier this year, and had range issues on day one - an instance of reality turning out exactly like the negative stories I'd read about so much on the internet. I returned it immediately, and went with a cheaper Airtronics - now have the MX-V, and am totally happy with it. Receivers are a bit more expensive, but being Airtronics, there are no doubts..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.