R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Please help me choose Nitro Buggy RTR

First Nitro car. I have built E trucks before and am fairly mechanical. I have it narrowed to JQ The Car rtr, Kyosho Inferno NEO Race Spec, Ho Bao Hyper SS. Trying to keep it at about $400 before I go crazy. Start out as mainly a basher to run in the park, but there is a Great Indoor track at my Hobbytown Hobbyplex in Omaha that I may start to frequent, would like to upgrade parts as I go along.
Thanks

Last edited by bigbirney; 11-08-2012 at 07:13 PM.
bigbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Of those choices, I think the JQ would be best. The JQ is at least mostly the same car as the race kit. The other two are different cars than the manufacturers team would race. If you have the funds the losi 2.0 rtr might be a good choice as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
Of those choices, I think the JQ would be best. The JQ is at least mostly the same car as the race kit. The other two are different cars than the manufacturers team would race. If you have the funds the losi 2.0 rtr might be a good choice as well.
I could afford it, but may lead to divorce. I have a full size car addiction that eats away at lots of funds as well

If there are any other suggestions in that range I am open to them, probably buy this weekend
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

From HPI, I'd get a D8S before the Trophy. JQ looks good with the option to upgrade to the race kit just like Associated and Losi. Losi is still the best bang for you $$$. Bullet proof / decent performing 1/8th scale at $400 is a pretty tuff find.
kja812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'd have to go with the jq. I think it's by far the best rtr for 400 or less.
Turbo900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all of the responses.

I know $400, doesn't buy anything amazing, I just don't want to spend $700+ and find out I don't have the time or lose interest after 6 months.

Would spending extra $75-100 on HPI D8S, or Team Associated RC8RS be that beneficial?

I plan on building a kit down the road, just want to get my feet wet. A lot has changed in 15 years since I built my Kyosho Big Brute.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow. The JQ RTR looks like a good deal for < $400 that's very impressive. Kids Christmas... maybe. Does anybody know what the difference is in the kit parts vs. RTR parts?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Post #9829 and #9830

JQ Products - THE Car

Post #20 by JQ

JQ The Car RTR
Keith Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Awesome video of the Car RTR.

http://vimeo.com/51703091
Keith Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

I think I have made my choice. Seems to be one of the only RTR thats similar to race versions in many ways, that doesnt cost $700 like the Losi 8ight 2.0, and can be upgraded over time.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirney View Post
I think I have made my choice. Seems to be one of the only RTR thats similar to race versions in many ways, that doesnt cost $700 like the Losi 8ight 2.0, and can be upgraded over time.
Keep in mind, the JQ has a pullstart. So it doesn't come with a starter box. You'll need to find a engine backplate if you decide to convert the JQ to a starter box.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
Keep in mind, the JQ has a pullstart. So it doesn't come with a starter box. You'll need to find a engine backplate if you decide to convert the JQ to a starter box.
I had read that, supposedly backplate is available, or will be. I dont mind pull start for a while. I have been bitten by the bug.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
I had read that, supposedly backplate is available, or will be. I dont mind pull start for a while. I have been bitten by the bug.
Backplates just came in. We start shipping next week!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
There's a reason why the Losi RTR costs more - it's the only decent RTR package out there, the others are rubbish. It has a half-decent engine and a very good radio. Compare that to the junk radio included in the JQ package, oh my Lord what a laugh.

Keep that in mind when you are buying two new pullstart assemblies every week, and two new one-way-bearings every week for the pullstart, of whichever piece of junk you end up with.

Buy cheap, you buy twice. This is VERY true in this instance.

You get some pullstart junker and it'll never run right, you'll struggle the whole time, and in the end you will walk away thinking:
"Nitro is too difficult, I want electric"

Meanwhile nitro is not really difficult, it's just the piece of junk pullstart engines included in most RTR packages that are awful.

I could sit here all afternoon giving what I think is the best advice, but in the end I know there is a certain group of people who always need to learn from their own mistakes, who can't just take it from others who say something based on their own experiences gained over many years.

I'd also like to add that the JQ cars just aren't very good quality, that's my honest opinion, I'm sure there are loads of fanboys and professionals who sell the product who will chime in and disagree in the most vocal way possible, but my opinion is that the JQ cars are of lesser quality than the other more established brands.

You have to remember that those who make money from selling something will always claim it is a great product that they're selling. Even if it's not true.

If you REALLY want RTR you should get the Losi RTR, the others are just not worth it and will end up costing you more long term.

Ps. Inferno Neo is based on a 15-year old car, remade in worse quality plastics, and there's nothing "race" about it. The engine is probably the worst in history.
Eivind E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
Tech Rookie

So evidently in your opinion, the other 100 RTR out there are all crap and nobody should buy them. A young teenager generally does not have $700 to buy a nitro car, so they should wait and save for years? Like I said earlier I am not looking for a racer out of the box, just something to tinker around with for a while. I have had Nitro boats 15 years ago, and they were a lot more temperamental than the engines are now.
My Brothers Losi SCT 10 Nitro is easier to start with onboard system, when it works right, but its a pain to work on, and drains car battery much faster. If I was going to spend $700 I would just build a kit anyway.