R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
Tech Master

Ok, I understand your financial conundrum, it's just the most important part of a nitro car is the engine, and most of these RTR's come with terrible engines.

You could also look around for deals.
I saw a Hyper Star new-in-box go for like $250 on a certain auciton website the other day.
And RC8.2 kits regularly go for $350 on auctions.
Sometimes brand new engines that aren't popular, but are still good engines, can be had for like $100. I bought a Go once with an Efra 2072 pipe for like $80, and the pipe alone retails for like $65 in the stores.

I guess for the money the JQ RTR isn't that bad. At least you get started and don't have to wait forever.. it's the most modern design out of the ones you consider.
Eivind E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Hello,

I have been watching this thread since day one all I can say is that I have never said anything like: "Get The JQ RTR" or something like that...my only post in this thread was about the backplate we now have available... I am in fact a professional as I work for JQ Products and all I can say is get what you think that will provide the best value for your money. As I am a racer myself for almost twenty years I can tell you that all that counts is having fun! We are here to provide support and not brainwash anyone. Let us know if you need any help!

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
Ok, I understand your financial conundrum, it's just the most important part of a nitro car is the engine, and most of these RTR's come with terrible engines.

You could also look around for deals.
I saw a Hyper Star new-in-box go for like $250 on a certain auciton website the other day.
And RC8.2 kits regularly go for $350 on auctions.
Sometimes brand new engines that aren't popular, but are still good engines, can be had for like $100. I bought a Go once with an Efra 2072 pipe for like $80, and the pipe alone retails for like $65 in the stores.

I guess for the money the JQ RTR isn't that bad. At least you get started and don't have to wait forever.. it's the most modern design out of the ones you consider.
Ok so my next question is, Is anything RTR that much better at the $500 range. Like Team Associated RC8, or HPI D8S. Its not all about the money, just looking to have something fun, semi durable, and I dont mind upgrading parts down the road. Right now I just cant justify spending $700+ on a hobby I may lose interest in in 6 months or not have the time for.
bigbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirney View Post
Ok so my next question is, Is anything RTR that much better at the $500 range. Like Team Associated RC8, or HPI D8S. Its not all about the money, just looking to have something fun, semi durable, and I dont mind upgrading parts down the road. Right now I just cant justify spending $700+ on a hobby I may lose interest in in 6 months or not have the time for.

1/8 GP 4WD r/s Inferno NEO ST

Part Number 31683T2B

Take a look at this kit. The street price is in the very low $400 range. This is a great value on a great RTR kit and there are upgrade parts available when you are ready.

It is based on the Inferno that has won so many World's Championships.

Lee

Last edited by Winner's Circle; 11-09-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirney View Post
I started with an AE RTR. It was a good buggy, I did well in plenty of races with it. The engine was junk, that was the first thing I changed. Next came radio and servos. I wouldn't suggest it now only because it is pretty outdated for the RC8 line. After having that RTR, I have since run an RC8B and RC8.2. To upgrade the RTR to a RC8.2 spec wouldn't really be feasible.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

Im thinking the 1/8 may be a bit much, I dont like to do anything cheaply. I think I will buy Losi Ten-T RTR. I can beat it up and at least have the Spektrum DX-3S to move forward with. If I get addicted and plan to race I will probably build a 1/8 Nitro kit.
bigbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default low quality of JQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
There's a reason why the Losi RTR costs more - it's the only decent RTR package out there, the others are rubbish. It has a half-decent engine and a very good radio. Compare that to the junk radio included in the JQ package, oh my Lord what a laugh.

Keep that in mind when you are buying two new pullstart assemblies every week, and two new one-way-bearings every week for the pullstart, of whichever piece of junk you end up with.

Buy cheap, you buy twice. This is VERY true in this instance.

You get some pullstart junker and it'll never run right, you'll struggle the whole time, and in the end you will walk away thinking:
"Nitro is too difficult, I want electric"

Meanwhile nitro is not really difficult, it's just the piece of junk pullstart engines included in most RTR packages that are awful.

I could sit here all afternoon giving what I think is the best advice, but in the end I know there is a certain group of people who always need to learn from their own mistakes, who can't just take it from others who say something based on their own experiences gained over many years.

I'd also like to add that the JQ cars just aren't very good quality, that's my honest opinion, I'm sure there are loads of fanboys and professionals who sell the product who will chime in and disagree in the most vocal way possible, but my opinion is that the JQ cars are of lesser quality than the other more established brands.

You have to remember that those who make money from selling something will always claim it is a great product that they're selling. Even if it's not true.

If you REALLY want RTR you should get the Losi RTR, the others are just not worth it and will end up costing you more long term.

Ps. Inferno Neo is based on a 15-year old car, remade in worse quality plastics, and there's nothing "race" about it. The engine is probably the worst in history.
Hello
I have to chime in on this one, been building 1/8th scale offroad buggys now for 23 years now. Raced them now for 17 of those years,

I am going to call horse crap your your claim of them being "junk" or low quality. The aluminum/plastic/steel in these kit's are almost BOMB proof

The adjustablity of these chassis leave's all the other manufacturer's in the stone age.

In my opinion JQ remind's me of Associated back in the day, when you could build a kit out of the box, go win the world's with it.

You say the motor line they chose to equip the buggy is junk, what do you expect for a 100.00 motor? buy the 10.00 backplate, knife edge the conrod, port/polish the sleve, modfiy the crank. now you have a RACE MOTOR.

I bet in the right hand's the RTR buggy could win any club level or national event.

I am not sponsored by JQ but do have there line of buggy and ill never buy another line of buggy again. THERE THAT GOOD...
Teamgimpy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Whatever you decide on just stay away from the D8S. ESPECIALLY if you are planning on racing. My friend bought one and raced it twice. It's WAY underpowered and broke both times. He sold it to one of his friends that just wanted it for messing around the house. Long story short is he decided to race it. I'm fairly certain in the 3 times he made it to the track the car has never been able to finish 2 qualifiers yet alone finish a longer main. The money you will spend fixing/upgrading that car to make it track worthy simply is not worth it.

Good luck
Fear Farm Raceway
JoePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamgimpy72 View Post
Hello
I have to chime in on this one, been building 1/8th scale offroad buggys now for 23 years now. Raced them now for 17 of those years,

I am going to call horse crap your your claim of them being "junk" or low quality. The aluminum/plastic/steel in these kit's are almost BOMB proof

The adjustablity of these chassis leave's all the other manufacturer's in the stone age.

In my opinion JQ remind's me of Associated back in the day, when you could build a kit out of the box, go win the world's with it.

You say the motor line they chose to equip the buggy is junk, what do you expect for a 100.00 motor? buy the 10.00 backplate, knife edge the conrod, port/polish the sleve, modfiy the crank. now you have a RACE MOTOR.

I bet in the right hand's the RTR buggy could win any club level or national event.

I am not sponsored by JQ but do have there line of buggy and ill never buy another line of buggy again. THERE THAT GOOD...
Uh, no.

Never seen a fast racer win jack $%^* with a RTR.

Can't win if you break down. All RTR's are inferior. If you're planning on sticking with racing, allways start with a kit you build yourself.

Get the good stuff. Get quality servos and engines. Save the RTR's for bashers and Traxxas racers.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Uh, no.

Never seen a fast racer win jack $%^* with a RTR.

Can't win if you break down. All RTR's are inferior. If you're planning on sticking with racing, allways start with a kit you build yourself.

Get the good stuff. Get quality servos and engines. Save the RTR's for bashers and Traxxas racers.
I won some novice club races with the Losi RTR. A seasoned racer that doesn't wreck can race that buggy as is no doubt about it. The only weak point on that car out of the box is the plastic shock caps. Of course the servos are not the best and will eventually need replaced, but other than that it's a good ride. The Losi 350 was also able to clear everything at our local track. It's not cheap compared to other RTR's but you get what you pay for.
Fear Farm Raceway
JoePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Here is some track time with the JQ RTR.

http://vimeo.com/38346733
Keith Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote