Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks guys.. a lot of good advise. I have been running my losi 8 2.0 E for two yrs. I'm thinking mugen in january. motor's. I had good luck with osmax back in the day. going to do some reading and see how they are holding up. NO belt's for me just transmissions. I like to tinker and make it perfect. test.. take notes, I know shocks and tires make a race. a good tuned motor and pipe... steady driving and finishing a race...... Priceless ..
I will never use a spectrum. been there done that.. running a boat in San Diego got me a law suit. took me 5 yrs to pay it off... Long story. short one hit a guy sitting in a chair fishing. he was in the hospital for a week getting his crotch fixed. I still feel the pain
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Xray XB9 or Mugen 6
OS XZB, 2090 pipe, P3 plug, or Mugen B02 (easy to tune engines)
Hitec 7955 servos
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM
cdc
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Kyosho MP9 TKI3
O.S Speed
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Agama

SOme have kinda mentioned it, but Agama is another up and coming brand. I had seen a few people run them locally for months but never paid attention. One day I found a good deal on here and jumped on it. Im very happy I did. the first race it took some major hits as I had never driven an 1/8th buggy before, I mean some NASTY hits... and nothing broke. That, to me, proved it's durability.

It was also very fast all around. Incredible accel and corner speed. It can be, when setup correctly, one of the best buggies out there. Its also easy to work on and well designed. good fit and very lightweight. I was very impressed.

for motor, I run the Novarossi P5xlt engine. got it for less than 200 brand new and it kicks some serious ass. Its not even fully broken in yet (almost 3/4 gallons on it, still getting better and better). easy to tune, chunks of power and great top end speed.

As you can tell, im very happy with my stuff. Just my $.02

good lucky buying. Nowadays, as long as you go with the main brands, you cant really go toooo wrong. Oh yea, I think the Agama may be the cheapest of all the major buggies (goor racing buggies, that is)... the US Spec kit is around 460-470 on A-main. Can't beat that.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chopper82p
if a mugen mbx7 comes out, probably that. I run mugen now and am very happy with it. very durable and very high quality. i dont have much experience with other kits except losi, and I like mugen a lot better than my old losi. Losi may be coming out with a 3.0 though so maybe that will be better but i think the mugen is gonna be pretty good.
Thanks chopper82p! that is something that we can look forward for 2013...Hoping for some prototype pics soon!!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

As I just got into nitro this year, I may be able to provide a little insight. If you are already running the Losi 8ight E 2.0, why not get the nitro. This will cut down the amount of spares you need to keep on hand as a lot of the parts are interchangeable. You also have experiance with the chassis already so set up and tuning should be easier. I bought the RTR to get started. Comes with most everything needed to get started. The Losi 350 engine is no P.O.S. Either. I ran it most of the season, almost 8 gallons through it and it is still going strong. The servos though, that's a different story. Use them for breaking it in, but replace them before putting it on the track for any racing. They will let you down. I'm running the 2.0EU now. Love this buggy and to the dismay of all my new friends I made at the track, I'll be sticking with the Losi for a while. (they are all Xray fans) As with anything though, do your research and get what feels right for you. You can also go down to the track and check out your options. Go talk to people and see if they will let you take a good look at what they are running, or even run a couple laps with it. That's how I made my decision. Take care and have fun making the decision!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

bigalila Thanks for the info.. and all the rest of you that have given a lot of great ideas.. the new mugen sounds to good ... I was thinking along the same lines of losi. I love it. it took a lot of learning to get it dialed in after being out of the sport for 30 yrs then getting back to it now for two yrs and now as a elect bug its great. I have extra parts I could almost build one. the rtr sounds like buy and add fuel go have fun. My biggest problem is I over build. right now I 'm saving for rc-scoring pro timing system and tower $ for track.. I'm opening next yr on my property. so purchasing a new one will be in the middle of next yr, maybe then losi comes out with a 3.0 or mugen with the new upgrades.. any way.. keep these ideas coming and if you have any pictrures of these units please feel free to post some.. Thanks