R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2012, 03:34 AM   #91
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van
Posts: 2,903
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler777 View Post
Ya nitro ST racing is a blast!!! But where are you getting your prices? $100 will get you a .12 plenty fast enough to race with....and as far as wheels/tires go, your only buying pairs, not sets at a time, so it's still cheaper than 1/8 scale...the issue is, atleast here in the states, is that 1/10 offroad nitro pretty much has been forgotten about ever since ROAR dropped it from their sanctioned classes...I'd love to see it back just as strong as 1/8 again....
I'm not in the USA so ST and truggy never took off here.The .12 issue is that the ones available are the nitro TC ones and expensive ones.And your right about tires,I do have a 2wd buggy (that I don't like,because it needs so much setup help than my 1/8th scales) and the front ones wear way less than the rears.
__________________
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
30Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #92
Tech Master
 
hustler777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: indawoods, WI
Posts: 1,109
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hustler777 Send a message via Yahoo to hustler777
Default

Ahhhh gotcha!!! How's the short course class across the pond? Takin off yet?? Associated just came out with a 2wd SC nitro...
__________________
Sometimes you gotta go back to come back...
hustler777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #93
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,621
Default

@hustler777:
Trucks were never popular in Europe, there was never any real stadium truck racing.. I think SC had a brief upswing in the UK/England, but I don't think it really hit it off in any other countries that i know of..

Europeans are buggy people, and mostly 4WD 2WD not so much.
Eivind E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #94
Tech Addict
 
Ehatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Binfield,TN
Posts: 512
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I'm trying my hand at nitro this winter for the first time. I'll admit it has been tough and down right discouraging, but I've had a lot of help. I have found myself on the sideline fixing problems that I have due to just not knowing what to do or set something up properly. Break in, tune, fuel, figure out idle, figure out why the engine flames out. It's a lot of knowledge to try to grasp, and I feel that is one one of the reasons why nitro is losing its flame. Locally at my track it is alive and well due to plenty of people to ask for help, it has really helped me sorta learn the ropes being able to ask someone for assistance and having it so readily available is great.
__________________
Insert every single piece of RC equipment you own here.

www.rocckracing.com
Ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #95
Tech Master
 
JoePit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,278
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Working on and troubleshooting nitro engines is what keeps me interested. Preventative maintenance can make life a lot easier. Change your engine bearings before they tell you to change them. Check your clutch after every race day. Fuel line is also one of those things that needs to be looked after. The pressure line more so. This weekend my car was lean bogging down the straight out of nowhere. I immediately started fattening things up and it was running better. Took it back to the bench after I thought I was good to go for the main and found the pressure line was off the pipe. It split right at the inlet. Replace line and start tuning again as now I was WAY rich.

Moral of the story is I got all flustered and started making major changes to my tune for no reason at all. Chances are if you need a DRASTIC change in tune from 1 heat to the next something mechanical has gone wrong. What I have started to learn is it's not the tune more often than not when your engine is having issues.
__________________
Joe Pitruzzello AKA Joe Pit
Losi 8ight B 3.0|Losi 8ight T 3.0|Losi SCT Nitro|Radiopost|Red Rock Hobbies
www.redrockhobbies.com
Fear Farm Raceway
JoePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #96
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePit View Post
Working on and troubleshooting nitro engines is what keeps me interested. Preventative maintenance can make life a lot easier. Change your engine bearings before they tell you to change them. Check your clutch after every race day. Fuel line is also one of those things that needs to be looked after. The pressure line more so. This weekend my car was lean bogging down the straight out of nowhere. I immediately started fattening things up and it was running better. Took it back to the bench after I thought I was good to go for the main and found the pressure line was off the pipe. It split right at the inlet. Replace line and start tuning again as now I was WAY rich.

Moral of the story is I got all flustered and started making major changes to my tune for no reason at all. Chances are if you need a DRASTIC change in tune from 1 heat to the next something mechanical has gone wrong. What I have started to learn is it's not the tune more often than not when your engine is having issues.
One of the smartest things I have seen posted in a while ...I cannot agree with you more...!

I cannot count the amount of times I have seen or heard of guys chasing the needles all day long while completely overlooking the most basic of mechanical issues.....Nitro is much easier then people realize it is....and as a rule people create much of their own issues without even realizing it....the tendency to want to tinker when no tinkering is needed !
__________________
http://www.thenitroshop.com/
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #97
Tech Master
 
AZRC4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 1,147
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

"When you hear hoof-beats, look for horses not zebras."

I use this quote all the time when it's time to troubleshoot.
__________________
Sean Gaffney
...where some sponsors used to be...
AZRC4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #98
Tech Addict
 
Ehatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Binfield,TN
Posts: 512
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePit View Post
Working on and troubleshooting nitro engines is what keeps me interested. Preventative maintenance can make life a lot easier. Change your engine bearings before they tell you to change them. Check your clutch after every race day. Fuel line is also one of those things that needs to be looked after. The pressure line more so. This weekend my car was lean bogging down the straight out of nowhere. I immediately started fattening things up and it was running better. Took it back to the bench after I thought I was good to go for the main and found the pressure line was off the pipe. It split right at the inlet. Replace line and start tuning again as now I was WAY rich.

Moral of the story is I got all flustered and started making major changes to my tune for no reason at all. Chances are if you need a DRASTIC change in tune from 1 heat to the next something mechanical has gone wrong. What I have started to learn is it's not the tune more often than not when your engine is having issues.
That's how I am as well. I may be a nitro noob but I will not let a little tiny engine beat me. I will figure the little sucker out, even if I die trying. Some people may not be that way, though. The first thing a newcomer thinks about is getting the car out there and driving the wheels off of it. Nitro woes could end up leaving a bad taste in their mouth for the fact that you really can't just throw it out there and and expect it to go go go, like everyone else's.
learning the ropes is part of the nitro game.

Now let's hope I can find a pit man when I get to the track lol.
__________________
Insert every single piece of RC equipment you own here.

www.rocckracing.com
Ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #99
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 194
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Welp, this electric guy is going to be pitting a nitro buggy again this weekend! Then after this weekend will own the buggy I am pitting!

Biggest reason I am going to be getting the nitro rig is that he is going to help me along the way with the tune etc. Not to mention he will pit me at the races as well. So we have a team thing getting started.
fulbore4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #100
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Underground, Ohio
Posts: 4,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
One of the smartest things I have seen posted in a while ...I cannot agree with you more...!

I cannot count the amount of times I have seen or heard of guys chasing the needles all day long while completely overlooking the most basic of mechanical issues.....Nitro is much easier then people realize it is....and as a rule people create much of their own issues without even realizing it....the tendency to want to tinker when no tinkering is needed !
Exactly. An OS/NR/Mugen/RB carb deosn't just go wonky and need tons of tuning on it's own. With todays ultra hot plugs tuning should be fairly easy.

Too many newer and experienced nitro guys play with needles when thier car/engine is just plain broken.

Fuel line, clutch, fuel tank bubbles, spray WD40 or brakeclean around front bearings, pipe leaks, bad plug, weak ignitor, slow box, poor gear mesh, leaky carb, retarded throttle linkage, dirty air filter, and so much more to trouble shoot whenever your needles are way off.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #101
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van
Posts: 2,903
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
@hustler777:
Trucks were never popular in Europe, there was never any real stadium truck racing.. I think SC had a brief upswing in the UK/England, but I don't think it really hit it off in any other countries that i know of..

Europeans are buggy people, and mostly 4WD 2WD not so much.
@hustler777 As Eivind says even SC racing has been hit or miss,4wd buggy is really strong and 2wd has become as strong as 4wd around me.That's why I have one of each but they don't get much attention.

I think one the most important gear after the engine itself is the clutch.A bad clutch will make you chase your tail with pipe selection,engine tune,bearings...
__________________
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
30Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #102
Tech Master
 
hustler777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: indawoods, WI
Posts: 1,109
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hustler777 Send a message via Yahoo to hustler777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
@hustler777 As Eivind says even SC racing has been hit or miss,4wd buggy is really strong and 2wd has become as strong as 4wd around me.That's why I have one of each but they don't get much attention.

I think one the most important gear after the engine itself is the clutch.A bad clutch will make you chase your tail with pipe selection,engine tune,bearings...
Couldnt agree with you more!! Your motor could be tuned perfect, but a bad clutch setup can make that tune worthless
__________________
Sometimes you gotta go back to come back...
hustler777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:19 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net